Author Topic: Who is the most overrated general/leader in history?  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Gringo

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Who is the most overrated general/leader in history?
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2019, 02:50:58 pm »
Gustav II Adolf, Friedrich II, Washington, Kutuzov, Wellington, Grant, Rommel, Zhukov, Montgomery, MacArthur, de Gaulle, Kennedy, Che Guevara, Putin, Obama

Offline Rikkert

• First Lieutenant
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2019, 02:19:14 am »
15th_YR_Cpt_Gi and 15th_YR_SjtMaj_Irish :)

Offline corentin_murat

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2019, 05:32:18 pm »
15th_YR_Cpt_Gi and 15th_YR_SjtMaj_Irish :)
Report you will be demote Rikkito  ;)

Offline sirkaide

• First Lieutenant
  • Founder of the 59th & Jailbreak - www.59th.eu
    • View Profile
    • 59th Website
  • Nick: Not politically correct
  • Side: Union
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:14 pm »
Being one of the few people in NW who studies military history alongside being in the British military I have a few remarks.

A lot of generals in the late 19th century and the early 20th century don't get enough credit. Many of them fought in dozens of battles and skirmishes but get downgraded because they didn't conquer an Empire. Generals in the modern era don't just fight on land. They command the seas, the land, the air, cyber space etc. It is rare you get leaders and generals that are uniquely credited with winning a battle. A leader has a variety of experts and fellow commanders who do just as much of the work. I won't be negative and say who is overrated (American WWII generals)...

Though I personally consider Alexander the Great, Napoleon the Great, Duke John Churchill and Admiral Lord (Horatio) Nelson my favourite military tacticians.

On to another note, I want to pay tribute to one of the most senior Officers to die in the modern era was British Officer H.Jones, Lt. Col of the Parachute Regiment who died in the Falklands Conflict, 1982. Without a doubt a very courageous man who charged an Argentinian machine gun position, knowing full well his death was highly likely. He was given the Victorian Cross for his deeds.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:51:36 pm by sirkaide »