Author Topic: Great Armies, which was your favorite?  (Read 42562 times)

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Great Armies, which was your favorite?
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »
Duuring,
I never met an Irish(in America) who considers himself/herself British... in a matter of fact that probably would be a pretty bad insult to call one British.

That is because the Irish existed a good thousand years before being conquered, county by county, by the English. You do know what a colony is, right?

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:05 pm »
that doesn't make the Irish less British though, how much they may hate it.

Well. Ireland has, at several points in time, been under British rule. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, we have Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, and thus you could call them British, as well as The Republic of Ireland, or Éire, which is made up of 'southern' Ireland and County Donegal.

Then I suppose you have the 'Irish' that are found in America. These are Americans who are about as Irish as I am German; I've been distantly related to German people, but never been there, never been part of the culture, and those ancestors are long dead anyway.
Like so, at the end of this joke. http://youtu.be/N0rUtSLZTlc?t=2m46s
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:39:52 pm by Ililsa »
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 09:46:48 pm »
Mr T
"Because you clearly have a MAJOR sense of bias and one-sidedness that gives Americans a bad hearing, you clearly have that attitude that gives Americans a bad name, that "Ooooh 'MURICA land of freedom, liberty, the British were tyrants who needed to be stopped with their evil! Blablablablacrap".
First of all, I don't have any bias, and I've never word by word said what your wrote about what I presumably said, so you might want to stop with clowning and begin to communicate like a grown up. I think you interpreted what I said the way you did because you are having hard time accepting the fact that Britain wronged colonies and suffered consequences because of it. Once again my so called "attitude", is nothing more than your imagination playing tricks on you. In a matter of fact I think you are the one who has some kinda stinky attitude about the whole thing. I noticed it among europeans that whenever you start mentioning America and how much you cherish our history, values and freedoms all of a sudden they become all butthurt and begin spazzing all over the thread with "MURICA and other nonsense.
"As a British person, I can accept that Britain did many bad things in its history, every country has in their history, America no exception, but to say that the British were evil tyrants in the Americas? Just not true."
When did i say that British were tyrants? What I insinuated precisely was that the regime was tyrannical and oppressive towards the colonies.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »
Just the point that Yaro didnt reply to mine before this one, proves he can't counter it =D

Spoiler
[close]
you realize that I talk to 4 people at once?... my apologize for not responding to your nonsense in timely fashion.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:07 pm »
What Bluehawk was saying that it shouldn't be claimed that the citizens of the Thirteen Colonies saw themselves as Americans.

He just used big words.
well, I can say that it shouldn't be claimed that they saw themselves as British either.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

you tell them sonny

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
Duuring,
I never met an Irish(in America) who considers himself/herself British... in a matter of fact that probably would be a pretty bad insult to call one British.

That is because the Irish existed a good thousand years before being conquered, county by county, by the English. You do know what a colony is, right?
and that means what precisely... are they English now? or British? or still Irish? or some kinda three in one?

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »
Ililsa,
"These are Americans who are about as Irish as I am German"
I dare you to come to St.Patrick's Day parade and make this statement to American Irishmen... make sure you purchase good health insurance before attempting it.

Please use the modify button; do not multi-post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:34:22 pm by McEwanMaster »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:41 pm »

Well. Ireland has, at several points in time, been under British rule. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, we have Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, and thus you could call them British, as well as The Republic of Ireland, or Éire, which is made up of 'southern' Ireland and County Donegal.

Then I suppose you have the 'Irish' that are found in America. These are Americans who are about as Irish as I am German; I've been distantly related to German people, but never been there, never been part of the culture, and those ancestors are long dead anyway.
Like so, at the end of this joke. http://youtu.be/N0rUtSLZTlc?t=2m46s
I'm descended from Germans too! On my Mums side, they came to Britain sometime in the 1860's, I'd love to learn about that side of my family though, I think my mum says they lived near Alsace Lorraine though my Uncle said ages ago they were Hessian.

Mr T
"Because you clearly have a MAJOR sense of bias and one-sidedness that gives Americans a bad hearing, you clearly have that attitude that gives Americans a bad name, that "Ooooh 'MURICA land of freedom, liberty, the British were tyrants who needed to be stopped with their evil! Blablablablacrap".
First of all, I don't have any bias, and I've never word by word said what your wrote about what I presumably said, so you might want to stop with clowning and begin to communicate like a grown up. I think you interpreted what I said the way you did because you are having hard time accepting the fact that Britain wronged colonies and suffered consequences because of it. Once again my so called "attitude", is nothing more than your imagination playing tricks on you. In a matter of fact I think you are the one who has some kinda stinky attitude about the whole thing. I noticed it among europeans that whenever you start mentioning America and how much you cherish our history, values and freedoms all of a sudden they become all butthurt and begin spazzing all over the thread with "MURICA and other nonsense.
"As a British person, I can accept that Britain did many bad things in its history, every country has in their history, America no exception, but to say that the British were evil tyrants in the Americas? Just not true."
When did i say that British were tyrants? What I insinuated precisely was that the regime was tyrannical and oppressive towards the colonies.

Oh I'm not communicating like an adult am I? I believe I've been as civil and adult as I can with you. I don't believe you deserve to be treated as an adult.
When did you say the British were tyrants? Are you serious? You just said it there "the regime was tyrannical", which is exactly the same as say that the British were tyrants. Can you give me any evidence whatsoever, that the British were "tyrannical and oppressive towards the colonies". Are there any examples of them, mistreating Colonists and suppressing them with violence and taking away their rights? That's just part of what tyranny is really about.

Using Canada as an example, the Canadians did not see the British as oppressors and tyrants, the British offered people, anyone, Including Americans land in Canada, which there was plenty of, and all they asked in return was for taxes and for their co-operation and help in times of war, these Canadian settlers were known as "late loyalists". Now the Canadians were perfectly happy with being under British rule, it certainly was not oppressive and tyrannical, why would it be different with Central America?   

My "imagination" is not playing tricks on me mate, you can't say the British were tyrannical and oppressive without evidence, in large quantities, that they ruled in this way.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »

The British government wasn't worse then any government at the time. You are comparing 18th century systems with 21st century values, of course they are going to look bad.

You are saying that in no more then three generations all the British people in the colonies changed from Brits to full-blooded Americans with their own culture and values etc etc.
That's crazy. All they didn't want was pay taxes.

And with 'all', I mean the rich planters, who didn't care one way or the other about the peasantry.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »
Spoiler
Mr T,
"Oh I'm not communicating like an adult am I? I believe I've been as civil and adult as I can with you. I don't believe you deserve to be treated as an adult."
quite typical for people like you-self-centered, mentally unstable, lacking respect, and for some reason the one that thinks that his opinion is the only one that counts.   
"When did you say the British were tyrants? Are you serious? You just said it there "the regime was tyrannical", which is exactly the same as say that the British were tyrants."
No its not... too bad you can't comprehend it.
Can you give me any evidence whatsoever, that the British were "tyrannical and oppressive towards the colonies. Are there any examples of them, mistreating Colonists and suppressing them with violence and taking away their rights? ".
Townshend Acts, the Stamp Act, and the Tea Act, Boston Massacre.
"the British offered people, anyone, Including Americans land in Canada"
Land in Canada? No thanks...
Now the Canadians were perfectly happy with being under British rule, it certainly was not oppressive and tyrannical, why would it be different with Central America?
You realize the population discrepancy between the Colonies and Canada... Canada is not a very hospitable place to live. Canadians had their reasons to side with British, Colonies had their reasons to side against them.
[close]

Do not insult others; argue points, not people.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:33:06 pm by McEwanMaster »

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
In a matter of fact I think you are the one who has some kinda stinky attitude about the whole thing. I noticed it among europeans that whenever you start mentioning America and how much you cherish our history, values and freedoms all of a sudden they become all butthurt and begin spazzing all over the thread with "MURICA and other nonsense.
Cherish your history?!
hahaha you make me laugh.
So you're a Historian about America? Here are some crayons!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:43 pm »
Townshend Acts, the Stamp Act, and the Tea Act, Boston Massacre.

You are mad because they demanded more money?

The boston massacre was not a massacre, it was a shooting with a few casualties. The British started shooting after the Americans surrounded them and shouted, directly, in their face 'SHOOT ME'. Multiple soldiers were punished, actually, by getting a burnmark on their hand. That hurts, you know. And while it was of course a very sad thing on itself, it's not like the Americans behaved very nicely against British and loyalists.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:30:20 pm by Duuring »

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:17 pm »
Ililsa,
"These are Americans who are about as Irish as I am German"
I dare you to come to St.Patrick's Day parade and make this statement to American Irishmen... make sure you purchase good health insurance before attempting it.

Being violent and drunk on the 17th of March doesn't make them Irish, despite what the Guinness Company will say.

I'm on good terms with a couple of Gaelic speaking, Donegal Irishmen, and whilst being as genial chaps as you'd ever hope to meet, I get the feeling they would be about as pleased about an American telling them he's Irish as they would be if I jigged past doing a squeaky irish accent.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
  • Side: Union
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »
Must I remind everyone of the topic of this thread? It is about armies and which one is your favorite, not historical politics. And please, keep conversation civil; argue points, not people. This is the only time I will say this, and anyone committing these acts will be warned.

Kielbasa!