Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 313757 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #571 on: May 02, 2013, 01:30:12 am »
That article about Walts is quite intresting indeed. I even think I know what Major of Rifles he's talking about. CHUMNEEEEY!

I had some thought on the matter when I joined Boreel, because that regiment's traditiona are still being carried on, even though the regiment itself seized to exist a year back. But it wasn't going to keep me back from doing it.

But I don't consider myself, in any way, a soldier. I'd be the worst one imagineable.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #572 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:04 am »
I already read the second link and had a extensive discussion about that. Yes. They should. If anyone's offended, FUCK THEM. Learning about history is paramount. The good and the bad.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #573 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:51 am »
Still, it is totally fine for me to wear Wehrmacht Uniforms, but do I really have to wear SS Uniforms? Do I have to reenact that part of the German population that is responsible for most of the crimes?
Reenacting is, in my opinion, also keeping the guys in honor that really were soldiers back then. I don't think that I want to keep the SS in honor. No. That is stupid. I am fine with everything, but I do not need to reenact as SS. No one is reenacting Hitler aswell, right? At least I have never heard of anyone reenacting Hitler. That would be plain stupid.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 03, 2013, 04:34:35 am »
SS no , Waffen SS all fine :)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:26 am »
zac, are you dead and only 7 years old?

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:31 am »

A filing clerk behind a desk in Berlin wearing Steingrau has a better chance of getting through WW2 with clean hands than a conscripted Volksdeutsche with runes on his m43 riding on an eastbound Orel.

But for some reason when you turn up to a reenactment dressed like a faceless drone in a massive state bureaucracy, ready to fill out mountains of paperwork for fun, people think you're nuts.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:24:05 am by Bluehawk »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
my group at ironfest

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »

A filing clerk behind a desk in Berlin wearing Steingrau has a better chance of getting through WW2 with clean hands than a conscripted Volksdeutsche with runes on his m43 riding on an eastbound Orel.

But for some reason when you turn up to a reenactment dressed like a faceless drone in a massive state bureaucracy, ready to fill out mountains of paperwork for fun, people think you're nuts.

He, we have people doing MP and Custom service - Yet they always find a way to enter the battle as some sort of elite guys.

Edit:That reminds me, does the ACW community have something like Provosts/MP's?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:05:36 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 03, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »
It does.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »
It does.

It would be nice if you could give some additional info...you know...  :P

A small update on my Hussar Impression:

I'm going to collect some patterns next weeks, and a member of En Vedette (the cavalry group) will buy me my leather asap. The fabric for the clothing I will order presumably later this month.

The leather gear is also in 'pre-order', and even horse gear is going faster then anticipated. The waltrap is in the making, and I even may already getting the proper saddle.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 03, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »
Still, it is totally fine for me to wear Wehrmacht Uniforms, but do I really have to wear SS Uniforms? Do I have to reenact that part of the German population that is responsible for most of the crimes?
Reenacting is, in my opinion, also keeping the guys in honor that really were soldiers back then. I don't think that I want to keep the SS in honor. No. That is stupid. I am fine with everything, but I do not need to reenact as SS. No one is reenacting Hitler aswell, right? At least I have never heard of anyone reenacting Hitler. That would be plain stupid.
At Detling 2 years ago there was someone dressed as hitler and look very much like him

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #582 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:39 pm »

I lol'd. :D

Waffen SS did fight and there were war crimes committed by them. A lot of stories I read were of how either they were invaluable tools on the battlefield and/or complete dicks. Mostly dicks.

But there was the same fervor for why someone would join the SS as to why someone would want to join the USMC. They were considered the best and there are those who want to fight with the best.

At the same time, most foreign volunteer divisions were designated as SS. So when you get a bunch of Ukrainian SS roaming about in Russia, I would not be surprised in the lightest if they were to flat out not take prisoners or kill locals who were working with the Russians. It was one of the means to an end actions taken by the OKW because of the need for manpower.

Should they be reenacted? Thugs who shared uniforms with nationalistic youths? I think, most definitely. I'm one of those Heer reenactors who thinks Heer is not done enough, but I'm not out for eradicating the SS units because you have guys who want the cool camo, uniforms, and toys.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 03, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
Guys. Explain pls.

How do you die, what do you do when you die?
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »
You drop, screaming and wait for your line to move, to get up again.

Or you crawl back holding onto your musket. Which is pretty fun to do, and the audience loves it.