Poll

Can Labour ever recover from their current situation?

Yes
13 (36.1%)
No
23 (63.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: UK General Election Thread - New Poll every Sunday  (Read 31909 times)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
Re: UK General Election Thread - With Poll
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2015, 08:28:03 pm »
People always either hate Israel or mass immigration but never both. :(

if only more people were like us...

told that bih don't @ me

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:58 pm »
Can someone explain what exactly is wrong with Ukip? Is it just because they're libertarian, or do they have some other retarded policies that isolate potential supporters?

Yeah it isn't all what Sven said but he did his best to belittle the left.

UKIP, and Nigel Farage in particular, are going about the campaign talking about how they are the party of the people and are so incredibly different from the "political class". However there's a large hypocrisy in that their leader has been a full time politician for 16 years, there only two elected members were both MPs before becoming UKIP ones and they have the lowest percentage of female candidates out of all the 6 main parties.

They also make a big fuss about the media bias against them. However, UKIP are on TV more than any other minor party and nearly as much as the two main ones. Despite having only two elected MPs.

Thirdly, their candidates have a habit of being a bit OTT with their freedom of speech. All the parties have their fuck ups, just UKIP seem to have a lot of them. They've had to ban former members of the old right-wing parties from joining to help prevent further cock ups. 

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »
A look at how Controlled the British Election is.

“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »
Ah k so most Brits are nanny state leachers. Makes more sense now. I thought for a second there was an actual reason people disliked ukip.

i guess on the other end of the political spectrum you could say they are run by jews and therefore its unethical to support them which i completly agree with

but what do i know

Spoiler
Why do you think it's unethical to support Jews?
[close]

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2015, 09:26:28 pm »
Ah k so most Brits are nanny state leachers. Makes more sense now. I thought for a second there was an actual reason people disliked ukip.

i guess on the other end of the political spectrum you could say they are run by jews and therefore its unethical to support them which i completly agree with

but what do i know

Spoiler
Why do you think it's unethical to support Jews?
[close]

Spoiler
could tell you but i would likely be abused by the mods
[close]

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2015, 09:27:14 pm »
Spoiler
Duuring will agree with you if anything lel nobody cares
[close]

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:05 pm »
Spoiler
he actually warned me last time i accused jews of their true ambitions to destroy christian culture and enslave the world
[close]

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »
Write it in the shoutbox then.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2015, 10:23:09 pm »
The whole electoral system is broken anyway and needs a complete reform.

Given 3 main parties, if party A gets 40% of the vote and B and C get 30% each, party A would win the constituency. Fine so far.
However, hypothetically, if that exact result were to occur in every constituency in the country, party A could get 100% of the seats and do whatever it wanted in the country, despite having only 40% of the national vote. The other two parties, with 30% of the vote each, would have literally no representation in government.

Obviously that's extreme, but it's happening to some degree in Scotland. The SNP is set to win almost all of the seats in Scotland, having almost complete control over the Scottish parliament. That's despite the fact that it has less than 50% of the vote in most constituencies. As more power devolves to Scotland, they have more freedom to do whatever the hell they want, with no other party able to stop them (assuming it's an issue which only affects Scotland).

And then you look at the actual individual votes themselves. In the hypothetical scenario, you have 60% of the national vote which is completely ignored. They count for absolutely zip when it comes to the national representation.

As for what would be better (just a guess, as I've not studied politics outside of high school), I reckon that it should be based on % voters (x candidates per party per % point) and regional and national elections should be separate. Let parties choose individuals to represent the party in government, but have it based on the popular vote. Or have voters choose a party and a candidate they want to fill a seat in government, and have the top picks enter government.
Either way, this way would at least mean that 100% of votes would count for something, rather than be discarded if they don't happen to swing the way of the leading party in the constituency.
Local elections could then simply be based on individuals, rather than parties (potentially), and regional politicians represent the needs of their constituency to the national level politicians, rather than simply using local votes to springboard themselves into national politics.

I'd be interested to see what other people think. I'd imagine there must be some flaws in it, or else it would have been suggested a while ago (although in reality it's probably kept the same to keep old white men in power).

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2015, 11:34:38 pm »
That's the disadvantage of a majority-plurality system as they have in the UK. It's why I'm glad that we have a system of proportional representation  :P

Granted, there are also some disadvantages to the proportional representation-system, but as far as democracy and representation are concerned, it's much better.

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:03 am »
Duuring just sits on this thread to talk about the British system. He does it in Steam too. There's a reason we still have it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2015, 01:09:29 am »
Yeah, people are stupid.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37:56 am »
Can someone explain what exactly is wrong with Ukip? Is it just because they're libertarian, or do they have some other retarded policies that isolate potential supporters?

Yeah it isn't all what Sven said but he did his best to belittle the left.

UKIP, and Nigel Farage in particular, are going about the campaign talking about how they are the party of the people and are so incredibly different from the "political class". However there's a large hypocrisy in that their leader has been a full time politician for 16 years, there only two elected members were both MPs before becoming UKIP ones and they have the lowest percentage of female candidates out of all the 6 main parties.

They also make a big fuss about the media bias against them. However, UKIP are on TV more than any other minor party and nearly as much as the two main ones. Despite having only two elected MPs.

Thirdly, their candidates have a habit of being a bit OTT with their freedom of speech. All the parties have their fuck ups, just UKIP seem to have a lot of them. They've had to ban former members of the old right-wing parties from joining to help prevent further cock ups.

Gotta disagree with most of your points. UKIP quite clearly are different to the rest of the political class (not saying they're any better or worse, just different). Farage actually had a career in the private sector and had his own business before he went into politics, he only got elected after actually doing something with his life. All the others, Cameron, Clegg, Miliband etc all went the exact same route: graduated from Oxbridge, went to work for their relative political parties in central office and then became SpAds, progressing on to become MPs around the age of 32. All three of them have only really ever worked in politics and have little experience of the outside world. Cameron has the most experience of the private sector, as he worked at a PR company for two years. Miliband has never worked outside the public sector.

Probably true about its MPs being former Tories and the relative lack of female candidates.

Come on, you find that in all the parties, it's just the media like to play up the stereotype of UKIP being homophobic etc and focus in on it. I'd argue the media elite is just as narrow and from the same liberal North London background as the politicians. They love to bash UKIP whenever possible.

I probably won't vote for them, but they do raise a lot of legitimate points about the current narrow eliteness of UK politics and how distanced the main parties are from the concerns of their voters.