Author Topic: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!  (Read 315684 times)

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: RRA_10thRH_SoH_Grozni
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!
« Reply #1050 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »
For my mod, I was editting the plume texture. I made a new plume texture and editted one of them. Why does the background turn black and it looks horrible. How do I fix this?

The texture you were editing has a transparent background (alpha channels), in this case you've saved the texture without saving the transparency. Opening the .dds files in photoshop can also do this, it changes the transparent sections of the texture to black rather than keeping them in their original state.

But the background is still transparent.

It is more likely that you will get an answer if you put some more effort into your writing. Parrot gave you enough clues. What do you mean by "But the background is still transparent"? That it seems to be transparent in photoshop? Which program do you ues to edit textures, photoshop, gimp, something else?

Iirc in gimp you should export dds with some specific settings to make transparency work, but I didn't touch texturing in a long time. Try exporting the texture as DDS DXT5 with "weight by alpha" and "generate mip maps" ticked.

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 29, 2015, 02:06:09 pm »
Oh wait, you meant to say transparency works, but the texture itself is black? If that is the case it is probably just openBRF bug, try it ingame see if it is black in the game itself.

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 29, 2015, 02:38:46 pm »
How to move AI meshes while mapping?
This will probably help: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=61126.0
Odd... I still didn't find an anwser to my question.

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:11 pm »
How to move AI meshes while mapping?
This will probably help: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=61126.0
Odd... I still didn't find an anwser to my question.

Ok.. I never worked with AI meshes but I turned on scene editor just to see, it turned out to be easy.

Click Edit AI Mesh button to enter AI mesh editing mode, then select Face Mode button. After that you can right click the face to have a whole face selected and you can move it or rotate it around with usual key shortcuts, which is the answer to what I think your question was.

Offline GerRagnar

• Major
  • ↑ the amount of times I posted nudes last year ↑
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Crumpets_Mum
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1054 on: June 29, 2015, 10:03:12 pm »
How do I transfer specific parts of a unit onto another, a hat for example?

I want to edit some units so that they have another hat like the Guard Infantry of prussia.
The 6te Garde using a custom skin where the Guard Infantry of prussia got the russian grenadiers hat:

Spoiler
[close]

how do I transfer these files, if I want to change the helmets/hats of units?

Offline Caps

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 30, 2015, 11:24:48 am »

I want to edit some units so that they have another hat like the Guard Infantry of prussia.
The 6te Garde using a custom skin where the Guard Infantry of prussia got the russian grenadiers hat:

Spoiler
[close]

well  u just need to copy -> rename -> replace (open brf)

got pretty similar question.. how can i turn the cav shakos so that they fit on infantry then?

Offline GerRagnar

• Major
  • ↑ the amount of times I posted nudes last year ↑
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Crumpets_Mum
« Reply #1056 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:59 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

well  u just need to copy -> rename -> replace (open brf)

got pretty similar question.. how can i turn the cav shakos so that they fit on infantry then?

Ok I got it thanks! but how do I route the replaced skin to a new texture file since I want to change the colour of it only for the new unit?

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Caps

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »
u write the name in materials

import a material
and a texture
(like and select in both ur texture)

at least thats how i do it.... :S i missing something though cuz ingame the uniforms r missing shade
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:47:37 pm by Iskkon »

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1058 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:13 pm »
Hi guys. Just a small stupid problem  :). I cant rename factions in my mod. I am using Sourcecode of course. I renamed in module_factions,module strings and its still the same. In game Only that small written text under the original faction name renamed, e.x. it was first French Empire and it changed to Cavaliers. But that damn main name didnt changed  >:( . How to fix?

Offline Kaasovic

• Donator
  • * and Obelix
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Anonymous
« Reply #1059 on: July 03, 2015, 09:22:15 pm »
How do you change nation names? I change it in module_factions but it does not work.
Inisde the Napoleonic Wars folder -> languages folder -> en folder -> factions Excel file
Developer of NordInvasion. Hi mum.

Offline usnavy30

• Colonel
  • Former Freelance Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:24 pm »
That Excel file can be edited in Notepad by the way, with right clicking it, then selecting Edit.
How To Run A Mod Installer.exe
Hello.. I have a problem... It says I don't have Mount&Blade Warband: Napoleonic War and I have to buy it
Try joining a regular Napoleonic Wars server and then re-running the installer.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 04, 2015, 11:48:06 am »
That was simple. Thanks  ;)

Offline Intel Guardian

• Sergeant
  • MY HEAD IS A BRIEFCASE HELP ME AAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
  • Nick: James, or the Big Ol' Jimster
« Reply #1062 on: July 04, 2015, 02:42:58 pm »
Hey, I was wondering, is there any way to give the 33rd officer a different hat from the rankers?
In west Corsica born and raised, in the Tuileries Palace was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' annexin' all cool and all shooting some Spaniards outside of the Madrid, when a couple of Austrians who were up to no good started invading allies in my neighborhood. I got in one little war and Britain got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Saint Helena."
-The Fresh Emperor of France

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 04, 2015, 02:49:25 pm »
Hey, I was wondering, is there any way to give the 33rd officer a different hat from the rankers?

Yes

If you want to remove the hats from British_hats.brf and place them in the ummm british_uniforms.brf you will need to roto them likeeeeee   https://i.gyazo.com/6cbdf536f9f09d212b5ef4c15ca6693b.png

you'll have to keep checking but place it/move it to the where you want the hat to be, make sure it's named the same as the unit e.g 33rd_Ranker.1 not just 33rd_shako. GL

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 06, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »
For my mod, I was editting the plume texture. I made a new plume texture and editted one of them. Why does the background turn black and it looks horrible. How do I fix this?

The texture you were editing has a transparent background (alpha channels), in this case you've saved the texture without saving the transparency. Opening the .dds files in photoshop can also do this, it changes the transparent sections of the texture to black rather than keeping them in their original state.

But the background is still transparent.

It is more likely that you will get an answer if you put some more effort into your writing. Parrot gave you enough clues. What do you mean by "But the background is still transparent"? That it seems to be transparent in photoshop? Which program do you ues to edit textures, photoshop, gimp, something else?

Iirc in gimp you should export dds with some specific settings to make transparency work, but I didn't touch texturing in a long time. Try exporting the texture as DDS DXT5 with "weight by alpha" and "generate mip maps" ticked.

I'm sorry if I haven't described it enough.

I edited it in paint.net, and the background is transparent. I did what you said an in-game it appears white like this and doesn't appear when I look down at myself. Here is some examples:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]