Author Topic: Rome II: Total War - News, Features, Articles & Interviews  (Read 3354 times)

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
  • Side: Union
Rome II: Total War - News, Features, Articles & Interviews
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:22 am »

I will update this thread with every info regarding Rome II so you can enjoy them. If you have found any news regarding Rome II then don't hesitate to post them here and I will add them to the lists. Feel free to discuss anything related to Rome II.  ;)

Rome II - Trailers

Spoiler
Rome II - Official Gameplay Trailer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHV628oGiU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Rome II - Carthage Gameplay Walkthrough

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGPuNiWlvQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
[close]

Interviews

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]McPgIb18uPE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz5MMr1zQRc&feature=colike[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2tycIeIDUbw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eBq_04CF0qc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JgHfalOJj78[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TfDevYT6SS0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sPN_2J6TwSk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpolPKmKe_U&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbBrxNNT6s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
[close]

Articles

Rome II: Total War - Motion Capture

Rome II: Total War - Release Date

Total War & Steam

Total War with a Human Face

Eurogamer Expo - Live Demo of Rome II

Features & Battle Description

Rome II Preview and Improvements

Rome II - Preview, Interview and Screens

Engine, Naval Combat, Multiplayer and Mods

Everything We Know Detailed

Interview

Naval Combat

IGN Article & Short Video

CA On Rome II`s AI, Scope & Incendary Pigs!

The Community, Modding & Engine

Lead Designer Interviewed Regarding Ancient Warfare, Modding, DLC and Cooperation with the Community

Features & Summary of Demo

Summary of Demo & More Features

Rome II: Total War - Software

Factions in Rome II: Total War

Rome

Carthage

Summary of new features:

• Shogun 2 was set in narrow geographical areas, with limited sets of units - a comparatively small scale to what's being intended with Rome II. It was designed with a focus on game systems, such as engine polishing and improvements to unit pathing.
  • With that in place, Rome II is going big - it's bigger than Rome 1 in geographical scale.
  • The game's key design vision is in taking players from a macro to micro scale, such as jumping from a campaign map to a single unit.
  • Despite that focus, Rome II is still attempting to make its macro scale bigger - we're guessing the senate will play a large part of that, but Creative Assembly won't say just yet.
  • As you rise through the ranks, your success will attract less-than-favourable responses from some of your friends. You will almost definitely get betrayed. There's "more human-level drama on the campaign map" in Rome II.
  • The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier. The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.
  • Ultimately, the game will allow you to decide whether to favour the republic or become Rome's dictator.
  • The game's cameras have been redesigned. You can now lock the camera to single units. In this mode it functions like a sort of documentary cam, shaking while the unit walks – it's "a soldier's eye view" according to Creative Assembly.
  • The demonstration takes place with a scenario set during the Third Punic War, which took place during 149BC to 146BC. The scenario here is the Siege of Carthage.
  • Rome II: Total War features a new graphics engine, which features particle and deferred lighting.
  • The game can now combine naval and land battles into the same conflict, including naval invasions: in this demo a Roman ship lands on the coast of Carthage.
  • Naval units now have more than one ship per unit.
  • Though expected, we see catapults and ballistae being put to good use.
  • The demo has a big focus on Roman siege towers, and the snap-to unit camera takes the view of the game inside the siege tower itself.
  • Conflicts take place over much bigger environments - much of Carthage has been recreated in the demo. To accommodate this extra scale, the game now features a top-down tactical map.
  • There are multiple ways to capture cities. Walls can be reduced to rubble after they've sustained enough damage, for instance. It's designed to create cat-and-mouse gameplay: "You're not just sitting in the plaza once the walls are breached trying to defend that one area"
  • There's a real oomph when units engage, with walls of shields colliding.
  • The new graphics engine can show some impressive fidelity for a game of this scale. We can clearly see that Cathage's walls have graffiti.
  • Buildings crumble in the background as Carthage deploys its war elephants and the demo ends.
  • The unit camera has been designed so the game feels like it's "almost Saving Private Ryan at the beaches".
  • Each unit has its own facial animations, and leaders bark out a stream of orders throughout. each confrontation.
  • Units react to things, such as their colleagues being slaughtered - the idea is that these aren't idenikit clone armies anymore.
  • The map he was playing was a scenario about the conquest of Carthage.
  • Naval warfare and land warfare seems to be combinable in this sense.
  • Ships can provide covering fire with their ballistas and catapults
  • The walls are collapsing at different parts (you can also conquer the walls traditionally).
  • The sheer number of ships and legionnaires is far beyond the numbers of previous games.
  • The battle map is larger than Shogun 2
  • New Voices
  • As they are taking the tower, one officer screams toward his men, "For the honor of Rome!"
  • You will also see soldiers that will react to the death of one of their comrades
  • Troop speed and movements seem faster
  • New feature: by hitting tab, you get a 2D overview of the battlefield, displaying troops with colored symbols (much more detailed than the current radar map); you can't give orders in this mode, however
  • The development team is currently pondering an ambush system specifically for siege battles. Certain troop types could blockade a street or hide on a side street and then fall into the back of the attackers.
  • You can no longer simply retreat to the central plaza as a defender, but there will be several capture points within a city.
  • CA is planning on giving (all or some?) battles scripted content to make each battle feel different.
  • There will be more variation in the battlefields than ever before in a TW-game.
  •   CA said you'll be able to follow Romes growth from the beginning until the end of the empire, thus giving us some perspective in when the game will take place.     
  • CA will put a great effort in depicting the variation in each and every culture of the different factions and giving each factions a depth. And giving each faction an army and tactic specific for these different factions.
  • Rome 2 is probably gonna field the greatest number of different units than in any other TW-game.
  • Ca mentions that spartas general is going the be on foot, not on horse. If you can play as Spartans there is a good chance that the greek city states will be individual factions and not a united one like in Rome 1.
  • The diplomacy is going to get a great buff.
  • It has been said that there will be about 50 factions in ROME II. Not entirely confirmed.
  • When the Creative Assembly announces a new Total War, strategists can not only expect new gameplay features, but also improvements in the presentation, historical battles, especially the graphics, physics, map size and number of combatants. To satisfy the high expectations of the fans, the developers are combining, for the first time in the series, land- and sea battles and introduces a Unit Cam for the observation of the battles on the ground. The selfmade cutting-edge engine uses the potential of the platform PC consequently, including DX11 and multicore support. The programmers Richard Gardner and Charlie Dell explain to us the technical changes necessary for the new features of Rome 2.
  • The Creative Assembly has worked a lot on the graphics chip and both performance and in-game graphics have been enhanced.

There will be one Roman faction with three families.

I know there is another Rome II thread, but in this thread I can keep everything updated a lot easier. I hope you like it! [/list]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:58:58 am by The Norseman »
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Jamez

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Rome II: Total War - News, Features, Articles & Interviews
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:04 am »
so many new features! I LOVE IT

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:38 am »
Yes and these are not all! I am posting the official Faction previews now! :)

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
Factions in Rome II: Total War

Rome

Carthage

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »
New gameplay video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aBEimRtX2aA[/youtube]

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »
Not to be annoying, but why have this thread where a few things gets posted randomly instead of just keeping it to the bigger R2-thread? :) I mean, if it was updated etc. there would be a good point in it, but for now there is really none :)
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:00:57 am »
Aha did not see there was another one! He should copy paste the posts I made so that it is cleaner like this! :P

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:11:54 am »
Well the whole problem is just that nobody got time to update such a thread :p Much easier just to post the stuff in the thread as it comes along :)
Normally it's done on the official TW-forum, but it seems nobody has taken up the task this time around.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:17 am »
We have an official TW-forum o.O?

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:25 am »
Well not here :p
I'm talking about this one: http://forums.totalwar.com/forum.php

Probably confusing everyone when I say TW here. Everywhere else it's a shortening for Total War, while here it's a shortening for TaleWorlds :p

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:54 am »
Oh lol dont use that site. :P ALL total war fans are on this site: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1893-Total-War-Rome-II-General-Discussion It is also the link to the Rome II forum where you can find ALL information about campaign map, features and dat stuff. :)

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:49:00 am »
Certainly knows TWCenter yes, but we are quite a number on the official that dislikes it quite a lot. The whole feeling is just not very friendly over there, people have a big tendence to trolling and are generally not very mature. Something that certainly does not happen on the official forums where people seems a lot more mature and trolling is not looked briefly upon, something other forums could learn from *cough* FSE *cough*. We might seem a bit private sometimes, but many of us have known each other from back at the Yuku forums(the old one which was introduced around Rome I think) but I promise we wont bite  ;)
And yes, I do follow a bit on TWCenter, but I very rarely post in there as I simply don't like the forum. And as it seems there is no proper list over there either, probably because of the huge workload :p Can't remember if anyone has made one for any of the games without abandoning it due to the huuuge workload.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:09:51 am »
Certainly knows TWCenter yes, but we are quite a number on the official that dislikes it quite a lot. The whole feeling is just not very friendly over there, people have a big tendence to trolling and are generally not very mature.

+1

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 11:23:34 am »
Haha well then you must look again or be blind if you dont think there are proper lists there. :P You can find EVERYTHING there. Nothing is missed there so I have no idea what you are possibly talking about. Name one single thing and it will be there, jeez there is even a list of ALL threads ever started in the Rome II forum divided into their own sub-groups. I only go to the totalwar forums sometimes because I know you can see what is new there in the updates from CA, but those news will be up in TWCenter within minutes so it does not really matter. TWcenter does have some trolls, but those are only the new members and the be honest total war forums seems to be way less friendly and have a lack of humour. We had a guy come over from Total war forum and saying in our thread that our hotseat rules(campaign rules) were shit so no, they are not more mature, and it was not only him. After he had posted 4 more from that forum came to flame on the rules and we handled it like adults and since then people started disliking total war forumers. And for all I know many of you might have posted in the political mud pit or Thema Devia and ended up losing a debate and becoming angry, but if you did so then I suggest to just stay away from those parts and go to the totalwar-related parts instead. But I guess it is a matter of opinion. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:28:21 am by The Norseman »

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:37 pm »
First you don't know the official forums. Then suddenly you know all about it and starts shittalking it.  ::) Did I hit a nerve there?

And I'm not talking about "everything being on the forum". I mean a single post with all information and sources. Don't know if it was done on TWCenter, but it was done on the official forums. And no, I'm still not talking about a post that lists half the features and links to a lot of threads. So please provide me with a list if it exist. Would certainly be a nice gesture :)