Author Topic: For the melee community.  (Read 14404 times)

Offline Marsh

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: For the melee community.
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:23 am »
My ping is consistent Over 120 so that must be the problem

Offline Slick

• Donator
  • dam im long than a mf
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »
Christ man, find a server with at the most 100. The difference between your ping, and a normal ping (20-80) is seriously drastic.

Offline Marsh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »
Christ man, find a server with at the most 100. The difference between your ping, and a normal ping (20-80) is seriously drastic.

I know, its got nothing to do with the server, its my ISP. My areas server from the ISP is having issues and it won't be fixed until 3rd January.  >:(

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »
Jesus H Christ i can't belive people are complaining now about people using melee alot. God what is the world turning to?

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 06:23:34 pm »
Jesus H Christ i can't belive people are complaining now about people using melee alot. God what is the world turning to?
It's mainly about groupfighting, where there is no shooting at all. I don't think anyone was talking about those nubs on public, that you can just run through.

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »
Well, if you're interested in melee only, playing NW is quite bad idea. Average skill levels in NW compared to native are low and dueling community doesn't exist. Also, dueling with weapons which have 2 identical attack directions is quite dull and boring.
Native is better choice for melee (better overall balance of weapons and more skilled people) although native dueling has been competition of who can glitch the animations more for quite some time, trend which we can see taking hold in NW with easy-to-glitch overhead stab animation.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 05:18:29 pm »
I would disagree with the impression your statement is giving Oposum. I am surprised how much trouble a lot of the best Native duellists have with an awlpike in the right hands. Even the so called 'best' and 'tournament winners' fall to it, shocking really. Sure we have a low skill tail that reside are pubbers on the Official Servers, but there is also a high tail in the melee community, all players who I'm sure are competent and competitive on the Native side as well.

Also regarding Groupfighting, the variety in melee is quite stunted at the moment with chambers and sweeps being so challenging to pull off, but they are possible to achieve if 'forced' to work, and I mean, if the player puts an enourmous concentration on his footwork and positioning. Particularly with sweep stabs it's really workable, but you also need the right mouse. Up till recently I was on a rather cheap but heavy wireless mouse, but the weight actually made my stabs very precise and very much put the 'sensitivity' control in my right hand. Instead of having to adjust a slider, the mouse would weigh enough to give me resistance in light movements and also to be able to move in fast jerky ways. This meant that I could have the game's sensitivity slider at a really high level without suffering the effects of uncontrollable spin, but also being able to take advantage of that spin with a more vigorous arm movement, a perfect balance of precision and speed. The result was getting 30 kills per map out of simply sweeping stabs. I'm not going to go into the detail of body positioning necessary for that, but I'm trying to allude to the fact that it is really possible to achieve old things with the new melee if you think really deeply about it. Shame that mouse died, but I have ordered a more high-end mouse to test whether I can recreate it with the customisability you get with 100£ mice.

The suggestion from Oposum that I am intrigued by is an athletics increase. Though I've always called for an increase in turning speed I've somewhat change my stance on it, mainly due to the realisation that the upstab would become overpowered once again, with players adopting horrific, unstoppable playstyles of dolphin-spam-helicopter. The motive behind it was to give a bit more agility to a player in a 1 vs many situation and to also increase damage and ease of chambering and sweeping, but perhaps an increase of athletics is a better idea? If it actually does increase overall speed slightly for all parties, along with damage, then I am all for a slight athletics increase. If it reduces pokes/stubs then I'm sure most of the community would be behind it. If said effects are true then I wouldn't want to limit that athletics increase to just bayonet wielding units, but also cavalry units and other sword-wielding units, as sword duels and cavarly fights are still an incredibly cumbersome experience. Would be good to have a stat expert comfirm what athletics specifically does.

Also I really do agree with pointblanking being a problem. However, perhaps instead of 'extra/random delay' suggestions we have a reticle that takes longer to close? I'm thinking it would initially close fast, but then get exponentially slower as it nears it's full accuracy level. This does put skill in the hands of the player more than a random delay and doesn't really touch linebattle gameplay much. I'm still pondering how to go about this, so would be good to hear more ideas regarding pointblanking prevention.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:29:43 pm by Evanovic »
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:05 pm »
My point about bayo melee being dull is due to the fact you have 2 almost identical attacks - downstab being slightly faster, upstab being more easily glitched (up to the point where it's almost impossible to see difference between down and up stab). Compared to swords 4 attack directions, which all are quite different, 2 identical ones fall short.

I wasn't saying that you cannot find decent player in NW, there are lots of good ones, but that lots of great players left NW due to the fact that it was unplayable until last patch. Now it's playable but it still needs some fine tuning to achieve it's potential.

Reticules closing in slower wouldn't stop pointblanking, it would just make people aim at you longer or pointblank you anyway, since that even with pistol-like accuracy it's hard to miss someone from, well, point blank range.

About athletics increase, we all know that pointblanking started being hell lot more effective in NW than it was in MM. Since weapons still have the same accuracy it's pretty obvious that either turning speed nerf or athletics nerf is responsible for it.
It seems that turning speed will remain the same (with it the same seemingly random bayo damage and bounces) so all we can hope for is athletics increase which could get back players.

Offline Devald

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [88th]Kgm_Devald or FFE_Devald
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:14 am »
I agree with Evanovic in the point-blanking suggestion.. It would give players that arent that familiar with the game a better chance to know when to shoot..
Private of the 88th "Devils Own" Connaught Rangers - Member of the Friends Federation of Excellence (FFE) - Proud dane

Offline Vanguard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14pk_Kpr_Vanguard
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:02 pm »
I know there is a discussion about bayonets,but lemme introduce something about Hussars overall
Their sabre is just...I dont know.Without speed its pretty decent and normal,just like the rest,but if you can speed up and stab someone [STAB] on horseback,he magically dies from one hit
Thats not only a stab,generally hussard sword is magical,sometimes can one-hit a carabinier officer [Carabinier cav has the best armor AFAIK]
Lance is OK,only problem is it's speed.
Its too fast,you can make a long-range fast attack.
I often,as cuirassier,block the first lance,then im going to swing at the lancer but NO.I get a lance to the face [lol],just because its too fast.
As for bayonets:Its quite boring,there are 2 attacks which are pretty much the same,chambers and "penguin like" [upper stab,moving the camera up  and releasing it on the enemy] attacks add more variety.
I was thinking of one thing:Side attacks for bayonets; It would be a stun hit with butt of the rifle.I know it sounds weird,but i think that would be better than 2 boring like hell attacks.

Offline Devald

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [88th]Kgm_Devald or FFE_Devald
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
2 additional attacks with the bayonet is definetly not the solution. In my opinion the bayonet is really hard-hitting, and that is the thing that gives them the advantage. So if you add 2 additional attacks you will probably also have to decrease either the attack speed or the damage. If you decrease the attack speed you would make a already fairly easy weapon to block even easier and making it a some what useless weapon. Unless you glitch it of course. And if you decrease the damage then the weapon once again will be rather useless.
Private of the 88th "Devils Own" Connaught Rangers - Member of the Friends Federation of Excellence (FFE) - Proud dane

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »
I know there is a discussion about bayonets,but lemme introduce something about Hussars overall
Their sabre is just...I dont know.Without speed its pretty decent and normal,just like the rest,but if you can speed up and stab someone [STAB] on horseback,he magically dies from one hit
Thats not only a stab,generally hussard sword is magical,sometimes can one-hit a carabinier officer [Carabinier cav has the best armor AFAIK]
Lance is OK,only problem is it's speed.
Its too fast,you can make a long-range fast attack.
I often,as cuirassier,block the first lance,then im going to swing at the lancer but NO.I get a lance to the face [lol],just because its too fast.
As for bayonets:Its quite boring,there are 2 attacks which are pretty much the same,chambers and "penguin like" [upper stab,moving the camera up  and releasing it on the enemy] attacks add more variety.
I was thinking of one thing:Side attacks for bayonets; It would be a stun hit with butt of the rifle.I know it sounds weird,but i think that would be better than 2 boring like hell attacks.

Your attacking WAAAYYYYYY too slowly you must have atleast 2-3 second reaction times to get stabbing by a lance after blocking it, or you allowed the lancer to get away ... i'm sorry but the average reaction time for a human being is atleast 0.2-0.3 seconds for things you see.

Bayonetes and swords strike at similar speeds and there is no-way a lance outstabs either of these on speeds. It will only outstab on range and manouvering.

Offline Ledger

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Self-proclaimed selfish super-spreader.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 91st_Lt_James_Munro
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 09:15:03 am »
Spammers ain't a problem. Just block - counterattack him or chamber and counterattack. That's how i deal with them, fast and easy !

Offline Russo

• Private
  • Walkos Husband
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pubmeister
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »
Spammers arent really that much of a problem in my opinion

Offline Hunter

• Private
    • View Profile