Poll

What are you looking forward to the most in NaS 1.0?

The new uniforms and classes
86 (57.7%)
The new sounds
8 (5.4%)
The new environment and scenes
22 (14.8%)
The new props
6 (4%)
The replacement of all CSA officers with Manny Calavera from LucasArts' Grim Fandango
27 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: June 01, 2015, 11:56:54 am

Author Topic: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]  (Read 271686 times)

Offline JohannGustavsen

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stMN[B]Cpt.Wilfried
  • Side: Union
Re: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]
« Reply #1575 on: May 22, 2015, 09:07:51 am »
For me it doesnt destroy the atmosphere but I can understand that it does for some people. The thing is just that I fear any kind of formation will be so much harder and maybe even too hard to perform without a third person view. I for example always use third person view in NW Linebattles (except for shooting) because otherwise I always run into my mates when in formation.

But wait you new feature! Even jogging will cause you to lose stamina, marching at single time will be the only way to get into battle. Obviously not true but if it was that would be hardcore.

Offline Sc4rfoo

• First Sergeant
  • HHR Nr15
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1576 on: May 22, 2015, 04:47:09 pm »
The balance between the old NaS and the new one is important!

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1577 on: May 22, 2015, 06:46:35 pm »
Found this video, incase you were thinking of adding unique animations for the British Enfield, it's pretty interesting.  :P
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAu4YuiqN9o[/youtube]

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1578 on: May 23, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »
Found this video, incase you were thinking of adding unique animations for the British Enfield, it's pretty interesting.  :P

Cool vid and some similar movements to McClellan's bayo manual that he wrote. But it's not what American armies of the time would of used. McClellan's manual can be found here:

http://www.64thill.org/drillmanuals/mcclellans_bayonetexercise/bayonet_exercise.pdf

And some of the movements performed here:

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 23, 2015, 03:09:31 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Cool vid and some similar movements to McClellan's bayo manual that he wrote. But it's not what American armies of the time would of used. McClellan's manual can be found here:

http://www.64thill.org/drillmanuals/mcclellans_bayonetexercise/bayonet_exercise.pdf

Spoiler
[close]
Granted it's not what the americans used, but seeing as they're adding a British faction in.  :P

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 23, 2015, 03:26:54 pm »
Got it. Loved the vid! Hadn't seen it

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #1581 on: May 23, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »

Well, warband is not the best engine to add so many different animations and its nearly impossible to assign unique animations for a faction.

Those animations, for example the melee drill of the 5th New York, are mostly covered 1:1 in War of Rights instead.. mostly not possible in NaS  :)

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
« Reply #1582 on: May 23, 2015, 04:07:56 pm »
Thats good stuff for parades but a joke for real melees. Bayonet era melees were (when it occasionally happened) just a real messy crowd with random stabbing and clubbing and doing some fancy foot steps wouldnt bring you anywhere.
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 23, 2015, 04:11:55 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines as having the British Rifle as it's own type of weapon, allowing you to add different animations to it compared to the other muskets.  :P

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 23, 2015, 04:16:00 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines as having the British Rifle as it's own type of weapon, allowing you to add different animations to it compared to the other muskets.  :P

Well, there are basicly just 2 types of weapons: Muskets and pistols.. each share a different animation.
You can't actually add the british rifle as an own weapon with a new set of animations. Otherwise we would have different animations/reloading for carbines/breech loaders.. :)

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 23, 2015, 04:50:04 pm »

Well, there are basicly just 2 types of weapons: Muskets and pistols.. each share a different animation.
You can't actually add the british rifle as an own weapon with a new set of animations. Otherwise we would have different animations/reloading for carbines/breech loaders.. :)
Well how did Wilhelm get different animations for bayonetted/unbayonetted firearms for his mod Blood & Iron?

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 23, 2015, 05:04:47 pm »
Thats good stuff for parades but a joke for real melees. Bayonet era melees were (when it occasionally happened) just a real messy crowd with random stabbing and clubbing and doing some fancy foot steps wouldnt bring you anywhere.

Actually not true when it came to few times CW melee happened. They are teaching you a base so you won't be thrown off balance. It's the same reason the modern military still teaches the same base with bayonet fighting.

Well, warband is not the best engine to add so many different animations and its nearly impossible to assign unique animations for a faction.

Those animations, for example the melee drill of the 5th New York, are mostly covered 1:1 in War of Rights instead.. mostly not possible in NaS  :)

I saw Hinkel. Looking forward to it  ;D.

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
« Reply #1587 on: May 23, 2015, 05:35:43 pm »

Actually not true when it came to few times CW melee happened. They are teaching you a base so you won't be thrown off balance. It's the same reason the modern military still teaches the same base with bayonet fighting.

When hundreds of men crash together in a big blob the worlds best balance wont help you at all. Dont try to convince me these exercises are anything other than aesthetical. And bayonet fighting in modern military? Oh boy
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]
« Reply #1588 on: May 23, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »
Bayonet drill still happens whether you want to admit it or not. And balance in fighting is essential... For any discipline.

John Parrish of 121st New York credited the balance he learned in drill with saving his life at the Mule Shoe (and that was the worst hand to hand of the war).

Whatever your preconceived notions are... It did have a place. Not exactly the way you've seen in the videos but it was used. Primary sources have proven it.

Look you're going to have your opinion and I'm going to have mine. Best to just leave it here
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:20:06 pm by MackCW »

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »

When hundreds of men crash together in a big blob the worlds best balance wont help you at all. Dont try to convince me these exercises are anything other than aesthetical. And bayonet fighting in modern military? Oh boy

Well, I have to support Mack.
Those drilled movements happened alot in the combat.

If you look into the after action reports or letters, books of the veterans, that drill and melee combat did happen mostly! It wasnt always that chaotic like you said.
They continued to use the stuff, they learned in the camp.