Author Topic: Middle-Earth Vs. Elder Scrolls  (Read 13171 times)

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
  • Side: Neutral
Middle-Earth Vs. Elder Scrolls
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:01:08 pm »
Started as a debate in maths with my friend ArkticSparc, he made the claim that Elder Scrolls had the biggest lore in anything made. I made the obvious argument that middle earth in fact had a much larger lore than elder scrolls and it turned out to be a good debate so I have put it here for you guys to discuss it.

Just remember this is a topical debate!

I'm vouching for Middle-Earth for the following reasons:

Lore:
JRR Tolkien devoted his life to middle-earth, he wrote a number of books including-
The Lord of the Rings:
-The Fellowship of the Ring
-The Two Towers
-The Return of the King
The Hobbit
The Similarion
Unfinished Tales
The Palantir
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Farmer Gills of Ham
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle
The monsters and the critics and other essays
Bilbo's Last Song
And more...

What surprises some people is middle-earth is not the only part of the world Tolkien made, The world is called Arda and is divided generally into two major lands with a sundering sea in between; the western realm is called Valinor, and the eastern realm is called Middle-earth, where The Lord of the Rings takes place in.

There are numerous races and lifestyles shown from different geographical locations and climates, Tolkien made whole languages and religions.

Spoiler

[close]
Battle:
Well a battle between the two would be a hell of a fight but i think arda would win because of its superior powers:

Spoiler
Mithrandir would certainly be a handicap:

As well as the elite riders of rohan:

The vast numbers of Orcs and Goblins:

The specially bred Urak-Hai:

The balrog:

Sauron:

The ents:

Smaug:

The unkillable Nazgul:

Heroes from the similarion:

[close]
And pretty much anyone else you can think of...

AGAINST:[/b]
Spoiler
[close]
[/spoiler]

And I suppose that settles my argument, i'm hoping for a detailed response and remember this is a debate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:05:13 pm by [126th] Col.Skipper »
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
Re: Middle-Earth Vs. Elder Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »
1. Please get spoiler
2. I think you can't compare the 2 because one is based of books and the other one is a video game.

Being based on a book gives you alot of lore.
And get your lore right such as the god Morgoth and the elf Valar that defeated him.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:44:55 pm »
To say either of those has the most expanded lore would be innaccurate, I'd say Star Wars has more lore built around it then either of those too, and if not, it would be really damn close and probably more then one of them.

Also, dear god get spoilers.

Offline GoblinOverlord

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GoblinOverlord
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:11 pm »
Why don't you have so many arguments of TES, eh? There is A LOT to tell of it.   >:(

P.S. Spoilers.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
K, ill add the spoilers, and I was hoping someone else would give the argument for TES
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:04:35 pm »
I will. But I'm still wondering if they're worth comparing.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »
Like I said, it started as a small debate I had with my friend so there is nothing wrong with comparing them just so long as it stays freindly

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »
I'll bring up arguments tomorrow.

I need some digging and it is quite late.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »
I'll bring up arguments tomorrow.

I need some digging and it is quite late.

K thanks, I look forward to it  ;)

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:07:57 am »
Norman's logical breakdown

Fan wikis are often the best ways to determine the size of the established lore.

Lord of The Rings Wiki (Tolkien): 4416 articles

The Elder Scrolls Wiki (The Elder Scrolls): 18743 articles

Additionally I decided to put Star Wars down.

Wookiepedia (Star Wars): 102042

This is the best way to determine the size of the established lore, which would rank Star Wars in the lead by some seventy-thousand articles, the elder scrolls in second, and put Tolkien in last.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:12 am »
Norman's logical breakdown

Fan wikis are often the best ways to determine the size of the established lore.

Lord of The Rings Wiki (Tolkien): 4416 articles

The Elder Scrolls Wiki (The Elder Scrolls): 18743 articles

Additionally I decided to put Star Wars down.

Wookiepedia (Star Wars): 102042

This is the best way to determine the size of the established lore, which would rank Star Wars in the lead by some seventy-thousand articles, the elder scrolls in second, and put Tolkien in last.

Good point

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:47:40 am »
Isn't 40k the largest? There is countless of books about it.

edit:
Well not in terms of wiki pages at least. But I am fairly sure that the total number of words written for either warhammer or 40,000 is higher than the others. Though in 40k there are several inconsistencies between writers or even between a writer's own books.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:55:42 am by MaHuD »
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Rackio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rackio
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »
for me personally i wouldn't class Elder Scrolls anywhere close to that of star wars or the world of Tolkein.

As put forward Tolkein devoted his life's works to it and his son after him.

For star wars there are many eras unmentioned in the films, only in the books and Lucas Arts games can you get even a small look into it.

for the part of Eldar Scrolls, it has its merits it has some books and several games but for me the Lore within it cant match that of the other two.

May the Force be with you
I'll always be sympathetic to your plight, Rackio. Probably not enough to act, but enough to care.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »
Isn't 40k the largest? There is countless of books about it.

edit:
Well not in terms of wiki pages at least. But I am fairly sure that the total number of words written for either warhammer or 40,000 is higher than the others. Though in 40k there are several inconsistencies between writers or even between a writer's own books.

I'm pretty sure the tales set in Arda have more words than 40k, like mentioned twice, 2 generations of family spent their lives writing about it, also there are more books than in 40k.

But good point nonetheless

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:21 pm »
Started as a debate in maths with my friend ArkticSparc, he made the claim that Elder Scrolls had the biggest lore in anything made. I made the obvious argument that middle earth in fact had a much larger lore than elder scrolls and it turned out to be a good debate so I have put it here for you guys to discuss it.

Just remember this is a topical debate!

I'm vouching for Middle-Earth for the following reasons:

Lore:
JRR Tolkien devoted his life to middle-earth, he wrote a number of books including-
The Lord of the Rings:
-The Fellowship of the Ring
-The Two Towers
-The Return of the King
The Hobbit
The Similarion
Unfinished Tales
The Palantir
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Farmer Gills of Ham
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle
The monsters and the critics and other essays
Bilbo's Last Song
And more...

What surprises some people is middle-earth is not the only part of the world Tolkien made, The world is called Arda and is divided generally into two major lands with a sundering sea in between; the western realm is called Valinor, and the eastern realm is called Middle-earth, where The Lord of the Rings takes place in.

There are numerous races and lifestyles shown from different geographical locations and climates, Tolkien made whole languages and religions.

Spoiler

[close]
Battle:
Well a battle between the two would be a hell of a fight but i think arda would win because of its superior powers:

Spoiler
Mithrandir would certainly be a handicap:

As well as the elite riders of rohan:

The vast numbers of Orcs and Goblins:

The specially bred Urak-Hai:

The balrog:

Sauron:

The ents:

Smaug:

The unkillable Nazgul:

Heroes from the similarion:

[close]
And pretty much anyone else you can think of...

AGAINST:[/b]
Spoiler
[close]
[/spoiler]

And I suppose that settles my argument, i'm hoping for a detailed response and remember this is a debate.

The incorrect bb code, it hurts. Also you have to think about game limitations bud. The game can't handle bazzilions of AI fighting at once. Think of any Lord of the Rings game, not as epic as the movie. I think what you are saying is incredibly bias. For example "There are numerous races and lifestyles shown from different geographical locations and climates, Tolkien made whole languages and religions." Like the Elder scrolls doesn't? Wut? I understand Tolkien put his life's effort into making it, but that doesn't make Lotr better.
Pointy stick champion