Author Topic: TJR: The Jacobites Rising[M]. 43rd Highlander pg. 78  (Read 154085 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Jacobite's Rising
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »
It's a collision of languages here. Empire might have different meanings, the 'rijk' in the 'Nederlandse rijk' stand for kingdom, not empire.

Even then, 'Imperial' always means 'keizerlijk' - the Kingdom equivalent of it would be 'Royal'. That's what I meant. I leave the discussion of language problems to people who know something about language studies - Not really my cup of tea.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »
Gosh, Get Two Dutch people together and it's like a jacobite and a williamite  :P

Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de koning(in)...

You reminded me of someone just now... a certain Balkanite with a love for Russia...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Gosh, Get Two Dutch people together and it's like a jacobite and a williamite  :P

Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de koning(in)...

You reminded me of someone just now... a certain Balkanite with a love for Russia...

But I'm not a balkanite with a love from Russia. I'm a Dutchman with a love for France. THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

I get your point, though. I'll try to be less...what's the word...Extreme?  ::) Then, it's time to end this discussion for it adds nothing to the thread.

I should get a seal saying 'Duuring is always right'...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:41:18 pm by Duuring »

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
Well, At Least the scottish jacobites are not austrian now, so that's a improvement no?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:57 pm »
Well, At Least the scottish jacobites are not austrian now, so that's a improvement no?

You mean, no highlanders saying 'God shits on the kaiser'?

Not sure if that's an improvement, but okay.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
Are the (Highland) troops of the Jacobite faction going to have Gaelic war-cries, or will it be English? (Since we seem to be on the subject of war-cries.)

Offline Bad_Highlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2013, 05:07:54 pm »
Are the (Highland) troops of the Jacobite faction going to have Gaelic war-cries, or will it be English? (Since we seem to be on the subject of war-cries.)

For now it is n English with a Scottish accent.  But it will be worked on so they will chant in Gaelic  8)

^^He's Right^^

Offline Scorpia

• First Lieutenant
  • You know who I am.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Scorpia the Great
  • Side: Union
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:37 pm »
Can't remember if it was this time in age or another, but Gaelic was banned by the Brits. And during the 1200s Gaelic wasn't well spoken. Today it is small amount who speak it, dying language. They would (historically speaking) speak English.

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 05:25:50 pm »
Can't remember if it was this time in age or another, but Gaelic was banned by the Brits. And during the 1200s Gaelic wasn't well spoken. Today it is small amount who speak it, dying language. They would (historically speaking) speak English.
The Highland Clearances happened after Culloden(attributed as the main reason for them) although i may be wrong about that..Correct. 10 points to me
either way you have a point, but i remember from a book about the wars that the soldiers still spoke Gaelic. (if i am right)
(In case you didn't know the Clearances where when Britain cracked down on the "Scottish" culture in Scotland, banning the kilt and bagpipes and tartan)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:33:12 pm by Viktor 90th »

Offline pod455

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Padraig
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »
Gaelic has been spoken alot by Irish and scottish during war, in the american civil war the irish regiments spoke irish and did their orders in irish, not sure about the jacobites rising though

Offline Scorpia

• First Lieutenant
  • You know who I am.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Scorpia the Great
  • Side: Union
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:49 pm »
The Highland Clearances happened after Culloden(attributed as the main reason for them) although i may be wrong about that..
either way you have a point, but i remember from a book about the wars that the soldiers still spoke Gaelic. (if i am right)
(In case you didn't know the Clearances where when Britain cracked down on the "Scottish" culture in Scotland, banning the kilt and bagpipes and tartan)
Yes, It would be afterwards, because that poet Robert Burns was around when kilts were banned which is where the world was changing mostly. A few folk still do speak Gaelic, like there is a channel on TV called "BBC ALBA" A TV show where they just speak Gaelic. Pretty shit, but not even half of the Scottish population knows it.

Offline Bad_Highlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:05 pm »

Gaelic was well spoken amongst them men of the Young Pretender.  As well as knowing part English too.  After the Battle of Culloden , the new Landowners that came into Scotland banned everything Gaelic - Gaelic Spoken Language, Tartan, Kilts, Bagpipes and even Clan Culture!! :(.  Wasn't until 1886 until crofters and new landowners were given back security for tenure of their own lands.  And about 1980ish when Gaelic was actually revived.

^^He's Right^^

Offline Bad_Highlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 05:39:19 pm »
Gaelic has been spoken alot by Irish and scottish during war, in the american civil war the irish regiments spoke irish and did their orders in irish, not sure about the jacobites rising though

Two slightly different languages Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic :)

^^He's Right^^

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »
Good news!
Development is ahead of schedule which means i get a break to do educational work that i've been neglecting  ;D

Offline pod455

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Padraig
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:39 pm »

Two slightly different languages Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic :)
different but both used in war