Author Topic: Why did Napoleon Wage War  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Why did Napoleon Wage War
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
What was Napoleon's motivations to wage war for nearly a decade and cause millions of deaths?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
Re: Why did Napoleon Wage War
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »
Um...technically he didn't wage war, most of the wars were declared against France, France was mostly the defender, but because Napoleon always attacked rather than defend it is often forgotten that Napoleon was the defender in the wars. The only war he declared really was against Russia in 1812 and Spain in 1808 (I think?), the wars of the Coalition, all of them were formed against Revolutionary France and then Napoleon, so I don't think its fair to suggest it is simply Napoleon alone who caused so many deaths, the leaders of the other nations who were in the coalition are just as responsible, if not more so.
Also what has to be remembered in most nations at the time (especially Britain) is that the army was little thought of or cared for in terms of public opinion, not much care was given towards the men who died, for example, do you see as many monuments to the deaths of soldiers for the Napoleonic period as you see with the World war monuments?
In terms of his motivations for constantly turning the tides in defensive wars, Napoleon mainly wanted to expand the Empire, but more importantly, the Revolutionary ideas, he wanted to spread the Revolutions teachings and also create a better Europe using the Napoleonic code, in fact the Europe of today isn't too far from what Napoleon wanted.
Napoleon invaded Spain mainly because of the turmoil it was in with its Bourbon monarchy, he invaded Russia because they did not keep to the agreement on 1807 that Russia would follow Napoleon's continental system, though the plan of invading Russia wasn't a blunder in general, Napoleon did make the mistake of going deeper into Russia before the winter, he could've stopped his advance to survive the winter, but he continued, probably could've prevented the death of his Grande Armee.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:47:52 pm by Mr T »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:44:43 pm »
It's not really fair to say that Napoleon's desire was just to make Europe better. Thousands of civilians were killed by French imperial troops.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »
It's not really fair to say that Napoleon's desire was just to make Europe better. Thousands of civilians were killed by French imperial troops.

True, but the same can be said about all armies back then, lije us Brits, we famously pillaged, looted, raped, and committed other atrosities in the Peninsula, Badajoz and Ciuad Rodrigo being the most horrible.

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »
It was a situation he mostly inherited from the first republic. The conflict wasn't against Napoleon, it was against the ideals of revolutionary France.
Even though the war was exceptionally bloody I hardly feel that you can blame him for defending these ideals.
Expecting him and his country to just curl up and let itself get kicked into line by the rest of Europe, discarding everything that had been achieved and sacrificed in the revolution is hardly reasonable, is it?
The rest of Europe simply wanted to protect the old order from what had happened to France, the war was a precautionary one, the execution of the French royalty being the final push into armed conflict.
(There are of course significantly more factors that caused this series of conflicts, but I'm too lazy for anything other than a silly oversimplification)
Like all wars there is no moral highground, both sides did terrible things to subdue the other.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
Mr T and Shorts are spot on, only thing i want to add is that he was raised in a Military life from the age of 10 so his whole person reflected that throughout his life where he never strayed from the army.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:03:28 pm »
Oh come on, Napoleon was NOT the cause of the deaths of 6 million peoples... IMPERIALISM is and Napoleon was not the only person who had imperialistic ideas, if anything Napoleon made the world better with his more moderate ideas of the Revolution.

Why do people not remember Napoleon for his lasting good he put on this earth. He banned serfdom in Poland, He banned Jewish Ghettos in all countries he occupied, he made a social code still in use today ( Napoleonic Code ).

If you want something to blame for the death of people blame everyone and not just Napoleon, he was not the one declaring war on Europe, Europe declare war on him. The great powers of Europe in coalition against France were the real bullies here, but when they got their ass kicked by that little kid they were bullying it became a different situation.

Do not believe winner's propaganda who try to shrink Napoleon into a short corsican tyrant.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:25:38 pm »
Im probably wrong, so dont rage at me if I am.  But probably revenge for his country, and all the other nations trying to control France, for personal greed and ambition, and power. 

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 06:42:29 pm »
As shorthorts said, the monarchies of europe did not like the french revolution. If mere peasants could revold and kill their king in france, what said the same couldnt be done to themselves?

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:11 pm »

True, but the same can be said about all armies back then, lije us Brits, we famously pillaged, looted, raped, and committed other atrosities in the Peninsula, Badajoz and Ciuad Rodrigo being the most horrible.
*cough* copenhagen *cough*

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 08:30:30 pm »
What was Napoleon's motivations to wage war for nearly a decade and cause millions of deaths?

Jesus, talk about a loaded question.

I'm going to be lazy and just copy & paste this from a post I made on Taleworlds, but I feel it's relevant here.

France didn't start a single war unprovoked during Napoleon's reign. He certainly held some responsibility for the breakdown of the Treaty of Amiens, but no more than the British.

The wars of the Third, Fourth and Fifth Coalitions were all declared on France by her enemies. The Third and Fifth formed at the behest of the British and the Fourth started mainly as result of Napoleon's creation of the Confederation of the Rhine, which the Prussians regarded as a threat to their power in central Europe. The people within the Confederation were all for it, though, at least until things started to go badly for the French. The fact that Napoleon had attempted to give Hanover to the British was also a sore point for the Prussians.

Entire books have been written about the causes of the French invasion of Spain, but suffice it to say that Spain had been a very poor ally and had long been planning to turn on the French.

Napoleon's 1812 invasion of Russia was inevitable as Russia had been planning since 1810 to turn on France and and launch an invasion of Poland. The Russians were very much afraid of a Polish state which they exerted no control over and wanted the Duchy of Warsaw out of the picture. Napoleon's forcing of Russia to adhere to the continental system certainly provoked them further, but I doubt it had as much an effect as some historians would suggest; Russian had no great need of trade with Britain and the two had never been close allies (the greatest extent of the collaboration between Alexander and the British was when they had Paul assassinated).

Napoleon found himself in a situation where he had no choice but to invade Russia or fight a defensive war in Poland. Looking back, the latter may have been the better idea, but Napoleon was never one to sit on his ass and wait for the enemy.

All of the participants of the War of the Sixth Coalition declared war on France, save (obviously) for Russia.

The war of the Seventh Coalition (as in the Waterloo campaign) was declared against Napoleon, who had attempted to sue for peace when he returned to power.

I'm no great supporter of Napoleon, nor am I attempting to absolve him of any responsibility for the wars he fought, but I believe the suggestion that he was a warmonger to be largely baseless.

Im probably wrong, so dont rage at me if I am.  But probably revenge for his country, and all the other nations trying to control France, for personal greed and ambition, and power. 

See above. Also, Napoleon wasn't exactly what I'd call a greedy man, or even a particularly ambitious one.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in actually learning about the man and not simply spreading old falsehoods (of which there are many, created by both his supporters and detractors), I recommend you read a couple of good biographies on him. I'd say the best, most accurate and unbiased ones are by J.C. Herold (not exactly a fan of Napoleon's) and Vincent Cronin (something of an admirer of Napoleon's, but still accurate and unbiased).  Jacques Bainville's also comes highly recommended, but I've never been able to find it in English and my French isn't good enough to be able to fully appreciate it.

Offline Justo

• Volunteer
  • 3e Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:07 pm »

Back then? Even today. Bombs are indiscriminate.

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:12 pm »

Back then? Even today. Bombs are indiscriminate.
yeah but it was back then all army`s killed civilians for nothing  :P

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »
That's bullshit and you know it. People weren't any different back then than they are now. There were (are still are) a few loose screws that thought it was totally cool to kill people, but it in no way represents soldiers in general.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 09:59:14 pm »
They were still able to, and did, kill innocent civilians. Just like in any war.