Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 56669 times)

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Hearthstone
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »
I assume by 'Free solo(s)' you mean Practices and Dungeons. Already doing that, been trying Kobolds & Catacombs a lot but since you get a starting decks with basic cards you can't change nor choose, it really goes down to how well you use your cards but also what sort of bonuses you get from loot.

I am on my 10th Dungeon's run and I can't get past the 6th boss, no matter what I do - and this while drawing good cards. Might try some Experts Practices as this gets a bit frustrating!

Also thanks for the advice Audiate, not sure I will be able to do everything you told me but atleast I have a better idea.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:36 am »
Practices are just practices, try to do what solo adventure content is available. I THINK the first thing for One Night in Karazhan is free and I'm PRETTY sure Knights of the Frozen Throne is all free.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »
Yeah fair enough. I just finished all the practices anyways, defeated all classes in Normal and Expert and received the rewards coming with it. So I am going to focus on Free Adventures mainly. So far I have access to three different ones:

Kobolds & Katacombs - That's the only I have tried so far. Today I managed to get to the 7th Boss, leaving him to 17HP before he eventually finishes me off. Would like to try and finish it with the Mage before I eventually get to the other adventures.

When it comes to the The Frozen Throne, I have access to 'Icecrow' and for Karazhan, the 'Normal' mod only. Should I start them?

Also would you advice sparing my golds (Got 800g so far) or use them to buy cheap packs at the shop straight away?

@Oatmeal.

Can't thank you enough for the link you gave me, so useful for a new player like me and I am really enjoying the basic mage deck the website is suggesting. Will probably check it more when I start playing other classes.

@Audiate

Listened to your advice, played a few Casuals for fun but focusing on Ranked mainly now, I am on 3 victory out of the 5 required so far.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:14 pm »
Yes, do the free mission available for Karazhan and go through Icecrown, which is all free. Whether you want to start getting Classic packs or save for the next expansion is up to you. Kobolds and Catacombs' single player content is more just for fun, it's nice to play but won't reward you with stuff, I'm pretty sure.

Keep in mind: Classic cards GENERALLY stay available forever, they'll always be usable in Standard, except for a few select ones chosen to go to Wild (the format where all cards are playable, not just the newest) every year or so in order to keep Standard more fresh. For the cards that get rotated to Wild that you happen to collect, you'll be able to disenchant them for their full value when the time comes, so there's no real downside to "investing" into Classic. There's also a major expansion coming out very soon, you might want to save up for that, but what you should keep some gold aside for right now is Arena. I'm not a huge fan of the gamemode personally, but Arena will let you draft cards for a deck, do as well as you can with it against similar decks, and then get rewards based on how well you do. If you go 0-3, you'll at least receive a card pack, but as you learn and improve in the game you should begin to do better and receive more rewards. Also, every week there's a Tavern Brawl, which is just a different way to play the game, and if you win one game of it you'll get a free card pack, so it's worth doing (I think the new one starts every Wednesday and ends around Monday).

Protip: There's a hidden "pity counter" for legendaries when opening packs. The more packs you open of a specific type in a row, the higher chance you'll get to open a legendary. It basically forces a Legendary 99% of the time after 40 packs of the same type. So in other words, if you have 5 Classic packs, 2 K&C packs, and 1 Un'Goro pack, open your Classic packs first, and if you get no legendaries, just wait on opening the other packs until you get more Classic packs. If you open a K&C or Un'Goro pack, you'll reset the pity timer, and will technically be less likely to open a legendary from a pack.

I think that's all the advice I can give. Best of luck!

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
Read everything, thanks again for all those precious advices. Hopefully it will grant me a better start than what I would normally have and keep me interested in the game even more!

Oatmeal

« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2018, 09:02:21 pm »
If you want to build your collection/coins/dust up I strongly recommend arena. However, arena skill imo is card/game knowledge so maybe move onto that once you have a better understanding of the game. If you do choose to play arena or are given a free run use the overwolf arena app, very helpful!

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 10, 2018, 01:08:01 am »
Tried the free run in the Arena mod, just to see what it was. Clearly I will need a better understanding from the cards to figure it out and win some.

I am ranked 22 so far, with a 3 win streaks but I suppose that does not mean much as you cannot de-rank yet, so it goes down to just spamming games and you will eventually win some. Losing clearly more games than I win yet I have a feeling of slightly improving and that games as that fantastic opportunity coming with each card games to simply blame your defeat on 'luck'.  ::)

Also finished my first dungeon, finally! Only took me a fucking 121 boss to defeat. Still a bit disappointed you don't get a single reward for clearling a whole dungeaon with one class.

Spoiler
[close]

Also tried the Prologue of Icecrown, the second adventures available for free, absolutely loving it. Forgot how WoW universe was so damn interesting.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:25:02 am by Tardet »

Offline Keita

• Major General
  • deco, mezzala, regista, guiniesta, picolas nepe
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:00 am »
sooner or later hearthstone will take ur money
balenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balenci

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #488 on: March 10, 2018, 02:02:51 am »
sooner rather than later
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 10, 2018, 06:49:16 am »
hey dan, how do you feel about coldlight oracle being rotated?

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #490 on: March 10, 2018, 07:07:45 am »
hey dan, how do you feel about coldlight oracle being rotated?
there's still exodia
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 10, 2018, 09:43:14 pm »
I've been playing Reno Exodia in Wild and it's way better than it should be.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:34 pm »
sooner rather than later

Was indeed sooner rather than later, even though I actually didn't spend any money - and don't plan to. That being said, slowly but surely I am starting to feel the limitation in playing with what the game gives you for free.

When it comes to ranked games, it indeed brings you experience but I am starting to know the basic Mage deck by heart and it still doesn't give me enough of a signifant advantage towards opponents of arguably the same rank. I am Level 36 and I can't go higher than Rank 19, no matter what I do or which tactics I try. Maybe that's is just me being wrong and I simply need to play more to go further into the rankings, I suppose future will tell. And even if I feel like I can't go further, atleast I have other classes to try out.

But even with the Adventure Contents, it's really hard to go anywhere. The Frozen's Throne first boss, right after the Prologue, is extremly hard to beat (not to mention impossible) if you don't have special cards which can help you stealing some from him. I will try it later on with other classes but there is no way I can get anywhere near with the basic mage deck. And Karazhan's aventure is to be unlocked with golds if you want to go further than the Prologue, which means I am fucked either way.

I feel like I have been complaining a lot and been stating the obvious quite a lot right here. Don't want to give the impression I am not enjoying the game, because I truly do, it is really addictive and honestly I love the universe but its rough for beginners who have no intention to invest money into it. I will probably try out other classes and get them as high as I can, keep my golds to unlock Adventure contents and maybe buy a few decks or try my luck in the arena if I have still some left, that's still good enough to me, atleast for now.

I also still have to discover what's the 'wild' mod and how you access it, if you can aquire arcane dust by other way but disenchanting cards and many other things but the website Oatmel gave me + the Hearstone Wikia should be enough to anwser these. 

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 12, 2018, 08:48:14 pm »
I understand where you're coming from, and though it won't fix your problems, keep in mind that the next expansion that comes out will force three older expansions to rotate to Wild, meaning you'll need considerably less to do well. From here on I'd probably save your gold for either future Arena runs when you better know the game (a future update is going to make the draft give you options based on their power levels rather than rarity which should make drafting both easier and sort of more balanced), or packs of the next expansion.

A big part of playing F2P is knowing when you stop buying packs and start saving for the next expansions. Every set tends to have a few cards you really kind of need.

I actually didn't realize, but the new expansion was announced! As people had guessed, it's a spooky forest set.

https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/4439-the-witchwood-is-hearthstones-next-expansion

Apparently they're already making new hero cards??? Could be super interesting, I just didn't anticipate that happening so soon. The Odds/Evens design is something people thought about for a while but I'm shocked it's actually happening because of the ramifications of taking away tempo and curve from your deck is a terrible downside. Interesting about Genn Greymane finally getting in, but it's odd that he's been added just as Raza rotates, and in Wild, the two cards don't work together to get your Hero Power to (0). I'm more excited about Baku because Justicar Trueheart was one of my favorite cards as a big fan of Control/Fatigue Warrior, but giving up Executes, Slams, the 4-cost weapons, Dirty Rats, Sylvanas, N'Zoth, etc. seems real rough. I'd just play Trueheart instead. Azalina Soulthief just seems like a gimmick card to me. I'm most excited though about Rush and Echo, particularly Echo, because it could potentially fill the void for decks running Baku or Genn, especially if there's an OP 1-cost or OP 2-cost Echo card. Quest Warrior should be pretty interesting this set.

Actually, clarification, Hagatha is apparently going to be the only Hero card in the set, which is SUPER interesting, and I'm kind of interested in their design choice with that. Could this mean that legendary Weapons and Heroes will appear in sets to come independent of other stuff, and that KotFT and K&C were just to get everyone familiar with them? That's a move braver than what I would have expected of Blizzard, so that's actually pretty reassuring.

Also, every class is getting two legendaries, but not necessarily heroes--could mean new weapons, multiple legendary creatures, but it sounds interesting for sure. The pre-purchase deal is also interesting this time around, it's 70 packs for the price of 50, which I think is the best deal they've done so far. Pretty interesting to see this change.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:20:08 am by Audiate »

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »
Draw is bad, hand is sucky, always second, never lucky