Author Topic: Leading  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Leading
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:12:55 pm »
Is leading a regiment easy? What is the hardest part about leading one?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
Re: Leading
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »
From experience, leading a small regiment is easy. Less organization goes into it, and it's easier to manage the soldiers. However, when you start growing to sizes over 20, then things change. You now have to worry about lots of people, most of which may not show up to events or training last minute. The larger the regiment, the more organization, and a more "fixed" schedule is needed. Management is a huge part of a regiment. If you can't manage people, then don't make a new regiment.

I left this short and sweet. I could write a book about leading a regiment. Lol.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:35:35 pm »
 Leading comes down to determination. Any regiment, casual or not, you need to be active. If the officers are not active, the rest of the regiment will quickly become inactive. I experienced this when I suddenly had no time Monday-Thursday to do anything online, save what I can do on my phone. When your officers are too lazy/not experienced, and do not do events on weekdays, your regiment will become pretty inactive. That's what I've experienced, and I'm now working on changing that, by getting better officers, having my current officers play more often, etc. At least one thing every day every week is ideal, but one thing every 2-3 days, I would say, is mandatory if you want active members. That's my two cents! ;)

EDIT: Also, you should never accept getting into bullshit-drama-fights with other regiments. Even if another regiment started it, it's important to just let it go, and not feed the trolls.

Offline Hawkes

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »
Relax. Don't become a dictator. Make friends with the regiment members.

Offline Bastard

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »
I only have experience from leading native (I'm just a Cpl in NW), and all I can add is this; be friends with your members, but if a member is putting the other members at risk of being trolled, DEAL WITH IT!

A member who starts seriously trolling another regiment can ruin a regiments reputation.
Don't have rules that are to over the top, In my regiment they don't let you talk in Global, I don't agree with this as it creates a unfriendly environment, but I see the sense in it.
Don't allow racism, I know it is different between two friends but there have been situations in my native clan were we have lost a member because of the usual "banter" (It involved Welsh people and sheeps alright ;P).
Have meetings where the members can express their concerns without being 'attacked' for it.

Meh, this might be shitty advice but I hope it helps :D

-Bastard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:38:06 pm by Bastard »

Offline Londnred

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »
Rule with an iron fist and flog all dissenters!  ;D

Seriously though, you need a lot of free time that you are willing to give up for the good of the regiment.

Offline Peter Broetz

• Brigadier General
  • batteries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:29:06 pm »
Start something small if you are just starting out as a commander. Skirmishers or arty is a good choice, you only have to manage a small amount of people. Also finding a good friend to assist running the regiment should also help.

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »
Just rule like Bismarck did. With iron and blood, lead the regiment with your iron fist and show people that when they join your regiment they shouldnt be fucking about and make an ass out of your regiment.

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:44:37 pm »
I'll agree to most of these.

After my regiment hit 100+, I had to split command into seperate sections in order to keep things organized.

Small regiments: Easy

Large regiments: difficult but possible.

Offline Lowlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
The hardest thing about leading a regiment is the amount of effort it takes. Many people here are saying leading a small regiment is easy. I think they are the wrong. It is very hard, in my opinion, to lead a small regiment. I would spend hours and hours recruiting and trying to get members. Then after all those hours had past I would again spend even more hours editing the TW/FSE thread, managing the regiment forums, organising ranks and promotions etc etc.

If you have the constitution and the time to put a lot of hours in to a regiment over a period of many months then you should succeed to some amount. What a lot of people dont realise is that is is very hard and demanding to lead a regiment. Its probably the main reason many fail.

Offline nicknick12

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nicholas
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »
Leading a lb is fine or ok but making keeping it organized is hard
Cavalry Groupfighting Admin NA/EU

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:08 am »
Leading a regiment is a pain in the ass. It takes alot of work so like blood,tears and sweet. The hardest thing about it is when people are disloyal or try to make politcs within the regiment and they try to destroy the regiment. Recruitment is hard , but it is a thing everyone must do. In conlusion Its a very hard thing to do ( lead a regiment ) but once you get there it is 100% worth it.

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:56:21 am »
Leading a regiment is a pain in the ass. It takes alot of work so like blood,tears and sweet. The hardest thing about it is when people are disloyal or try to make politcs within the regiment and they try to destroy the regiment. Recruitment is hard , but it is a thing everyone must do. In conlusion Its a very hard thing to do ( lead a regiment ) but once you get there it is 100% worth it.

That pretty much sums it up, but Recruiting is easy for me :D

Offline Mack

• Donator
  • " Hear me roar "
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lannes Mack
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:29:44 pm »
Keeping the regiment active.
Lannes Mack

Proudly commanded the 4e Grenadiers for two and a halve years

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:52 am »
I would have to say its hardest at the beginning and in the middle. The beginning is the grind of recruiting new people and keeping moral high. At this point you need to bank in people you believe to have good leadership skills and are active. In the middle the people you chose to help you with everything have to learn from you. but you have to learn also. Then at the end you become self sufficient (every man has a job) and the regiment relies less and less on you to actually do Physical work. But i would have to say the actual hardest thing is recruiting and keeping people active. 1 in 4 Rcts actually become active members. I have 100 some people in my clan and only 50 of them are actually active. (come twice a week) then about 15 come to every event and those are the kind of people you learn to love because they are the ones that keep it going.

Early:
+No management needed
-Learning curve
-Getting Recruits
-Finding how you lead
-you suck
-your small

Medium
+Officers should be chosen
-your just a little bit smaller than everyone else. Hence you suck.
-Possibility of wrong choice
-Not quite self sufficient
-Lots of management (you don't know what needs to be done yet)

Late:
+the regiment becomes self sufficient
+Line battles become insanely fun
+you get good and so do your officers
+the active people are known and help with everything they can
+you realize what must be done on a regular basis ending the phase of ignorance.
-subject to power grabs
-you can get tired (the thought of "i won" is a bad one.)