Author Topic: Best General of All Time?  (Read 12812 times)

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
  • Don't expect much out of me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_SoPV_Bruin
  • Side: Union
Re: Best General of All Time?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »
Looking at the above list, £10 down on the table that you are an American. Many, many over-glorified names.
I could of added more... like Wellington, George Washington, Alexander I, Julius Caesar, Augustus, Gebhard von Blücher, and Robert E Lee. Shit the list could go on and on I just added some major people. And these people are not "over-glorified" lol... Alexander the Great did more then anyone ever dreamed. Alexander the Great one of the few people/nation to conquer Afghanistan. Erwin Rommel, lead Germany to many victory's in Africa. With the Afrika Corps all ready on low moral and supplies he still pulled of victory, he also attempted to create the greatest defensive called the Atlantic Wall. George Patton lead none experienced US GI's across Europe through the Battle of the Bulge. Napoleon speaks for him self we all know his story. Friedrick the Great lead Prussia to many victories during the 7 years war. Col. Aldemar and Lt. Dan where just jokes...So why does it matter if I'm American or not. These people where some of the greatest military masterminds so gg. 

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:24 pm »
No respect for Saladin...
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »
Read my comment on Alexander (terrible at the politics, won a few battles succeeding to an Empire, messing up India and Macedonian inheritance), Patton is over glorified in the USA (he did some good stuff but nothing compared to Rommel, Montgomery, and Khrushchev), Washington too (unconventional is not good generalship, if so then General Giap should be here), Wellington and Bluscher were good generals but far from the greatest, especially with Napoleon at the time. Considering the French lost Waterloo because, firstly the stalemate at quatre bras, secondly letting Bluscher go after Ligny, thirdly superior British infantry on Mt St. Jean, fourthly Neys cavalry charge, and finally being outnumbered and attacked by two armies. Caeser over glorified himself, outmatched by both Marcellus and Hannibal if you compare Roman/opposing generals (read previous comments; De Bello Galico) Rommel was good, but just as good as Montgomery who beat him in Africa. It is just those above I disagree with (with the possible exception of Rommel). GG. And if we mention Frederick then why not Wolfe?

They were all indisputably good but we are talking THE greatest.

The America thing was about Patton and Lt Dan, perhaps I should have spaced that a bit more from the part about over glorified names.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:59:34 pm by Skipper »
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 01:54:36 am »
Read my comment on Alexander (terrible at the politics, won a few battles succeeding to an Empire, messing up India and Macedonian inheritance), Patton is over glorified in the USA (he did some good stuff but nothing compared to Rommel, Montgomery, and Khrushchev), Washington too (unconventional is not good generalship, if so then General Giap should be here), Wellington and Bluscher were good generals but far from the greatest, especially with Napoleon at the time. Considering the French lost Waterloo because, firstly the stalemate at quatre bras, secondly letting Bluscher go after Ligny, thirdly superior British infantry on Mt St. Jean, fourthly Neys cavalry charge, and finally being outnumbered and attacked by two armies. Caeser over glorified himself, outmatched by both Marcellus and Hannibal if you compare Roman/opposing generals (read previous comments; De Bello Galico) Rommel was good, but just as good as Montgomery who beat him in Africa. It is just those above I disagree with (with the possible exception of Rommel). GG. And if we mention Frederick then why not Wolfe?

They were all indisputably good but we are talking THE greatest.

The America thing was about Patton and Lt Dan, perhaps I should have spaced that a bit more from the part about over glorified names.

Alexander) Its General not Politician nor Ruler. But General.
Patton) I would imagine he would be liked by British and French due to him and Montgomery just spearheading the German defenses and liberating.
Rommel) ?
Who the hell is Wolfe
I said many more i.e Hannibal.
and Lt Dan was a fictional person from the movie Forrest Gump :3

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 02:11:36 am »
Patton's liked the bum rush tactic.

He was a crazy mofo
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:08 am »
Did I just see people blaming Ney for the failure at Waterloo again? Uuuuuugh...

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2014, 02:18:22 am »
Well that cav charge wasn't wise, you have to admit that.

Napoleon should have brought Davout and left Grouchy in fckin Paris.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:01 am »
He was nothing. He never faced a real general like Richard the Lionheart. If Richard didn't leave the Third Crusade to protect his throne in England I think the Crusades could of driven Saladin back.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 02:31:29 am »
He was nothing. He never faced a real general like Richard the Lionheart. If Richard didn't leave the Third Crusade to protect his throne in England I think the Crusades could of driven Saladin back.
So to rephrase that, you have no idea what you're talking about?

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2014, 02:35:32 am »
So to rephrase that, you have no idea what you're talking about?
same here

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 02:38:09 am »
Saladin did fight Richard I at the battle of Arsuf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arsuf

Albeit he was defeated, but that doesn't mean he was a bad general.

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:34 am »
Saladin did fight Richard I at the battle of Arsuf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arsuf

Albeit he was defeated, but that doesn't mean he was a bad general.
yea see you in 10. Saladin didn't just lose he got his rear end kicked. Look at those statistics. Either or 1-0 Lionheart was 100% Successful against Saladin.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:53 am »
You seem to have a rather poor understanding of history.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 02:57:37 am »
Trying to wonder if he's trolling or genuinely unaware...

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 03:11:00 am »
You seem to have a rather poor understanding of history.
lol k? He was beat twice actually... Siege of Acre and Battle of Arsuf. I'm not saying Saladin was a terrible general. I think that Lionheart was the better General. So lets stop and continue to another topic. We all have different opinions. So reLAX.