Author Topic: Community Representatives. Do they actually make a difference?  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Flash

• Second Lieutenant
  • Bang On!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Flash
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Community Representatives. Do they actually make a difference?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:35 pm »
If I personally didn't think the CRs were making any difference then I'd have already stepped down. The only reason I'm putting this effort in is because I want to see the community get better. And because I have no life obviously...

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »
Allow me to point out the ComRep Support/Progress Thread.

I'm sure you have seen it. It appears to me they're being efficient in solving issues brought before the community, given the latest decision was the problem you posted about. So yes, they are making a difference.

Offline Spearing

• Donator
  • Has Brass Balls
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:57 am »
I'm just going to throw this up here now:

I am announcing now that I will not be running for re-election.

If you're easily offended and like to be a forum-warrior, then by all means click the spoiler to read my reasons, but here's the TL;DR for those that like simple news without reading pages and pages of info

TL;DR It's not working out, and nothing has really become fruitful. Being a CR is just like being involved in RL politics in the way that everyone is hyped during and before the election season, but then right after no one really cares, or even wants to after all is said and done.

Reasons~

Spoiler
So, as far as my thing about people not really caring after the election goes, I'm seeing a lot of people (Cough OP cough) make threads, posts, etc. along the lines of this very thread: "Rageragerage I wanted to be a CR but didn't get it rageragerage", or something like "Blargh promises weren't kept ad;kjbsdfkgjb! Let me spout my rage and frustration on the forums to rile the populace into glorious revolution!". This being said, I have my reasons.

It's easiest said by providing the example of my NW Community Grievances Thread. I posted that literally within 3 days of being elected, without anyone even asking me to, hoping to get some sort of list of problems that needed to be solved, so that way it's not like a bored congress that just randomly makes laws so they can be seen as doing something. Sadly, ver few people actually submitted genuine complaints. By genuine, I mean massive community-wise concerns. We had a load of people shouting "Do something!" and not very many people saying "Do this!".... or, rather, providing an intelligent alternative to the current agenda emplaced by the FSE team. Most of the complaints on my thread and all following threads of it's ilk were along the lines of "Who is this person and why is he this!?" or "Why is this that way?". To put it simply, they were small fry problems, capable of being solved without any real CR congress on them. Now, I've been spectating most of the discussions on the House of Commons area (That's the name of the CR-Only forum section, I'm not certain you guys can even see it, but that's where we discuss issues) and let me tell you this: true, I have not posted a lot. True, I have not always shared my opinions or contributed, but do not ever accuse me of being absent as far as being informed goes.

I made sure I knew every problem, or at least knew the outline of it so that if it ever came that I should have to speak or make a point, I was very prepared. I read, or at least skimmed twice, most, if not all, posts on that forum. This brings me to my crescendo:

Now, I'm not here to cause strife between FSE and the community. I'm not accusing the community of letting the CR's down, but I am. The community seems to think that CR's have all the answers, but that's not what we're here for. We're here to try to give answers to your issues. But we CANNOT, and I repeat this: CANNOT, provide answers when no questions are presented in the first place.

To those who suggest the CR's are impotent, perhaps you should think of actually presenting serious, well written problems to them, via PM, post, or whatnot. Do not simply expect change because you're a bystander. If you are such a caped crusader of the community, and without naming anyone, as once more, I'm not here to cause strife, nor am I here to take sides, but if you are such a vigilante of Justice and Judgement, then for the good of all that is fried, please put your energy into something positive rather than simply dropping drama nukes onto this already slowly eroding forum in the hopes of getting some smear of attention, however positive it might minutely be.

Now, as my term comes to a close, I can speak for some of what I have experienced.

To me, it is true that the CR's are sort of under the FSE team. Being a CR really feels like you're just the sort of assistant secretary of the community or something. I personally felt like I was just simply wasting my time for the most part with trying to get most things done. I saw a fair bit of, once more naming no names, without creating malice or emotions, but facts are facts here: I saw a fair bit of people on BOTH the FSE team AND the CR's reviving issues with old counters and possibilities just before they were about to be resolved. It just seemed like a cycle of indecisiveness.

Conclusion:

CR's  are a good idea. This is the "First Community Congress" that has graced this board. If you expect it to be perfect, then you surely don't understand how a democracy, or even a government works. Change is slow, politics slow things down, and usually very little is achieved over a very long time, but eventually it works as the wheels become greased and the system warms up. The indecisiveness of the 1st Community Congress is not the fault of anyone. It's not the fault of the FSE team, nor is it the fault of the CR's, or even the community itself. Everyone has a part to play. The CR's were created by the FSE team to help basically manage a boiling over community in a time of essentially a social meltdown. The CR's therefore were made to represent the community, but what happens when there is no community to represent? Who presented all the un-named and un-spoken of issues in the community to us? Barely anyone, if anyone at all. Did the CR's do their duty? Yes and no. They tried to work out small issues, but they didn't have a constitution to go by. Did the FSE team help? Yes and no. We're still figuring out the line between the powers of CR and the FSE gents, but that's not to say that there is some overpowering force that causes the CR's to become impotent. Did the community as a whole fail? In this man's opinion, it failed more than it succeed.
Only time will tell if the CR plan works out, and we can only tell if FSE and the community will ever be able to reach a sustainable equilibrium.

So, to top it off: All you hell-raisers, muckrakers, and yellow journalists: Congrats, you've accomplished very little yourself by pretending to be the bringers of truth. If you put energy into actually trying to provide assistance and unity, then maybe everyone might get along a bit better, but alas, everyone seems to just want to be more right than the next guy. I'm not running again. I'm not in despair, but I'm not specially inspired. The FSE team, the CR's, and the community as a whole need to stop being (for lack of a better word) twats and playing the blame game from what I've been reading and start being friends again.

TL;DR stop being twits and just f*cking kiss and make up, arguing (including seemingly "intelligent, friendly debate") solves nothing, and only a common friendship can really get everyone back on their feet. From the highest admin to the lowest pubber, stop being fuckwits.

Over & Out 1st Congress, Best Wishes and Tally-Ho to the 2nd. I'll ride out my term by keeping informed and an eye out for something worth an effort.

~Spearing.
[close]

Offline Getty

• Major
  • Leader of the Nr9.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr9_Oberst_Getty
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 12:10:48 am »
Is it too late to appoint myself for fascist dictator?

Offline Harbinger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:49 am »
Is it too late to appoint myself for fascist dictator?
You better not cross the Rubicon

Offline Spearing

• Donator
  • Has Brass Balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:51 am »
And so Spearing silences the room. (blows gun barrel, holsters)

My job here is done.

/Ontopic

Getty, may I be High Lord Commissar of His Dictatorship's Forces?

AntonioTheWorstAtMelee

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 12:59:24 am »
I am someone who has recently started to frequent the forums (Before the CR) I have noticed no difference what so ever.  At first I didn't even know they had started having "Community Representatives." I honestly think (I have no idea who the CRs are therefore I hold no prejudice) having "Community Representatives" is a stupid (excuse my simple wording) thing.  Unless you get a "Representative" from EVERY regiment/community/group of people with a shared idea etc. then there will be an imbalance and unfairness in the forums.  I have seen no good things coming from the "Community Representatives." All I have seen from these "Community Representatives" are flame wars about them.

These are my 2 cents.  I have no prejudice against any of the "Community Representatives" only my observation on what they have done.

tl;dr: What are "CRs" / only see flame wars about them nothing else.

Offline Getty

• Major
  • Leader of the Nr9.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr9_Oberst_Getty
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 01:17:04 am »

My job here is done.

/Ontopic

Yes. My giant army is under construction who will join me? Death to the communists I mean everyone who apposes me.

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 01:17:52 am »

My job here is done.

/Ontopic

Yes. My giant army is under construction who will join me? Death to the communists I mean everyone who apposes me.
I shall join you Getty!!

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde ImpĂ©riale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:23 am »
I am someone who has recently started to frequent the forums (Before the CR) I have noticed no difference what so ever.  At first I didn't even know they had started having "Community Representatives." I honestly think (I have no idea who the CRs are therefore I hold no prejudice) having "Community Representatives" is a stupid (excuse my simple wording) thing.  Unless you get a "Representative" from EVERY regiment/community/group of people with a shared idea etc. then there will be an imbalance and unfairness in the forums.  I have seen no good things coming from the "Community Representatives." All I have seen from these "Community Representatives" are flame wars about them.

These are my 2 cents.  I have no prejudice against any of the "Community Representatives" only my observation on what they have done.

tl;dr: What are "CRs" / only see flame wars about them nothing else.
Community Representatives are people chosen by members of the community present on the forums, and that is really the only group of the community that needs to worry about the Community Representatives, as this group is the only group that will be affected by the CRs (in most cases). Flame wars have been really the only high-profile thing the average user can see on the topic of the CRs (besides the issue summaries), that is true at the moment, but let me assure you that there are a lot of great things happening backstage.  ;)

Mindless banter.
So you want to kill anyone who asks you questions? Why would anyone want to do that?

I mean...er...

I shall join you Getty!!
Excuse me sir, but it seems your in-game name is attempting to leave your forum profile.
[close]

Kielbasa!

Offline Megaberna

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Megaberna
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:00 am »
So because they agree with FSE means they are doing something wrong?

They have successfully and without any drama managed to fix like three or four problems already. Considering this is the first time that representatives are in use and that it is totally new for everyone (admins, moderators, representatives and forum users alike) it is pretty impressive what they achieved so far.

So yes, they do make a difference.

They have achieved so much indeed...some very good thread were created with some very good texts-

And i am quite surpised with some posts. Interesting chat is interesting.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 01:55:08 pm »
Enough 'there are great things happening backstage'. I call for a globally visible Community Reps area. Just as the Houses of Parliament and US Congress are open to public audience should the CR be. This way our elected representatives will have the incentive to stay on the ball, and not to get relaxed in their positions of high power. Forum Staff, who even after the launch of CRs have made some awful and downright abusive decisions, will have their actions exposed for all to scrutinise in the limelight. Allowing us to look for ourselves is the only way we can fully resolve the answer of this thread's posed question.
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Megaberna

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Megaberna
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
Enough 'there are great things happening backstage'. I call for a globally visible Community Reps area. Just as the Houses of Parliament and US Congress are open to public audience should the CR be. This way our elected representatives will have the incentive to stay on the ball, and not to get relaxed in their positions of high power. Forum Staff, who even after the launch of CRs have made some awful and downright abusive decisions, will have their actions exposed for all to scrutinise in the limelight. Allowing us to look for ourselves is the only way we can fully resolve the answer of this thread's posed question.

I would also agree on a public view of the CR's area. Not allowed to post but to view the current situation of wha it is being discussed.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:17 pm »
The CR's area is not and will not be made publicly viewable, simply to protect the privacy of the Com Reps themselves. Even in the first month of their term, we've had to deal with some incredibly controversial issues (The 91st LB Embargo, for instance), and in the interests of keeping the peace we decided that the Community Reps (And their discussions) should be kept directly private.

This was actually one of the first decisions made by the Com Reps themselves. You can find the full write-up here: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=3631.msg112494#msg112494

Titled "Presentation of Outcomes"

The decision was made (By the Com Reps) to not publish the entire discussion threads, simply because they don't want to be targeted for telling hard truths, and to be honest I don't really blame them. We as moderators have to be seen to take a hard-line stance on certain types of users, and we get an expected level of abuse thrown at us as a result, but the Community Reps are only in office for 2 months, and the overall decision was made that it would be better to allow the conversations themselves to remain private and to instead write the summaries you can see in the link above, so that the Com Reps & FSE Staff are able to discuss the issues directly without the gag of knowing their words will be directly viewable by the people they're potentially talking about.

The points made by every Contributor to each decision are detailed in the summaries, which are also written up by the Community Reps themselves. We hope that this, combined with their relatively short term (It's only two months, after all), will serve to keep them on their toes and prevent them from getting complacent.

However, if you wish, we can start adding time & date stamps to each of the points made in the summaries, alongside adding them to the decisions being discussed/concluded, detailed in the thread above.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »
Little kids and warmongerers demand, gentleman request.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?