Author Topic: Unknown submarine detected in Stockholm, Sweden  (Read 3093 times)

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Unknown submarine detected in Stockholm, Sweden
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:50:13 am »
Unknown submarine was detected near Stockholm, Sweden, has apparently run into trouble because Swedish authorities intercepted a distress call in Russian. But Russia’s defense ministry is claiming that none of their Russian submarines are in trouble.

In a related report by The Inquisitr, the new Russian submarine design, the Amur 1650, is going to be given to China as part of a larger deal involving raw materials, weapons, and economic treaties. It’s alleged by some experts that Vladimir Putin has a twisted fantasy involving Russia’s nuclear weapons, and it’s even claimed that Russian nuclear missiles may be aimed at U.S. bases in Australia.

The Russian submarine near Stockholm, Sweden, was reported earlier this week based upon “foreign underwater activity” detected in the Stockholm archipelago. According to Captain Jonas Wikström, Swedish military personnel began searching for the potential Russian submarine incursion, which was believed to be replacing old spy equipment or monitoring Swedish naval exercises in the area.

“We consider the information we received as very trustworthy. I, as head of operations, have therefore decided to increase the number of units in the area.”

As previously reported by The Inquisitr, the presence of a Russian submarine was seemingly confirmed when radio broadcasts were triangulated to have come from Kaliningrad, the home port for Russia’s Baltic Sea fleet.

“Friday night signal intelligence once again intercepted radio communication. This time it was encrypted but it was possible to determine the position of the transmitter and the receiver. The transmitter was situated somewhere in Kanholmsfjärden in the archipelago of Stockholm, and the receiver was situated in Kaliningrad, Russia.”

The Russian submarine is believed to be suffering from mechanical problems, and may even be crippled or damaged, based upon reports. The distress signal was sent out on an emergency radio frequency. and it’s claimed the speakers used the Russian language.

But the Russian defense ministry denies reports that one of their Russian submarines is anywhere near Sweden.

“Russia’s submarines, like the surface ships, have been following their tasks in the world’s oceans according to the plan,” said a Russian defense ministry spokesman according to the Daily Mail. “There have not been any emergencies or accidents with the Russian military vessels.”

Even the Swedish government is not willing to confirm that they are looking for a Russian submarine.

“The Swedish Armed Forces are not in a position to deny or verify media news or speculations recently published about a missing foreign submarine,” said Erik Lagersten, Director for Communication and Public Affairs of the Swedish Armed Forces, according to Reuters. “At the moment we are conducting an intelligence operation in the archipelago of Stockholm with optical reconnaissance as well as with naval vessels equipped with qualified underwater sensors… to establish if there are or has been foreign underwater activities in the area.”

According to BBC News, a Visby-class Swedish corvette is equipped with anti-submarine technology, and has joined the helicopters and amphibious troops in their hunt for the potentially damaged Russian submarine. This event is considered Sweden’s largest military mobilization since the end of the Cold War.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
Re: Unknown submarine detected in Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »
Just because they spoke Russian means they are Russian as well? No, it doesn't.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Krotan

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »
Considering submarines are for the military, I highly doubt a country like Spain or somewhere would be sending out a distress call in Russian, Riddlez.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:51:28 pm »
Considering submarines are for the military, I highly doubt a country like Spain or somewhere would be sending out a distress call in Russian, Riddlez.

Never know. But it could also be a former USSR country where a crew accidentally is Russian Speaking?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:35:09 pm »

Never know. But it could also be a former USSR country where a crew accidentally is Russian Speaking?

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are doing this,

Those are the only ones with sea outlets in the baltic. This wouldnt be the first time Russias have sent dubs to Sweden without permission.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

Those are the only ones with sea outlets in the baltic. This wouldnt be the first time Russias have sent dubs to Sweden without permission.

None of those 3 countries have submarines.

And yes, I'm 99,9% sure there has been a russian submarine in swedish territory. And so are the experts  in sub-surface warfare that I work with. I highly doubt it's still there though.
Unless it broke and sunk, a mini-sub that is suitable for doing reconnaissance won't stay on the bottom for this long. It's possible yes, but it would be much easier and practical for it to simply escape. Escaping in a costal/mini-sub is quite easy in an archipelago as sonars, both active and passive, have short range in such waters, and a small sub can get close to islands, cliffs etc and hide. That, and working with a datum that is always out-dated makes it impossible for the swedes to find it.

But as written in the Scandinavian thread about this, the swedish navy probably got a pretty strong case when they have to discuss the next budget for the navy  ;)
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »

None of those 3 countries have submarines.

And yes, I'm 99,9% sure there has been a russian submarine in swedish territory. And so are the experts  in sub-surface warfare that I work with. I highly doubt it's still there though.
Unless it broke and sunk, a mini-sub that is suitable for doing reconnaissance won't stay on the bottom for this long. It's possible yes, but it would be much easier and practical for it to simply escape. Escaping in a costal/mini-sub is quite easy in an archipelago as sonars, both active and passive, have short range in such waters, and a small sub can get close to islands, cliffs etc and hide. That, and working with a datum that is always out-dated makes it impossible for the swedes to find it.

But as written in the Scandinavian thread about this, the swedish navy probably got a pretty strong case when they have to discuss the next budget for the navy  ;)

You always have a strong case when pleading for more budget for the military. You can go too far, true, but you know what I mean anyways.

Side note: I am generally interested with how many sub-surface warfare experts you would meet. It depends on what line of work you do, obviously, which is, if you want to say, what I am asking.

(I'd guess something military)

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »
I'm in the danish navy :)
More specifically in Battle Intelligence with special in Electronic Warfare.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:12:33 pm by Hugh MacKay »
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
I'm in the danish navy :)
More specifically in Battle Intelligence with special in Electronic Warfare.

Well, that sure explains something =D

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:22 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29736481

Drama Drama.

They make it sound so much more dramatic than it is.
According to the NOS, the Dutch national news, the surveilliance plane was intercepted by Portugese fighters after less tham one minute of being into Estonian airspace

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:25:05 pm »
Nothing new right? Russia has been constantly testing country's responses by harassing their borders, whether its over Alaska or Scandinavia or Japan or wherever. 

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
There will be a bit of accusing each other but within a month there be silence again. Russia is once again testing its boundaries.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »
Honestly, lets just nuke the fuckers. "Well the nuke was only in your airspace for around a minute..."

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »
Get off my personal text Tiki!