Author Topic: US Politics thread  (Read 62741 times)

Offline cheeseypants

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st_Col_Cheeseypants
  • Side: Union
Re: US Politics thread
« Reply #390 on: January 03, 2017, 06:28:47 pm »
Tl;dr lefties still salty about the Don's stunning upset victory
Leader of the 71st

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 03, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »
ITT: lefties exerting themselves to find something to criticize Trump for on every single move he makes think they know shit about the role of SecDef and that Trump's choice is unprecedented/rare/etc., apparently dont actually know fuck all as 15 of the last 21 SecDefs (stretching back 64 years of appointments by both parties) have been ex-military.
Why am I still here

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #392 on: January 03, 2017, 06:56:28 pm »
ITT: lefties exerting themselves to find something to criticize Trump for on every single move he makes think they know shit about the role of SecDef and that Trump's choice is unprecedented/rare/etc., apparently dont actually know fuck all as 15 of the last 21 SecDefs (stretching back 64 years of appointments by both parties) have been ex-military.

Who says I am a leftie?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 03, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
There's nothing wrong with someone having served in general. There's something wrong with appointing someone to a political position based solely on his militairy record.

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #394 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:57 am »
There's nothing wrong with someone having served in general. There's something wrong with appointing someone to a political position based solely on his militairy record.

WRONG

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #395 on: January 05, 2017, 09:58:37 am »

I mean. You maintain that a military experience is an irrelevant thing to have for a secretary of defense. I disagree. I personally would like my secretary of defense to have an immense understanding of our military, an understanding that could only be gained through immersion. I want someone who knows all too well what can and should be accomplished with the best fighting force in the world. Besides that, the "politics" you guys are talking about is not as complicated of a thing that you would need to immerse yourself in it for your whole life to understand. I'm sure you would like to believe that it is, but if Trump has not convinced you that you are wrong yet, nothing will (Looking forward to your 2017 political forecast btw, as your 2016 one was so on point). That is why so many Secretaries of Defense are ex-mil, as the politics involved with it are more simple than any career politician or PolS student criticizing Trump would care to admit. Politics is really only the art of strategically choosing whose toes to step on. That is basically it. If he has managed to become a General, I would reckon he is at least fairly knowledgeable on who's toes NOT to step on internationally and who's toes he can step on for the sake of national security.

So I will respectfully disagree that a military career is "irrelevant" when considering who to appoint as a secretary of defense. As will I say that you are really overestimating the import of a career in politics for certain political offices.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:01:54 am by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #396 on: January 05, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »
Just so you know... Just because America has the strongest military in the world, doesn't mean it is of the best quality.

Being secretary of anything, means you'll be leading the entire department in its daily 'routine'. It doesn't literally involve being busy with the department's specialty all the time. Certainly, knowledge about what it does is certainly required, but you don't have to be as immersed as you claim you should be. Especially with the DoD. In military matters, that's what the generals are for. THEY decide what actually is done in the military, the SecDef is merely the political side of it and provides the frame the military can work within. To determine those, there is a legion of advisors. The SecDef just needs to be able to 'fix it' on the political side of it.

I agree that position like VA, Education and Public housing and Infrastructure are positions where extended knowledge is required, but that is also because there is a constant danger of career politicians/ government employees who DON'T change with the President/cabinet, that make decisions that only benefit themselves and not their sector. THEN you need a Secretary who can counter such assholes, because he has more/even knowledge liek them. That argument, however, doesn't really fly with DoD.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:36:10 pm by Riddlez »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 05, 2017, 01:45:29 pm »
You cannot compare a department like Education or Health with one like Defence.
If he has managed to become a General, I would reckon he is at least fairly knowledgeable on who's toes NOT to step on internationally and who's toes he can step on for the sake of national security

International affairs is hardly the concern of the Secretary of Defence.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #398 on: January 05, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
Damn, some of Trump's old tweets are even more bizarre than I'd thought. This one's my personal favourite:

Offline Grantrithor

• Second Lieutenant
  • <><><><>
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 06, 2017, 03:56:47 am »
Damn, some of Trump's old tweets are even more bizarre than I'd thought. This one's my personal favourite:

wish 50 cent would tweet like he did in the old days

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 06, 2017, 05:58:26 am »
The United States Secretary doesn't even have any real individual power it's just another advisior to the president, christ.
Sure it would probably been better to choose someone who have more experience with foregin politics/policies but I wouldn't say he's as bad as appointing Ben Carson as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:02:08 am by Furrnox »

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #401 on: January 06, 2017, 06:12:21 am »
The United States Secretary doesn't even have any real individual power it's just another advisior to the president, christ.
Sure it would probably been better to choose someone who have more experience with foregin politics/policies but I wouldn't say he's as bad as appointing Ben Carson as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
but but ben carson grew up in a house
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »

Secretaries are the most senior executive function in their given department. They design, enforce and are respondsible for its policies. Considering them 'just an advisor' is quite the understatement.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #403 on: January 06, 2017, 09:48:21 pm »
And another terrorist attack....
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #404 on: January 06, 2017, 11:34:11 pm »
And another terrorist attack....
Don't think it's terrorist. Just an Alaskan who was honorably discharged from NG with psych issues.  Probably persuaded by those Alaskan aliens