Author Topic: Greywater Ruins (siege)  (Read 1001 times)

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Big Memer IV U
  • Side: Neutral
Greywater Ruins (siege)
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:14 am »
Preface: Please give suggestions on balancing the map! After you've watched the video you should have a good idea of how long it takes for the attackers to reach the defenders and how difficult their approaches are, constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated! I'll release it as soon as I'm satisfied it's playable in terms of balance.

The below video showcases a naval outpost, located near the flooded ruins of a previously inhabited town, Greywater (how ironic.) Just to be clear, this is a separate map, not directly related to the other siege map I've made a thread for on this board.

Overview:
The attackers have four main routes into the fortress.
#1. The rooftops of the city are probably the quickest method into the city. You can either take one of two siege ladders and assault the small redoubt located away from the main fortress, or you can take the rooftops and to a shallow that circumvents the dock (where the ship is docked, obviously.)
#2. This route is likely to get your cartridges wet, as you simply walk along a submerged path that is usually shallow, but not always. It's a simple and clear alternative to the first. And a bit slower.
#3. There are two functional boats docked near the attacker's spawn. What's the point of fighting in a flooded town if you don't have a nice boat to do it from?
#4. The staircase! The big staircase to the right of the attacker's spawn. While this method is surely the slowest, it also bypasses most defenses. If you get past the 1 bulwark the defenders have, you have the chance to fire down onto the most sensitive defenders have, plus if you bring an artilleryman you might be able to use one of the swivel guns on top of the cliff's gatehouse on the defenders themselves. This method also gives you direct access to a siege ladder which can bring you to the top level of the defender's fort. The addition of this potential weakspot presents defenders a tough decision. How many men do they cover their rear flank with, bearing in mind these men will have difficulty providing effective fire onto the other 3 entrances.

The defenders have access to two swivel guns on the main fort, two on the forward redoubt (where the two siege ladders move onto, there's a third cannon but it faces the defender's fort and could not realistically benefit them), the defenders have one swivel gun covering route #4 and one covering #2.

Download: I will release this for free use to everyone, just as soon as I can make sure the map is balanced for both sides. If I have to favor one side, I like to slightly favor the attackers (a game is more interesting if the attackers progress a little bit and win at the very end than if the attackers are stuck at one spot the whole game.)

The map is 288 KB currently. A significant file size for certain, but not unbearable.

Considering removing the building at 3:00 mins into the video for the sake of balance. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:25:32 am by JohannBrahms »

Offline Coldstreamer

• Second Lieutenant
  • Leader of 22nd, Cymbalist and Youtuber
    • View Profile
  • Nick: "The Gay Colonel"
  • Side: Union
Re: Greywater Ruins (siege)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:28:19 am »
Good Luck

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Big Memer IV U
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Greywater Ruins (siege)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 01:48:16 am »
Messaged a couple people to see if they'd test the map so I could figure out if it was unbalanced, no luck, so you'll just have to use it at your own peril- I would not recommend this with fewer than 20 players on each side as it's a pretty large map.

Terrain code:  0x00000001300000000008e633000041ef00005ae800003c55

.sco: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hp68sn90mjxgn9/scn_mp_custom_map_191.sco?dl=0