Author Topic: North American NW News!  (Read 144169 times)

Offline Botvinnik

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: North American NW News!
« Reply #1275 on: November 09, 2016, 06:30:55 am »
Maybe one day the High skilled will teach me and pj how to change our ways

Like I told you over steam, holding to mess up someones chambering timing is perfectly acceptable. If you're holding just to see who has more patience, then it's not about skill, it's about patience.

But I've never seen you hold that long. I just experienced it against PJ when he used it as a fall back plan.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that having good patience is not a skill?

attribute - "a quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something."

skill - "the ability to do something well; expertise."

Patience doesn't require doing well, or expertise, it's a characteristic relative to someones personality and their environment. Therefore, while good patience is a tool, it's not a skill. You don't need to be good with or knowledgeable about the game mechanics to be patient.

I agree that having patience is a characteristic of someone's personality and will be affected by their environment, but I have to disagree with saying that being patient is not related to doing well, which maintaining composure certainly is. When you're playing and are under immense pressure from somebody because they're in your face, feinting, etc., it pays to be able to maintain composure so that you don't do something reckless and let your guard down, which is what they're looking for. It's not a mechanic in the game itself like chambering, feinting, and blocking are, but it does affect how you have to play against other people, and this is similar to having the skill to adapt to someone's playstyle. What do you think?

Quote from: AP0CALYPS3
Where the fuck did you come from?

RIP 7thRFG. Died too soon.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #1276 on: November 09, 2016, 07:16:04 am »

I really don't understand you. You just randomly pop in and out of existence.

Offline Tammo

• Major
  • I eat ass daily
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bob Ross
« Reply #1277 on: November 09, 2016, 08:16:49 am »

Had only one duel with this guy, but it was the most intense and hard fought fuel I have ever had.

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #1278 on: November 09, 2016, 08:40:21 am »

Like I told you over steam, holding to mess up someones chambering timing is perfectly acceptable. If you're holding just to see who has more patience, then it's not about skill, it's about patience.

But I've never seen you hold that long. I just experienced it against PJ when he used it as a fall back plan.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that having good patience is not a skill?

attribute - "a quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something."

Patience doesn't require doing well, or expertise, it's a characteristic relative to someones personality and their environment. Therefore, while good patience is a tool, it's not a skill. You don't need to be good with or knowledgeable about the game mechanics to be patient.

I agree that having patience is a characteristic of someone's personality and will be affected by their environment, but I have to disagree with saying that being patient is not related to doing well, which maintaining composure certainly is. When you're playing and are under immense pressure from somebody because they're in your face, feinting, etc., it pays to be able to maintain composure so that you don't do something reckless and let your guard down, which is what they're looking for. It's not a mechanic in the game itself like chambering, feinting, and blocking are, but it does affect how you have to play against other people, and this is similar to having the skill to adapt to someone's playstyle. What do you think?

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent" < That. That right there is what you just did.

"but I have to disagree with saying that being patient is not related to doing well"

No, actually, you don't have to disagree with something I didn't say. I didn't say patience and composure are unrelated to doing well, I said patience isn't a skill. Skill is your degree of mastery of the game mechanics. You can be a patient person and not even know what chambering is. Yes, patience (and obviously composure) affects duels, no one said it doesn't, it just doesn't require skill to be patient, it requires the willingness/natural fortitude to be so.

Ability to adapt to people's play styles is more just intuition from experience, which I don't really see the parallel between that and patience.

Offline Botvinnik

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:08 pm »

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent" < That. That right there is what you just did.

"but I have to disagree with saying that being patient is not related to doing well"

No, actually, you don't have to disagree with something I didn't say. I didn't say patience and composure are unrelated to doing well, I said patience isn't a skill. Skill is your degree of mastery of the game mechanics. You can be a patient person and not even know what chambering is. Yes, patience (and obviously composure) affects duels, no one said it doesn't, it just doesn't require skill to be patient, it requires the willingness/natural fortitude to be so.

Ability to adapt to people's play styles is more just intuition from experience, which I don't really see the parallel between that and patience.

I don't think you really understood what I was saying since you thought it was a strawman. I'm saying that having patience is used to maintain composure (since patience isn't really used for anything else, at least as far as I can tell), which is a doing that you can either do well or not, which is a skill under the definition you provided. I don't know why you wouldn't consider adaptation a skill, too. Surely that's something else that you can do better or worse than other people. Not everyone plays the game intuitively and there's often a lot of thought that goes into observing and adapting to a playstyle. Professional StarCraft players, for example, even have coaches that help them go over upcoming opponent's matches so that they can better adapt to their playstyle and prepare builds; how could this not be a skill?

:'(

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1280 on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »
You're going to argue about if patience is a skill or trait oh lord. It functions as both. Patience fits both molds of the definition of a trait and a skill. Godfried would be correct in saying that patience in itself is a trait, but Bot is right by implying that applying the patient trait into the game mechanic is in itself a skill. There, stop being stupid now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:40:33 pm by GeneralSquirts »

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
  • https://twitter.com/6motm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 09, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
You're going to argue about if patience is a skill or trait oh lord. It functions as both. Patience fits both molds of the definition of a trait and a skill. Godfried would be correct in saying that patience in itself is a trait, but Bot is right by implying that applying the patient trait into the game mechanic is in itself a skill. There, stop being stupid now.
:)
Former leader of NA's - 5th, 75th 
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st
https://twitter.com/6motm
https://www.twitch.tv/motm

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #1282 on: November 09, 2016, 09:10:16 pm »
When your as good as me you don't need patience
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just in case I don’t see ya…
    • View Profile
  • Nick: We out
« Reply #1283 on: November 09, 2016, 09:23:16 pm »

Hi Alex!!

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 09, 2016, 09:34:08 pm »

who needs patience when you're an underdog

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 09, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »

us underdogs control the pace of the game, fuck patience! kappa
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #1286 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:33 pm »
Spoiler

I don't think you really understood what I was saying since you thought it was a strawman. I'm saying that having patience is used to maintain composure (since patience isn't really used for anything else, at least as far as I can tell), which is a doing that you can either do well or not, which is a skill under the definition you provided. I don't know why you wouldn't consider adaptation a skill, too. Surely that's something else that you can do better or worse than other people. Not everyone plays the game intuitively and there's often a lot of thought that goes into observing and adapting to a playstyle. Professional StarCraft players, for example, even have coaches that help them go over upcoming opponent's matches so that they can better adapt to their playstyle and prepare builds; how could this not be a skill?

:'(
[close]

Well if I'm dueling someone and they're tanking every round, it won't affect my willingness to duel them for extended periods of time (my patience). But it may affect how well I do in the rounds, generally speaking, if I allow their tanking to become my primary focus instead of the other things that I should be worrying about in a duel, like watching for their baits etc. (my composure).

Offline BillTheButcher

• First Lieutenant
  • King Of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 10, 2016, 12:37:01 am »

Lol talk about patience...you are the most irritating person ive ever dueled all you do is stall...s key and block spam

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 10, 2016, 02:04:19 am »

Lol talk about patience...you are the most irritating person ive ever dueled all you do is stall...s key and block spam
You would have lost if you were not a dickhead. Don't talk to me like you are the shit. I have done more then you ever will and can start playing out of the blue and be better than you. You are a joke.
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st

Offline Vortecks

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt_LtCol_Vortex
« Reply #1289 on: November 10, 2016, 02:38:22 am »
When everyone s keys is anyone really s keying?
Like my daddy always said, you always gotta get the nut.