Author Topic: Steam got hacked  (Read 3580 times)

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Steam got hacked
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »
My steam account got taken over around 5 years ago back when I was in the 84e. Speak to steam support and you should have a reply in a couple of days.

They can't willingly say no to helping you reclaim your account its obvious you were hacked so they will send your previous email instructions on logging in and resetting your password.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

AeroNinja

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 06:36:02 pm »
Ah well. That is nice to hear. I hope they stick to that.

How long did you have to wait before you got it back? Also how do you protect yourself against these pricks, I never told someone my inlog informations.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »

How long did you have to wait before you got it back? Also how do you protect yourself against these pricks, I never told someone my inlog informations.

The onoly thing you can do is what Steam offers you.

I tend to meticulously employ my method of being paranoid when it comes to online services in which I have invested money. Steam obviously falls within that category.
Having ridiculously long passwords with lots of special characters sounds nerdy and useless, but at least now you have first hand experience why it is not a luxury. Connect your phone to your account so that confirmation codes get sent by text and you are not fully reliant on E-mail. Also ridiculously secure your email account's password and have phone verification on that one, too (Gmail offers this, and so does Live, I think).
Have your virus scanners and anti-malware software employed and keep them carefully up to date. It seems childish, but it's a common reason people's PCs get infected.

Never tell anyone your passwords. Not one person.
The best thing to do to avoid getting infected is not doing dodgy stuff on your computer and performing regular virus scans.

Note on Steam Support: I have had no bad encounters with Steam Support, but they are notoriously slow to respond AND help fixing problems. So it's really a lottery. At least they acknowledged that their support is shit and vowed to work on it, which apparently has shown off. But there still is a chance you draw the short straw.

tl;dr when it comes to computer and account security, one rule can be taught to make yourself less vulnerable to hacks: do not be lazy.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Rival

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:00 pm »

Use different passwords for different things, literally fuck the password up with all kinds of symbols to make it that much harder to get into. Different passwords means its separated from other accounts so there is less of a chance to get hacked into. Try 2 step verification on your phone.
Working on headers in NW is like working on formula 1 2016 engines for 2017.

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 04:54:19 am »
damn that sucks man

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 04:56:19 pm »
posted to many fse posts so you got hacked

AeroNinja

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
I found my profile fucking Russians

If I can only contact some steam guy with this information but it takes ages before they send something back.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023910054

AeroNinja

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:09 am »
A friend of mine talked to Hoax and said he wanted my profile for mnb and aoe. Poor beggar doesnt have any money. Anyway if you can report that account for phishing and hijacking i would be really grateful. Ill lock the thread here.

AeroNinja

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 09:21:17 pm »
Steam still didn't respond ffs.

If I do make a new Steam account with buying Bannerlord when it releases, Will I be able to port all my games over to that account if I can't login in my existing one?

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 11:45:37 pm »
Steam still didn't respond ffs.

If I do make a new Steam account with buying Bannerlord when it releases, Will I be able to port all my games over to that account if I can't login in my existing one?
No

unless you make your new account a "Child" account under your old one. (Or something along those lines, I may be getting it mixed up with the old Playstation way of sharing libraries) Steam has the a Family share type feature that allows you to share your Library of games with friends and family I think. Though with the Russian holding your account it's unlikely he'll be willing to share "his" library with you.

AeroNinja

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 09:08:35 am »
Hmm. Then I will make a new account and buy the game with a disc. On my old account I can still play with steam starting offline yes?

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 07:03:43 pm »
Hmm. Then I will make a new account and buy the game with a disc. On my old account I can still play with steam starting offline yes?
If you can sign in with password yes. Though to be fair if you can sign into your account then its not much of a hack. ??? If you can still login just change pass after logging in. Same for email if that's hacked too.

AeroNinja

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 07:04:38 pm »
Yeah, with playing on my old steam account I meant offline not multiplayer. Sorry forgot to mention hehe.

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:57 pm »
Wow.. that sucks man. :(

AeroNinja

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »
Well, I got a new steam account.

add me if u want https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198335160520/

Please help me out by reporting af this account https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023910054

Typ that I am the rightful owner. It's just a few steps pls help. :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:02:38 pm by NiPhix »