Poll

What is your opinion on cannabis legalization?

Have it.
19 (45.2%)
Don't have it.
8 (19%)
Only for medical use.
9 (21.4%)
How much cannabis can I hide from my parents?
6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: The 2018 Federal Wide Legalization for the Recreational Use of Cannabis - Canada  (Read 20249 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
I mean that's just because it makes you feel good. It takes you're mind off what you're about to do.
Given how much rape occurs under the influence of alcohol there are very strong arguments to limiting its availability. Speaking of rape, GHB is a lower class of drug than cannabis in the UK. That's fucked.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
Cannabis causes terrorism.

It can LITERALLY be that easy guys
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Cannabis causes terrorism.

It can LITERALLY be that easy guys

Didn't say that. More likely it causes mental illness and a certain susceptibility to get into that kind of mindset. The list of terrorist acts by perpetrators who were also known cannabis users is quite long:
Spoiler
2017 Manchester bombings, 2017 attack on the British Parliament, 2015 Tunisian beach massacre, 2015 Tenerife beheading, 2008 Tucson massacre, 2013 murder of Lee Rigby, 2015 Charlie Hebdo attack, 2015 Bataclan attack, both murderers of Canadian soldiers in 2014, thwarted 2015 Thalys train attacker, *so far* one of the Aug 2017 Catalonia attackers
[close]

These are just the more high profile attacks and isn't an exhaustive list by any means. Doesn't apply in every case but in a lot of them you see familiar similarities-they're often losers with a history of petty crime and known to be drug takers, almost always cannabis. Is there a link between terrorist perpetrators and users of a drug we know can cause mental health delusions and aggressive/violent behaviour? Maybe.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
You can't be serious Steven. Cannabis causes terrorism? Really? I'll tell you what cannabis will cause the average person. A night of shitty movies on the couch and ordering a pizza. The worst that can happen is you might get a little paranoid about objects. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. I can 100% guarantee you that as long as you don't drive your car and you don't have some major cardiovascular illness, you're going to be fine. No serious illness will come to you and no death either. You might get a little paranoid about things around you but that's it.

Cannabis has fuck all to do with terrorism. More than 60% of the Canadian adult population use cannabis. Not nearly close to that are people involved in terrorism.  I would be surprised if cannabis use was even somewhat of interest to the police investigating the incidents, and i'd seriously question the integrity of those police officers if it was something they concluded the cases with. What causes terrorism is a passion for the belief in which your extremist views lie. Whether that's a political or religious terroristic ideology, it is not caused by any type of drug. It can kind of not really be linked to mental illness, but only if you're contacted by someone who is already turned and they turn you. I'd say most of that mental illness is caused by loss, or wanting to find something to believe in that is greater than yourself, or wanting to belong somewhere. Cannabis doesn't make you feel any of that. No drug does. It's a feeling that would either come naturally or due to loss of a loved one at a tender age or being excluded from your peers. This is what Homeland Security is actually quite afraid of but cannabis is not on their list of causes to such a thing. The things I mentioned before are.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
These are just the more high profile attacks and isn't an exhaustive list by any means. Doesn't apply in every case but in a lot of them you see familiar similarities-they're often losers with a history of petty crime and known to be drug takers, almost always cannabis. Is there a link between terrorist perpetrators and users of a drug we know can cause mental health delusions and aggressive/violent behaviour? Maybe.

My comment wasn't intended as serious.
You're putting a pretty hefty causation to a phenomemon that is actually easily explained. Terrorists in Western countries are usually poorly embedded socially, that kind of person is far more likely to be using drugs. You're reversing everything here.

What I mean:
Pretty shit social situation --> Drugs (and when exposed to extremist views, in the right circumstances --> Terrorism

What it seems like you're doing:

Drugs --> pretty shit social situation --> terrorism
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
+ nearly all terrorists take some kind of drugs as the need to grow a pair in order to do what they intend to do

Dont see where you going at or why you even mention it but it's correct, ye, obviously.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
In that regard, drugs aren't that different from alcohol. Some people use it to numb their senses and give them some temporary bliss from their usual shitty situation.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
In that regard, drugs aren't that different from alcohol. Some people use it to numb their senses and give them some temporary bliss from their usual shitty situation.

Alcohol is a drug. That probably accounts for 90% of cannabis users I know. And then through the black market they get hooked on other drugs. The issue known as the "gateway drug". Only a gateway because of the black market. Most people who use harder drugs like heroin or cocaine start on cannabis, and because of the drug being illegal and the black market existing, your friendly local dealer will ask if you want something stronger and that's how they make money. No dealer just does cannabis, they do anything ranging from cannabis and LSD to meth and cocaine. Eliminate the black market around cannabis and the whole black market will be cut back a shit ton. Vancouver, one of the largest black markets in the world in cannabis, which deals with the entire North American continent, when it gets shut down due to lack of profit with legalization, the whole continent's black market on drugs will decline. Demand will go up and hence so will prices.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
More than 60% of the Canadian adult population use cannabis.

Sounds legit.

You're putting a pretty hefty causation to a phenomemon that is actually easily explained. Terrorists in Western countries are usually poorly embedded socially, that kind of person is far more likely to be using drugs. You're reversing everything here.

What I mean:
Pretty shit social situation --> Drugs (and when exposed to extremist views, in the right circumstances --> Terrorism

Maybe, maybe not. There's evidence on both sides, see here for instance: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4539550/Is-marijuana-factor-jihadi-murders.html

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
Everyone smokes weed, Jesus at least 60% of high schoolers in the US probably smoke weed, you can't say there's any relation to causing someone to commit terrorist acts. 

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
"Evidence" -> Daily Mail  ???

Edit: also reading the actual argument it does nothing to show both sides of the argument, does nothing to show sources etc
As usual, you're talking absolute bollocks
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:23:35 pm by MrTiki »

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
More than 60% of the Canadian adult population use cannabis.

Sounds legit.

What I mean:

Maybe, maybe not. There's evidence on both sides, see here for instance: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4539550/Is-marijuana-factor-jihadi-murders.html

That article is a joke. I could show you thousands of similar articles that suggest that we all are a greater threat to society because we play pc games. I mean keep it serious

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile

Edit: also reading the actual argument it does nothing to show both sides of the argument, does nothing to show sources etc

That's a bit rich coming from you considering you occasionally link to The Canary (a kind of clickbait Pravda). I mean f*ck me this is front page news according to them: https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/09/18/independent-says-ids-thinks-bosses-killing-workers-not-far-wrong-images/

Anyway, are you seriously saying there's nothing to this? Really? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/lee-rigby-murderer-adebowale-is-borderline-schizophrenic-recommended-for-broadmoor-9015617.html

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile

That's a bit rich coming from you considering you occasionally link to The Canary (a kind of clickbait Pravda). I mean f*ck me this is front page news according to them: https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/09/18/independent-says-ids-thinks-bosses-killing-workers-not-far-wrong-images/

Anyway, are you seriously saying there's nothing to this? Really? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/lee-rigby-murderer-adebowale-is-borderline-schizophrenic-recommended-for-broadmoor-9015617.html

Lets keep the ad hominems aside. I dont see anything that could convince me which is however quite simple. Just link: 1) studies linking terrorism (=\ psychoses) to cannabis  or  2) proof of psychoses affecting the terrorists during their actions and of the causation of them by weed.

No need for any more articles about correlations, let's stick to the scientific method, once and for all.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
Correlation is what is used to identify trends in such large data sets-how do you think we first discovered the link between lung cancer and smoking? It's perfectly valid and is part of the scientific method.

As far as I know there have been no studies that suggest cannabis is linked to terrorism. The reverse is also true however, there have been no studies to disprove it either. I dunno if there's anyone out there with an interest in the subject and access to a pot (::)) of grant money but that may be something to investigate. When the correlation is that striking it deserves attention.