Author Topic: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod  (Read 102976 times)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod
« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
  They look excellent, number two is my favourite (although I would give the Trumpeter an orange sash as red is for the King!) Judging from the background, I assume Cromwell took them on a trip to the beach  ::)
  Good as well that the Covenanter's will be in grey. I would keep the designs you have already done though, If you are able to do a Highland unit for the Royalists they would fit in quite well with a little tweaking (shields, claymores, bows etc.)
  Here is a picture of some Covenanter's I have done in 28mm:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:15:07 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2015, 04:04:40 pm »
  They look excellent, number two is my favourite (although I would give the Trumpeter an orange sash as red is for the King!) Judging from the background, I assume Cromwell took them on a trip to the beech  ::)
  Good as well that the Covenanter's will be in grey. I would keep the designs you have already done though, If you are able to do a Highland unit for the Royalists they would fit in quite well with a little tweaking (shields, claymores, bows etc.)
  Here is a pciture of some Covenanters I have done in 28mm:

Haha  :D
I plan to make musketeers in grey, and some pikemen give grey armour or grey shirt with tartan sash
If I knew script for more units, then I would add Scottish royalists. But I am noob at scripting.
And your scottish pikemen look awesome!  ;D

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2015, 07:16:55 pm »
Final version of Cuirassier trumpeter

That green thing (I don't know what is it called) flutters like flag

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
  I think it is just known as a trumpet banner. The Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry still have them today (and have had them since they were formed in 1660):

I doubt there is much evidence on what they all looked like, they probably differed from regiment to regiment. Since the colour of Hasselrig's standard was green then it is most likely that the trumpet banner was green also, as you have done. The film Cromwell has some of the Royalist trumpet banners bearing the Royal Standard, although there are plenty of inaccuracies with the film.
  They are looking good, how many units are there left to go? I have a new book coming from Thursday onwards that should have plenty of colour plates of English Civil War Uniforms.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:06:31 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 11, 2015, 08:42:19 pm »
  I think it is just known as a trumpet banner. The Trumpeters of the Household Cavalry still have them today (and have had them since they were formed in 1660):

I doubt there is much evidence on what they all looked like, they probably differed from regiment to regiment. Since the colour of Hasselrig's standard was green then it is most likely that the trumpet banner was green also, as you have done. The film Cromwell has some of the Royalist trumpet banners bearing the Royal Standard, although there are plenty of inveteracies with the film.
  They are looking good, how many units are there left to go? I have a new book coming from Thursday onwards that should have plenty of colour plates of English Civil War Uniforms.

I can't make more trumpets with different trumpet banners. Game can have only one trumpet. It's hard to explain...
Units are done. Im just adding officers and musicians to scripts.
As I said, I can't have more units. Script is needed for that, and I don't much understand scripts.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
No that's alright, you have to work with the limitations of the game. I don't think the historical community will have a meltdown if the trumpet banners of the King's Lifeguard or Haselrigg's Cuirassiers are the wrong colour!
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2015, 11:05:52 am »
New Parliamentarian Senior Officer

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:38 am »
Looks good, although I notice he has a red sash around his waist, Parliamentarian ones should be orange (there is some dispute over that, some other armies wore different colour sashes and Cromwell is known to have worn a white sash at one point). The red stripe around his hat should probably be orange as well, the feather is fine as far as I am aware.
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2015, 11:53:46 am »
Looks good, although I notice he has a red sash around his waist, Parliamentarian ones should be orange (there is some dispute over that, some other armies wore different colour sashes and Cromwell is known to have worn a white sash at one point). The red stripe around his hat should probably be orange as well, the feather is fine as far as I am aware.

Ok. I thought it should be red because new model army wore red too

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2015, 12:09:47 pm »
That was more the tunics were red rather than the sashes. It does get confusing because I have seen a couple of paintings with Parliamentarians in red sashes (although I believe they are from the Victorian era). There is some record of the armies at Marston Moor (including the Scots Covenanter's) never even wearing sashes, but a white handkerchief. It is most likely though that the Earl of Essex's army wore Orange (I believe there were five main Parliamentarian field armies before the New Model was formed).
  Red was traditionally the colour of the King but some colonels would choose the colour of the sash (hence why many Royalist cavalrymen are depicted in blue sashes). 
  There is more discussion on the issue here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=393322
For consistency, aside from a few cavalry regiments, best to stick the Royalists with red sashes, Parliament Orange and then make a few different colours for the odd special regiment.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:11:44 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2015, 05:18:48 pm »
This little fellow arrived today:
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2015, 05:27:34 pm »
This little fellow arrived today:

Beautiful  :-*

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2015, 02:07:39 am »
But tabletop miniatures  have some limitations as well, theyhave to keep officers and musicans special.
But most of the time musicans were not soldiers, so they did not have any weapons(not even swords)
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2015, 10:43:02 am »
But tabletop miniatures  have some limitations as well, theyhave to keep officers and musicans special.
But most of the time musicans were not soldiers, so they did not have any weapons(not even swords)
Anyone planning to go on a battlefield would take some form of self-defense. Common sense would dictate that, I wouldn't want to go on a field without something to jab the opposing side with.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:10 am »
I plan to make musicians invincible  ;)