Poll

What are you looking forward to the most in NaS 1.0?

The new uniforms and classes
86 (57.7%)
The new sounds
8 (5.4%)
The new environment and scenes
22 (14.8%)
The new props
6 (4%)
The replacement of all CSA officers with Manny Calavera from LucasArts' Grim Fandango
27 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: June 01, 2015, 11:56:54 am

Author Topic: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]  (Read 271750 times)

Offline Dithon1

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]
« Reply #570 on: December 22, 2014, 01:41:51 am »
No... :)
We have 2 different ideas, how we could arrange it.

1) Both would have 2 rifles to choose, one accurate rifle with minor melee ability (no bayonet), or a more inaccurate rifle, but with bayonet.

2) 1 historical rifle for each class (like springfield 42 for the south, harpers ferry for the north), but both would have different stats. Like CS rifles better in melee, US rifles better in accuracy.

I want a difference in each army.. It would be boring, if both factions are the same.

So is the Harper's Ferry rifle going to have a bayonet or not?

What weapons are you looking to equip both factions with? Which unit types will get which specific weapons?

And what with the melee speed? Confederate 42 rifles are way slower then the union 55 in the current N&S

This is true. The 1842 (bayoneted) has a speed of 70. The 1855 (bayoneted) has a speed of 85.

Offline NicolasKiyoshi

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #571 on: December 22, 2014, 04:02:52 am »

1) Both would have 2 rifles to choose, one accurate rifle with minor melee ability (no bayonet), or a more inaccurate rifle, but with bayonet.

2) 1 historical rifle for each class (like springfield 42 for the south, harpers ferry for the north), but both would have different stats. Like CS rifles better in melee, US rifles better in accuracy.

I want a difference in each army.. It would be boring, if both factions are the same.

Why don't you just simply add the sword bayonet to the Mississippi Rifle? First of all, could you do like they do in Iron Europe? There you can can both fix your bayonet, which is in occupying a slot in your inventory or simply use it alone if you wish. Also, it would be more historically accurate and nice to have sword bayonets ingame.

http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1221A.JPG
http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1008J.JPG

Offline Dithon1

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:35 am »

Why don't you just simply add the sword bayonet to the Mississippi Rifle? First of all, could you do like they do in Iron Europe? There you can can both fix your bayonet, which is in occupying a slot in your inventory or simply use it alone if you wish. Also, it would be more historically accurate and nice to have sword bayonets ingame.

http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1221A.JPG
http://relicman.com/weapons/imageweapon/W1008J.JPG

Same for the Lorenz Rifle and Enfield 1853. Those you wouldn't even have to get new models for - just re-use the spike bayonet you already have.

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #573 on: December 22, 2014, 06:52:42 am »
I think you guys are missing his point. If every gun had Bayonets melee would get rather stale, so to spice things up some units will have to weight their options on which gun to take. While to some it may seem unfair its adding flavor and making command decision matter, unlike in NW where all guns are standard. AT some point historical accuracy needs to take a back seat to game play and realistically if all guns had bayonets the choice between rifles would become less important. Its those difficult choices that can make the game more fun, like to I want a lower accuracy higher damage Burnside or a more accurate but survivable sharps carbine. Without choices like these whats to keep this game from being an accuracy boost to NW?

Offline Dithon1

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:15 am »
Without choices like these whats to keep this game from being an accuracy boost to NW?
If every gun had Bayonets melee would get rather stale, so to spice things up some units will have to weight their options on which gun to take.

This choice is already in NW in the same form as it is currently in NaS. I hate it in NW, and I hate it in NaS. Why is there a "sword bayonet" for my Baker Rifle on my belt if I can't use it as a bayonet? Those Hussars are closing fast; If I were an actual British Rifleman in 1810 I'd fix my sword bayonet, but I guess it's time to prepare my anus.

AT some point historical accuracy needs to take a back seat to game play and realistically if all guns had bayonets the choice between rifles would become less important.

If you make three tools all designed for the same job, but one of them is better at it in every way than the rest, what real choice is there?

Its those difficult choices that can make the game more fun, like to I want a lower accuracy higher damage Burnside or a more accurate but survivable sharps carbine.

This is somewhat inaccurate. On paper, all three carbines do the same damage. There are only two differences between them at this point: Their accuracy, and the velocity of the bullet they shoot. Whether projectiles are actually subject to damage bonuses from said velocity like melee attacks are is unclear (to me, at least). The least accurate gun (Burns) shoots the fastest bullet. The most accurate (Sharps) shoots the slowest bullet. What I have noticed is that I'll often hit more targets with the more inaccurate gun because of its increased projectile speed. I don't have to lead as much over longer distances, you see.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:26:50 am by Dithon1 »

Offline Dithon1

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:01 am »
This forum is stupid. Why is there no delete post button?

Offline LFCJames

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: LFCJames
« Reply #576 on: December 22, 2014, 04:41:51 pm »
I am sure, most of you will hate me for that... but I want to introduce the 2nd Maine Infantry. One of the most important union regiments at Manassas.
They were the first on the field and the last regiment, which left the Battlefield.

Like many other union regiment, the 2nd Maine showed up in their fancy pre-war uniform.

Those CSA-Monkeys wont suspect a thing!

All I need to see as a skirmisher, is their shiny Springfield, soon to be mine ;)

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #577 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:21 pm »
All I want is something that I can go bang and pew with and something I can do some stabby goodness with.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #578 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:00 am »
Watching, The Red Badge of Courage makes me wanna play this version of the mod so much!

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #579 on: December 24, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
Made a small test, so you get a view on a 3D model, not just a screenshot.

Just click on the picture.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:53:09 am by Hinkel »

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 24, 2014, 10:58:38 am »
I like the trousers

Offline KillerShark

• First Lieutenant
  • THE KillerShark
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 24, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
I really like that uniform
Former: 29th CSjt, 12th Cpl, Nr37 Kpl, 21eme SoD, 18th LtCol, 1stMN/64th SgtMaj, 23rdPA SgtMaj, 45e CplFo, 78th ESO, 29th Capt, 57th Kgm, LG Fus, 71st Cpl, 34e SoD, 2ndQF LCpl, LG Uffz, Nr4 Gmnr, 98e SoD, 75e Fus, 18e FusV, 47th Grd, and 21st Pte.

Self Proclaimed best movement key player NA

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #582 on: December 24, 2014, 06:50:00 pm »
I really like that uniform

To be honest, it was not really an uniform. The 1st Minnesota had regular sack coats at Manassas, but due to the heat that day, many soldiers took of their jackets and just wear their shirt :)
This picture was nearly for every unit at the Battle.

I love that reenactment picture:

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:52:41 pm by Hinkel »

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #583 on: December 24, 2014, 07:04:14 pm »
They may have different uniforms, but boy do they sure look nice.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #584 on: December 24, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
This choice is already in NW in the same form as it is currently in NaS. I hate it in NW, and I hate it in NaS. Why is there a "sword bayonet" for my Baker Rifle on my belt if I can't use it as a bayonet? Those Hussars are closing fast; If I were an actual British Rifleman in 1810 I'd fix my sword bayonet, but I guess it's time to prepare my anus.
What fun would the game be if every unit had a bayonet but some guns were more accurate? You have always argued for game play before accuracy Dithon, tell me how that is fair?

If you make three tools all designed for the same job, but one of them is better at it in every way than the rest, what real choice is there?
Look in North and South and you will find 4 common swords (there are more but they are rarely seen) the 1860 saber, 1840 saber, 1850 staff sword, and the NCO sword. Which one is better? Is it the fast 1860, the long and hard hitting 1840, the long and powerful 1850 or the short and swift NCO. All swords yes, all designed to kill people, but all designed in different contexts, the same holds true for the variety of swords in NW. You wont realisticly find something that is better in every possible way because then nobody would use anything different, considering both rifled muskets and rifles were used in the Civil War speaks to the point that there was no one perfect solution.

This is somewhat inaccurate. On paper, all three carbines do the same damage. There are only two differences between them at this point: Their accuracy, and the velocity of the bullet they shoot. Whether projectiles are actually subject to damage bonuses from said velocity like melee attacks are is unclear (to me, at least). The least accurate gun (Burns) shoots the fastest bullet. The most accurate (Sharps) shoots the slowest bullet. What I have noticed is that I'll often hit more targets with the more inaccurate gun because of its increased projectile speed. I don't have to lead as much over longer distances, you see.
Dithon I can assure you from a code standpoint and a game play standpoint the Burnside is the least accurate but most powerful carbine. If you don't believe me you can break out the code and see for yourself, or even better look at the nice pretty file provided in the module that spells out the stats in plain English. As for your experience with the Burnside that's more of a personal perspective and if it works for you that is great, however I'm just laying bare the stats.