Author Topic: Old war pictures, need more info  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
Old war pictures, need more info
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
Hey Guys.

Recently earlier this month my grandfather had a stroke, and he probably will not live for very long, he served in the Pacific during WWII, and honestly I have not really gave much interest into what he did, he lives all the way in Georgia and I never really bonded with him.. He had my father at around age 40. and is pretty damn old lol, Anyways, I am scanning a crap load of photos since now I am literally the only one in my huge ass family that gets some of his old war junk, a lot of pictures/albums, but I wanted to know some more information as im not familiar at all with the sort of gear/weapons they used, he was a rifleman in I believe the 37th infantry, served in solomon islands and peliliu.  Considering a LOAD of you are history buffs/military buffs and stuff, thought I'd share it with you and let you give your opinion.

Anyways ill post the first picture I scanned, obviously I apologize for the quality.. but my grandfather is the one in the middle with that rifle, and the 2 guys he is with I am pretty sure were some of his good friends, pretty sure both died.  My question is if anyone knows the actual model of that rifle he is carrying, and can anyone guess what that structure is behind him? I would ask him myself, but he hardly remembers and found this photo in an old newspaper from the 1950s of him.  Again any info would be useful, I just wanted to document everything I find on him, and share it, because I am the only one who is taking initiative about it.

Spoiler
[close]

Can anyone tell me more details about this picture? Just scanned it, was also in the album
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:30:36 pm by Karth »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Old war pictures, need more info
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »
I am no expert, but the rifle looks a bit like an M1 Garand, and the structure behind it, the lines on which could be concrete, if it is, a bunker, perhaps?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:42 pm »
Gonna have to agree with Riddlez here, on both counts. The former I am 100% sure of, the latter not as much, given the quality.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:00:55 pm »
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Wow, way-to-go Boberton. That's almost word-for-word what I was about to post. :P
So yes, I agree with them. Though the structure could perhaps be part of a wood house. I'm not sure.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
That could possibly be from Peleliu, the Airfield there was the scene of much action and several of the buildings were made out of solid concrete, along with several bunkers on the island.
Spoiler
[close]

That is probably the most likely, since you said he only served in the Solomons and Peleliu. In the Solomons, Guadalcanal for example, the USMC didn't have M1s (the weapon he is holding), they were stuck with springfield 1903 rifles. Also, what makes me suspect it isn't the Solomons is that the Japs didn't have any concrete bunkers there, since they were just taken by the Japs in early '42, thus they didn't have time to build any, unlike Peleliu.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:46:39 pm »
the USMC didn't have M1s

Though I know you aren't saying it, but the 37th isn't a marine corps, it's a national guard division.
And if it was really the 37th, it was the solomons, the 37th was in the Northern Solomon campaign.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:30 pm »
That is probably the most likely, since you said he only served in the Solomons and Peleliu. In the Solomons, Guadalcanal for example, the USMC didn't have M1s (the weapon he is holding), they were stuck with springfield 1903 rifles. Also, what makes me suspect it isn't the Solomons is that the Japs didn't have any concrete bunkers there, since they were just taken by the Japs in early '42, thus they didn't have time to build any, unlike Peleliu.

There was fighting in the Solomons right up until the end of the war.

Hell, the USS Bougainville was launched before the campaign it was named for was over.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:42:37 pm »

There was fighting in the Solomons right up until the end of the war.

Hell, the USS Bougainville was launched before the campaign it was named for was over.

Yeah, i know they fought there, like at Rabaul during that time, but most major combat was over by '43. Anyhow it was just a guess, and also i didn't read he was in a Army unit, whenever i hear Pacific campagin i assume it's marines  :-\

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Karth

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
Good points, I thought it was an M1 garand at first.. but obviously just from playing video games with them and stuff so I just guessed.  AND, he did serve with the Ohio 37th National Guard regiment you were talking about (long story about how he joined that while being a PA native lol), but he also was deployed to Peleliu with I think the 81st, as he was not severely injured after Guadalcanal and the 81st needed more men to relieve the marines on that other island.  After that he was reunited with his original unit and sent home.  They probably dont talk about it, but they did send many men from different regiments and outfits throughout the Pacific.

Yeah, i know they fought there, like at Rabaul during that time, but most major combat was over by '43. Anyhow it was just a guess, and also i didn't read he was in a Army unit, whenever i hear Pacific campagin i assume it's marines  :-\
Yea. Thats what a lot of people think, but the Marines were the first to hit Peleliu and most highlighted, the marines had to be relieved after suffering too many losses and the army was sent in, suffered thousands of casualties and fought to take the rest of the island and secure the airstrip.  My grandfather I am pretty sure got his purple heart after that battle (he still has it).  This sort of strategy was seen on almost every island, marines would hit first but not take the whole island as they had to keep moving (with Okinawa a lot of army units were already engaged so the Marines literally fought for the longest time there I believe), and the army divisions would go in and actually clear every island and secure it.

Again, in regards to weapons, I have NO clue what he used in the solomons, and what he used on Peleliu, after he got home he had to return it to the army. 

I will scan and post more stuff later, you guys been damn helpful so far, again its Veterans Day so I wanted to really spend time and research this stuff.

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »
What rank and what company?

*edit* what was his mos and or was he west coast or east? by the way the rifle almost looks to be a springfield because of the time period of the soloman islands
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:45:18 pm by Commissar Jdf »

Offline Crusader

• First Lieutenant
  • EU Senior Admin of NW, Saturday Linebattle Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 52nd_King_Adminborn_Crusader
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »
Dunno about concrete to me it looks more like wooden planks.

Especially on the left dunno just me
I hereby present Crusader with the Blobdominican medal for Bravery above and beyond the call of duty in his role as AdminBorn of the FSE servers. We have also arranged some lovely flowers & a kitten to commemorate the occasion.
Thanks Crusader for all of your work in the community!
[/quote]

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »
There is no doubt in my mind that it's a Garand. Remember, the Army (And by extension the National Guard, which the 37th Infantry was) got the new equipment first, so many divisions would have had the rifles even as the war broke out.

If you don't believe me, look closely near the muzzle of the weapon. '03s don't have gas tubes.

Dunno about concrete to me it looks more like wooden planks.

Especially on the left dunno just me

I see what you mean there. It may just be a collapsed house, where the photographer thought he'd be able to get a good picture.

What rank and what company?

*edit* what was his mos and or was he west coast or east? by the way the rifle almost looks to be a springfield because of the time period of the soloman islands

This has nothing to do with the Marine Corps. He was an Ohio National Guardsman, if Karth is correct about the Division he was in. And once more, there was fighting in the Solomon Islands up until 1945, and 'major' fighting until '44, during the Bougainville Campaign.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:09:36 am »
That's a concrete bunker. You can see the battle damage as well. They used to build concrete structures shaping the concrete with wooden planks and boards which gives it a bit of a wooden house look. Basically you'd pour the concrete inside and take apart the wooden housing and you had a good ol' solid concrete wall.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Karth

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »
Thanks for the information guys, just scanned another photo, can anyone tell me what they think this was?

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:10 pm »
Thanks for the information guys, just scanned another photo, can anyone tell me what they think this was?

Spoiler
[close]

Those are the landing boats used for setting troops on land. They became notorious in the war after D-Day, because if the enemy had machine guns, or even just 3 men with rifles, it was way too easy to kill an entire boatload, which I thinkg held about two squads.