Author Topic: The Falklands War  (Read 13333 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Falklands War
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:13 pm »
All I was simply stating was that for people to be 100% ignorant and not know the difference between the countries inside of the UK, and England; or for someone to mistake us all as English is simply not good enough in my opinion.

Well tough luck. People will make the mistake, and they will forever keep making that mistake, and they will not care whether you river-dance around in a kilt with a sheep, if they thing you're English, they'll call you English. People try to learn the difference, but being a nation with four different countries plus two geographic names confuses people.

it seems that since you said nation, not country, that it was actually correct. Furthermore, it could be argued that the naming of your nation is more complex than the naming of the UK and the countries inside it.

I did say nation, and had you said 'Kingdom of the Netherlands', you'd be absolutely 100% right. But you didn't. You can argue as much as you want, point is that

it's not really that complicated if people actually take the time to know the difference.

Shall we leave it at that?

Offline [91st] Official

• Major
    • View Profile
    • 91st Regiment of Foot - Argyllshire Highlanders
The Falklands War
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:38 am »
Spoiler
All I was simply stating was that for people to be 100% ignorant and not know the difference between the countries inside of the UK, and England; or for someone to mistake us all as English is simply not good enough in my opinion.

Well tough luck. People will make the mistake, and they will forever keep making that mistake, and they will not care whether you river-dance around in a kilt with a sheep, if they thing you're English, they'll call you English. People try to learn the difference, but being a nation with four different countries plus two geographic names confuses people.

it seems that since you said nation, not country, that it was actually correct. Furthermore, it could be argued that the naming of your nation is more complex than the naming of the UK and the countries inside it.

I did say nation, and had you said 'Kingdom of the Netherlands', you'd be absolutely 100% right. But you didn't. You can argue as much as you want, point is that

it's not really that complicated if people actually take the time to know the difference.

Shall we leave it at that?
[close]

You're right, people will forever keep making the mistakes. Oh, and since you made some distasteful comments, I may say that you're a typical arrogant Dutch. Also, river dancing is of Irish origin; the sheep stereotype is more of a Welsh one.

Seems like you need to:

take the time to know the difference.

Or don't; hell if I care.

I'm going to bed now, so you won't get a response from me if you reply until tomorrow.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2014, 12:08:07 am »
Slightly more on-topic, I think it is terrible ignorant of people not to be able to name all 83 federal subjects of the Russian Federation, imagine how incredible hurt all those Muscovites will be.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:38 am »

You're right, people will forever keep making the mistakes. Oh, and since you made some distasteful comments, I may say that you're a typical arrogant Dutch. Also, river dancing is of Irish origin; the sheep stereotype is more of a Welsh one.

I know. I didn't know whether you were Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, so I took the three of them as a clear sign of not-being-English.

And yes, I'm a typical arrogant Dutchman. Honesty and telling people things to their faces directly is considered proper in my culture. It's slowly fading away due to Americanization, but not if it's up to me.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:02 pm »

I know. I didn't know whether you were Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, so I took the three of them as a clear sign of not-being-English.

And yes, I'm a typical arrogant Dutchman. Honesty and telling people things to their faces directly is considered proper in my culture. It's slowly fading away due to Americanization, but not if it's up to me.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfzRO5Eidqs[/youtube]