Author Topic: Malakith Community Representative/Global Moderator (How?)  (Read 18464 times)

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Malakith Community Representative/Global Moderator (How?)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:22 am »
AFAIK it was made clear that any member of the community could apply.
A moderator is still a member of the community, it's just that he or she is volunteering to spend some of his/hers own time to moderate the forums.
Just like a community representative is nothing but a volunteer who gathers complaints, suggestions and compliments and reports them to the FSE team.
I see the conflict of interest, however Mal would to me, seem like a good candidate as a GMod. Perhaps bad timing, but re-elections will be happening soon and I doubt Mal will stand for election.
Agreed.

I think it's time to stop nitpicking at FSE now. We have Community Reps who will do what they can to be our voice (even if it is very little, like some say) and as Blob responded to Menelaos, the new GMs are to take a load off of the dev team so they can focus more on the game. Something in which Malakith can do in addition to him continuing to represent the community.

In the end, who lays in bed at night thinking of things such as this, anyhow?

Offline Carolus.

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Norge är ändå helt okej
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:35 am »
AFAIK it was made clear that any member of the community could apply.
A moderator is still a member of the community, it's just that he or she is volunteering to spend some of his/hers own time to moderate the forums.
Just like a community representative is nothing but a volunteer who gathers complaints, suggestions and compliments and reports them to the FSE team.
I see the conflict of interest, however Mal would to me, seem like a good candidate as a GMod. Perhaps bad timing, but re-elections will be happening soon and I doubt Mal will stand for election.
Agreed.

I think it's time to stop nitpicking at FSE now. We have Community Reps who will do what they can to be our voice (even if it is very little, like some say) and as Blob responded to Menelaos, the new GMs are to take a load off of the dev team so they can focus more on the game. Something in which Malakith can do in addition to him continuing to represent the community.

In the end, who lays in bed at night thinking of things such as this, anyhow?

Im in bed, thinking about this. He should step down. Tired. ZZzz.............

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:17 am »
but since FSE think they actually are important i would like to point this out as a very important matter both to the community and FSE and that it can generate a big conflict of ideas
Doesn't that imply that a community representative has some sort of value by your terms?

. And by the looks of it, many people agree that this is wrong and not suitable to have.
I count 3, if anything most initially were confused about the adding of moderators.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 05:05:18 am »

Jesus christ, you just reminded me that community reps are coming up for re-election again soon. I can't say this system has worked at all. Will there a vote to abolish it? It is a community matter, after all. If the community doesn't think that the reps are doing a good job of representing them, then can't we have a say? I don't know how many other people agree with me, but I think a significant amount do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:06:54 am by Nipplestockings »

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 05:13:41 am »

Jesus christ, you just reminded me that community reps are coming up for re-election again soon. I can't say this system has worked at all. Will there a vote to abolish it? It is a community matter, after all. If the community doesn't think that the reps are doing a good job of representing them, then can't we have a say? I don't know how many other people agree with me, but I think a significant amount do.

I'm not FSE so I wouldn't no, I would doubt that the Community Rep will fall through though. Progress has been somewhat slow but with all things, it takes time to discuss, ponder and implement. The fact that it was just set up will mean the sharp edges will need cleaned up. I see they have covered some issues already though.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:24 am »

You could probably set up a poll if you want. Personally I don't think it should be abolished regardless until further inspection 3 months from now when we've had about 3 cycles of reps go through the motions. At this point, from my perspective its good to have some fresh blood in the admin area since interactions between groups of users who share a history with the old admins hasn't been going so well. If it where up to me, all admins would not be part of any regiments either given what I've been seeing lately. However that is largely impossible given the nature of the community.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:27 am »
@Cop

It's hardly nitpicking. It's a major conflict of interest that makes him unfit for one of the two jobs. It's like a lawyer representing both parties at once in a courtroom.

Offline Vikestad

• Sergeant Major
  • "84e sheriff, white knight of truth and justice"
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Vikestad
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:45 pm »
@Cop

It's hardly nitpicking. It's a major conflict of interest that makes him unfit for one of the two jobs. It's like a lawyer representing both parties at once in a courtroom.

A bit extreme of an analogy don't you think? I mean, it's not like the FSE and "the community" are opposite poles, and the community isn't one single entity either. Even though I see why this is problematic, one could argue that if Malakith is the most active and fair representative, then he should be one of the best candidates for global moderator. To me, this isn't a real problem until Malakith dig a trench in the FSE camp when he shouldn't. Not sure if I like the idea of having tribunes of plebs representing us, though. Would be better to form parties in all honesty.
84e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:29 pm »
Well sod me sideways. When I endorsed Malakith being made a GM I had assumed that because you guys actually voted him into his position as Com Rep, you'd actually support him being given more power. But no, apparently even when we're giving power to people the community voted for, we're still doing it wrong. I'm pretty confident that if we'd promoted someone who wasn't a Community Rep, we'd still have had at least one rage thread, this one about how FSE is still the nepotistic giant it has apparently always been.

The only reason you see this as a conflict of interest is because you're still convinced that the community is split into two halves, and that FSE are out to get you. We aren't. We're here, doing the best job we can, and all we've been getting in response is shit thrown at us, over and over again. The Community Reps were never brought in to compete with the FSE mod team, they were put in place to work alongside us, and if you read some of the Decision Summaries posted :Here:, you might realise that.

There is no conflict of interest, because there aren't two sides to begin with. We are doing our level best to implement any reasonable change we can, that the community has asked for. Aside from the fact that all we seem to be getting from the community is complaints but no suggested solutions, I'm getting sick and tired of this "Them & Us" attitude that you, Hekko, among others, seem to be promoting. We've reformed that administration system. We've changed the rules governing Forum Moderation. We've made it much easier to make a complaint about an Admin or Moderator, and for it to be heard and discussed by an impartial group. We even allowed you to elect that impartial group, AND we then validated & rewarded your decision in voting in good candidates by promoting one of them to Global Moderator, and you've still got stuff to complain about. Every step of the goddamn way we've had complaints coming from all directions that we're somehow doing this out of selfishness, or that we're only doing it to shut you up, or that it's just part of some wider scheme to fuck you all over.

For once in your goddamn lives can you just consider that we're trying to do something to help you all, rather than to immediately jump to the worst conclusion possible in every single situation. We are not here to screw you all over, and we're doing our damn best to implement the changes you want. It is hugely difficult to do so, however, when you all insist on questioning and attacking us at every step. For once, just try and believe that we're not out to get you, and that we don't actually see ourselves as being on a different "Side".

Jesus christ.

- Blob
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Megaberna

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Megaberna
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 12:55:13 pm »
Wow Blob you have to calm down...you have to see this is a forum discussion.

For once in your goddamn lives can you just consider that we're trying to do something to help you all, rather than to immediately jump to the worst conclusion possible in every single situation.

Jesus christ.

- Blob

How can you bee a Global Moderator and say this?  How could you possible say this? This is not even true :O

I even find this offensive talking about my "goddam life" and how me and rest imediatly jump to bad conclusions while being here almost for 3 years (in my case ofc).

Maybe you should also step down? Is this too much for you to handle?

I also  sense you are beggining to talk about things who are not even true and being a little bit off-topic as well. Maybe you should be warned for posting off-topic stuff?

Offline Joker

• Donator
  • Face it Bats, you'd be lost without me
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Major_Joker
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:55 pm »
Surely that it is better to choose a Global Moderator that you know, Mal has been in the community for a fair amount of time,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:16:22 pm by Joker »

Offline Connzcdf

• Major
  • Act like a wasteman, that's not me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Connzcdf
  • Side: Union
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:41 pm »
I thought it was clearly stated that community representatives would not be given power. If it was mentioned in the elections I wouldn't mind. Although I would complain if they were doing a bad job of it. I feel FSE have attempted to do their best, and I give them credit for doing so, but it just so happens they broke one of their terms (I think) of the community reps.

Offline Flash

• Second Lieutenant
  • Bang On!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Flash
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 01:27:32 pm »
Admittedly, being the first set of Reps we were pretty slow to get started and there were a lot of issues that needed ironing out; but now that we're getting the hang of it and FSE have a system in place to deal with the issues we bring from the community, things are going pretty smoothly and already multiple issues have been resolved quickly and calmly without any need for drama threads. We actually discuss things with the FSE Team - there's no raging or flaming, simply rational discussions taking all "sides" into consideration. From what I've seen FSE are putting the effort in to try and change because of your input, but some people just want to watch this community burn and actively try to ruin that.

Community Reps are there to bring issues from the Community to the FSE Team. That's what we've been doing (evident in the Forum Grievances thread), but please bear in mind that we represent the entire community and not just the very small minority that have a vendetta against FSE. So a lot of the issues we deal with aren't big drama related ones, but smaller ones that would have been ignored if it wasn't for our direct link to the Mod Team.

Edited because I can't spell "thread".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:30:46 pm by Flash »

Offline Megaberna

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Megaberna
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 01:39:37 pm »
some people just want to watch this community burn and actively try to ruin that.

Most of them are just pointing out things and actions that we find to be wrong here.

Community Reps are there to bring issues from the Community to the FSE Team.

Exacly. If i have a problem (for example) with FSE, i would not be able to contact the CR's because if i contact them then eventually they would discuss between themselves with a FSE member of staff. And therefore influence the decision when in contact with the main members of FSE.

I see this as big confict of ideas and interests and highly irresponsible. He should only have one position in order to clarify and wash all these conflicts.

I thought it was clearly stated that community representatives would not be given power. If it was mentioned in the elections I wouldn't mind. Although I would complain if they were doing a bad job of it. I feel FSE have attempted to do their best, and I give them credit for doing so, but it just so happens they broke one of their terms (I think) of the community reps.

What he said.

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »
Another case of

FSE Actions > FSE Statements