Weapon?

Sword!
84 (24.9%)
Musket!
174 (51.6%)
Pike!
79 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 334

Author Topic: The Century of War (Serverfiles are available)  (Read 199738 times)

Offline KArantukki

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Chaotic Evil
    • View Profile
  • Nick: KArantukki
  • Side: Union
Re: [NW|M] The Century of War (NewTrailer/Screenshots on Pg.44)
« Reply #720 on: June 15, 2014, 01:32:02 am »
Here is the system we thought about, its easy, like a Rock-paper-scissors (lizard-Spock) system:

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:20 am »
Makes snese. The Pike And Shot food cycle.

Offline Parrot

• Donator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2014, 02:25:02 am »
Here is the system we thought about, its easy, like a Rock-paper-scissors (lizard-Spock) system:

#snip#
Makes snese. The Pike And Shot food cycle.

Yeah, what you're aiming for in balance there makes sense, however I think the event rules might have taken away from that. Splitting regiments into a couple of gunmen, a couple of pikes, and a few swords makes them loose their effectiveness. Thankfully, rules can be changed.
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2014, 03:18:42 am »
The food chain of the 17th century.   :-*

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2014, 03:19:52 am »
You forgot the part where everything beats artillery but artillery also beats everything (and to the same extent so do missile infantry)  ;D
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #725 on: June 15, 2014, 04:01:06 am »
How significant will artillery be, anyway?

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #726 on: June 15, 2014, 04:33:42 am »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:10 am »
Seems legit.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #728 on: June 15, 2014, 05:31:56 am »

Spoiler
[close]

I love that movie, so many outrageous scenes. The cavalry charge through the gate was great.

Offline Vander

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Nr12_Gefr_Rekthofen
« Reply #729 on: June 15, 2014, 11:05:32 am »
Upon request, I will post the 1erCrb/Adelsfana's screenshots of last night's event here as well!
Thanks again to KArantukki, Noel and the rest of the devs for this mod, we had a blast.

Spoiler
[close]
The Adelsfana, ready for battle. Excuse the random black guys, we found them in an old fish barrel.

Spoiler
[close]
Outnumbered four to one, we still stand to repel the Habsburg advance.

Spoiler
[close]
The ensuing round, we made sure to try out the Swedish light cavalry. Hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!

Spoiler
[close]
On the fourth round, we were to defend a river crossing against the Habsburg vanguard.

Spoiler
[close]
Sensing an opportunity, the Swedes were sent to cross and press the attack on the Habsburgers. "Gott mit uns, våran konung har talat; hör vårt stridsrop, GOTT MIT UNS!"
Unfortunately, the commander fell to a stray bullet. We're looking at you, Staines.

A gallery with the rest of our exploits can be found here! https://i.imgur.com/a/Vxiha

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #730 on: June 15, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »

Am I right in assuming that the bottom man with a gun is a dragoon and the left-hand one is a musketeer on foot?

I would also suggest allowing regiments to just do their own thing in terms of numbers of pikes to muskets, that may encourage more teamwork between the different groups as they will stick together to ensure the pikes aren't gunned down and the muskets aren't ridden down by cavalry.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 15, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »
The NW system of just having regiments do one thing (IE blocks of pikes, muskets and round shield men) would make more sense and be easier to balance.

I can't understand why that awkward system from that non NW Rome mod oozed over. It is needlessly confusing. I have fingers crossed you'll get an even bigger attendence in the next beta test.

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #732 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45:28 pm »
I suppose it came over, because large regiments like to do all of the roles themselves. I like the idea of one regiment being able to do Pike and Shot, but small groups can't.

Offline KArantukki

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Chaotic Evil
    • View Profile
  • Nick: KArantukki
« Reply #733 on: June 15, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »
Am I right in assuming that the bottom man with a gun is a dragoon and the left-hand one is a musketeer on foot?

The guy on the bottom is a rondartschier (round shield fighter), he stands for the special units like scottish swordsmen and the austrian rondartschier.

The NW system of just having regiments do one thing (IE blocks of pikes, muskets and round shield men) would make more sense and be easier to balance.

I can't understand why that awkward system from that non NW Rome mod oozed over. It is needlessly confusing. I have fingers crossed you'll get an even bigger attendence in the next beta test.

The idea doesnt come from the Rome mod, its from the Deluge where regiments can bring pikemen and musketeers, I can understand your point and of course we can test it in the next event, but historical the infantery got pikes and muskets in one formation. Yes, this Event wasnt very big, two regiments didnt come and I heard from many people they want to watch the Columbia vs. Costa Rica match. However i will invite some more regiments for the next time.

I just got an idea, smaller regiments like 15 men or less have to pick muskets OR pikes and bigger regiments can have both, musketeers and pikemen. And the specialunits like the swordsmen are seperated too.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:52:10 pm by KArantukki »

Offline Vander

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Nr12_Gefr_Rekthofen
« Reply #734 on: June 15, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »
I just got an idea, smaller regiments like 15 men or less have to pick muskets OR pikes and bigger regiments can have both, musketeers and pikemen. And the specialunits like the swordsmen are seperated too.
I strongly disagree with this. Considering the general member attendance of the beta's event, very few would be able to play as both. At the same time, my regiment enjoys playing both aspects, working together, and building the formations that, for example, are shown in the screenshots I supplied earlier.

However, giving some form of narration or purpose to each round might make things easier. Defend a building, capture the enemy regiment's banner, etc.