Author Topic: Great Armies, which was your favorite?  (Read 42559 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Great Armies, which was your favorite?
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2013, 08:26:48 pm »
Unless you consider the countless weapons and ammodeleveries, besides many millions of dollars(in todays money) in loan.

And because we supplied these goods, Britian decleared war on us, effectivly drawing away many soldiers. We joined the anti-British coalition in 1780, which is about the time the Rebs started winning. While we did relativly little of the fighting, our share is certainly not insignificat.

It might be hard to see, but you must see the Revolution as a part of the bigger scheme. If we, and even more importanty, the Spanish and France had left the Rebs helpless, there's no way they would have won.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2013, 08:27:22 pm »
Yaro, you are so nationalistic that it makes me audibly laugh when I read your posts. Where the fuck do you learn this shit? Do you seriously think George Washington was one of the greatest and most influencial leaders to ever live? Holy shit you are beyond delusional. I'm American by the way, so fuck offwith your "durr u just hate murrica and muh freedums". You make Americans look bad.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:57 pm »
unbreakable resolve to be free of tyranny.

Tyranny? The colonists didn't want to pay taxes to a King 3000 miles away, how were the British tyrants? Its not like they treated Americans poorly or horribly.

Taxation without representation is a tyranny... how would u like me to tax u for no freaking reason? or how would u like me to quarter my soldiers in your room without providing any reason for doing it?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Quatering soldiers in peoples houses was very normal business, and the rebs did it just as much.

Taxation without represenation is unfair, but the American system was barely any fairer.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 08:41:34 pm »
tyr·an·ny  (tr-n)
n. pl. tyr·an·nies
1. A government in which a single ruler is vested with absolute power.
2. The office, authority, or jurisdiction of an absolute ruler.
The original meaning of Tyrant was a single ruler. This didn't mean he was a bad repressing ruler.
The word got a bad meaning since a Greek leader (forgot his name) actually started to surpress his people and since then Tyrant and tyranny had a bad meaning.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2013, 08:43:46 pm »
Yaro, I don't think you even know what Tyranny is, I call taxation without representation poor communication.

And Nipple is right, you do make Americans look bad to be honest.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
unbreakable resolve to be free of tyranny.

Tyranny? The colonists didn't want to pay taxes to a King 3000 miles away, how were the British tyrants? Its not like they treated Americans poorly or horribly.

Taxation without representation.

Straight from 'The Patriot'

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2013, 08:48:09 pm »
Duuring,
Whatever your country did for America(if that was really ya'lls agenda?) is admirable and Americans are thankful for your nation's help. However, don't try to convince me that Dutch, Spanish or French somehow won the war and not American patriots. Even with all your "help", it was a simple American soldier standing in line firing his musket who won the war, and if it wasn't for that soldier, none of your dollars and supplies would have mattered much, cause that is not what is turning the tides of conflict.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »
That's like saying Poland won WW2 because they were attacked first.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
Duuring,
Whatever your country did for America(if that was really ya'lls agenda?) is admirable and Americans are thankful for your nation's help. However, don't try to convince me that Dutch, Spanish or French somehow won the war and not American patriots. Even with all your "help", it was a simple American soldier standing in line firing his musket who won the war, and if it wasn't for that soldier, none of your dollars and supplies would have mattered much, cause that is not what is turning the tides of conflict.

Granted, though it's the other way around as well, without the money, the muskets wouldn't have fired.

Duuring,
Whatever your country did for America(if that was really ya'lls agenda?)

Nope, to be honest, it wasn't for America, it was to make Britain less powerful, and to make as many British colonies independent/ fomr another nation.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:13 pm »
OMFG do you read?
He said thanks to Spain, The Netherlands and France the AMERICANS won. and the British were at the time also in 4 other conflicts and they other were more benefitial for them

and the French etc supplied America and if it wasn't for that they would've lost.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »
Duuring,

You talk as if American soldiers and so called "Patriots" were heroes and faultless warriors of Liberty, which I giggle at.
Many of those veterans from the Revolutionary war would go on to fight in the war of 1812, where it was the Americans who invaded Canada, and they looted and pillaged Yorktown, and after that treated the people in Canada like the enemy and committed many acts of violence and barbarism that have been committed by nations across the centuries. American soldiers in the late 18th and early 19th centuries were no different than those opposing them.

Your simple soldier standing in line firing his musket would probably rather getting drunk and shagged rather than fighting, it was the truth in all countries.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:56 pm »
 Duuring,
Quartering soldiers was not a normal business if those soldiers were not from your country, Americans quartering American soldiers during time of war is not the same as British soldiers barging into my house based on some illegal act that some king decided to pass through his puppet parliament...
I don't understand what you mean by saying that American system was somehow similar to taxation w/o representation... You basically insinuating that American Constitution was somehow unfair or what?

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »
Duuring,
Quartering soldiers was not a normal business if those soldiers were not from your country, Americans quartering American soldiers during time of war is not the same as British soldiers barging into my house based on some illegal act that some king decided to pass through his puppet parliament...

The British being in the Americas was an illegal act!? Are you for real!?
Do you think America was a country already and being occupied by the British!? No. The Americas WERE owned by Britain, and therefore having soldiers there was not some evil act of suppression. Americans were British citizens until the revolutionary war, you sir, are a marvel.

Offline Yaro

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:59 pm »
Nipplestockings,
Since when American tells another American what to do? Get off your pseudo-intellectual stance, you actually haven't said anything intelligent to contribute to this conversation. "You making Americans look bad"----how? explain how am I making Americans look bad?