Poll

What is your opinion on cannabis legalization?

Have it.
19 (45.2%)
Don't have it.
8 (19%)
Only for medical use.
9 (21.4%)
How much cannabis can I hide from my parents?
6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: The 2018 Federal Wide Legalization for the Recreational Use of Cannabis - Canada  (Read 20251 times)

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
I've said all I need to. Clearly we (mostly) agree that drug use is a bad thing and the best policy is the one that reduces consumption, we just disagree about how to go about doing it. All I would say is that the evidence is on my side-those countries which have tough drugs laws *and* enforce them have significantly lower usage rates than those which have gone down the legalisation/decriminalisation path.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
"Many economists predict that the legalization of cocaine and heroin would reduce street prices by up to 60 percent, depending on if and how much they were taxed. According to an important study, price declines of that size would increase the number of occasional users of heroin by 54 percent and the number of occasional users of cocaine by 33 percent. The total quantity of heroin demanded would rise by an estimated 100 percent, and the quantity of cocaine demanded would rise by 50 percent." -my econ book
I mean existing dealers are still going to want the same fat profit margins and just get less risk as an added bonus. Either way, there's no limit to what tax you put on it. Considering that it's a massively unhealthy habit, I don't see why they wouldn't slap a massive tax on it, which also helps to pay for the damage that it already causes.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
I've said all I need to. Clearly we (mostly) agree that drug use is a bad thing and the best policy is the one that reduces consumption, we just disagree about how to go about doing it. All I would say is that the evidence is on my side-those countries which have tough drugs laws *and* enforce them have significantly lower usage rates than those which have gone down the legalisation/decriminalisation path.

The poll says the contrary.

No one is doubting that drug use is higher among countries that have legalized it. That's such an obvious fact. People are doubting whether or not having users of the drug is a bad thing. And doctors, lawyers, law enforcement professionals, scientists and historians pretty much unanimously agree that cannabis is a good thing, the positives of legalization of it would severely outweigh the negatives. That's fact.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
No one is doubting that drug use is higher among countries that have legalized it. That's such an obvious fact. People are doubting whether or not having users of the drug is a bad thing. And doctors, lawyers, law enforcement professionals, scientists and historians pretty much unanimously agree that cannabis is a good thing, the positives of legalization of it would severely outweigh the negatives. That's fact.

Sounds like you've been smoking something yourself.

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile

Sounds like you've been smoking something yourself.

If only there was some other prohibited drug that was illegal and now isn't that we can compare cannabis to. Oh yeah, there is. Alcohol. In case people have forgotten, alcohol was illegal in the US. It gave rise to famous organized crime leaders such as Al Capone. The exact same fears for legalizing alcohol (which is now officially the worlds most dangerous drug might I add) exist now for cannabis. Would you have been pro the alcohol prohibition Steven? It's seriously the exact same thing, just a different drug.

Again I haven't smoked in some years. I tried it, didn't like it so I stopped. But I have zero care if others want to do it. They should be allowed to use one of the oldest plants in history without fear of punishment. They should be allowed to sit down, get high and watch shitty movies all night long without fear of punishment. They should be allowed to do this in their own house.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
"One of the oldest plants in history"

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
You can't compare alcohol to cannabis. The former has been deeply ingrained in society for most of human history, whereas cannabis is comparatively new and not as widespread. When something becomes that embedded banning it doesn't work. The point about rushing to make cannabis legal is that once you do so it's very difficult to turn the clock back.

Prohibition also wasn't that strict, it remained perfectly legal to drink alcohol during that period.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
People are doubting whether or not having users of the drug is a bad thing. And doctors, lawyers, law enforcement professionals, scientists and historians pretty much unanimously agree that cannabis is a good thing, the positives of legalization of it would severely outweigh the negatives. That's fact.

Whoa, let's slow down for a moment. Scientists notoriously rarely unanimously agree on pretty much anything, nevermind a topic as controversial and often morally driven such as drug use. Hell, they can't even find common ground when debating climate change, which is of course a far more researched and objective topic of study.

I mean, it's pretty ludicrous to state that medical professionals and scientists would unanimously agree that the legalization of marijuana would be more or less a good thing given studies like this are knocking about.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:29:16 pm by Gordo »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
Oh you figured out how to format links oooo i'm jealous

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
Don't get too excited, it decides when it wants to work.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
Don't get too excited, it decides when it wants to work.
:(

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
People are doubting whether or not having users of the drug is a bad thing. And doctors, lawyers, law enforcement professionals, scientists and historians pretty much unanimously agree that cannabis is a good thing, the positives of legalization of it would severely outweigh the negatives. That's fact.

Whoa, let's slow down for a moment. Scientists notoriously rarely unanimously agree on pretty much anything, nevermind a topic as controversial and often morally driven such as drug use. Hell, they can't even find common ground when debating climate change, which is of course a far more researched and objective topic of study.

I mean, it's pretty ludicrous to state that medical professionals and scientists would unanimously agree that the legalization of marijuana would be more or less a good thing given studies like this are knocking about.

As in the Task Force set up by the Government of Canada which comprised of scientists, medical professionals, law enforcement officials and lawyers.

And no, cannabis is as old if not older than alcohol lmao. Both are mentioned in the bible (hemp is referred to as the "Holy Leaf" in Adam and Eve). Alexander the Great and many people of his time had cannabis steam baths, Herodotus recorded it. Cannabis was legal in the US well into the 1930's. It is very much ingrained into our culture. It has been used countless times by people in western, Arab and Asian cultures for thousands of years. In the Old Testament (the Jewish version of the bible) it is referred to as "kaneh bosm" which translates to cannabis, and Yahweh was very pro kaneh bosm). We have proof of that. That's not debatable.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
The old testemant isn't the Jewish version of the bible btw. The old testemant is in the Christian bible too

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
The old testemant isn't the Jewish version of the bible btw. The old testemant is in the Christian bible too

Yes but it's the Jewish part.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile

Yes but it's the Jewish part.
Well if you consider that to be 'the Jewish part' then you should consider the new testemant to be so as well since it's main focus, Jesus, was a Jew.