Author Topic: Weird Ping issues  (Read 6572 times)

Pergite

Weird Ping issues
« on: November 26, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
Hi, When I play on Official servers/some other EU servers my ping is at about 120. When in all other games it works fine, and its 120 at US servers aswell..so both EU and US I get the same ping even though im from Sweden. Any way to fix this? on native its fine but its only on NW this happens.

regards

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Weird Ping issues
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »
Yes, i've been having the same exact problem for over a month now and so have a couple others in my regiment.
I've heard that it was a problem specific to german servers, but don't quote me on that. A fix would be highly appreciated.

Edit: Woops topic already existed
Still, need a fix for this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:33:20 pm by Shortshorts »

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:12:54 pm »
(Perhaps) coincidentally, I have this problem a lot on US_1. Except that I always have a high ping (120 at least, when a month ago it was more like 80) with massive spikes now and then.

Though it might also be the wireless card on my craptop or the fact that my room is kinda far from the router. It might also be that my ISP hates me and is throttling or something. Gah.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.

Offline Deofuta

• Captain
  • 1stEPI_Fw_Deofuta
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:31:41 pm »
The US server was having severe issues the past couple days. However, with a patch from the providers I do believe it should be much better. I cannot say if the EU servers were similarly effected.

Offline Gragnok

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stEB_Col_Gragnok
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
I had a problem similar to this a while ago. I was getting 120+ pings on servers i normal had 20-40 ping on. Run a few trace routes and you may find that your connection to the servers is being routed through somewhere unusual. In my case my connection from London where i live to Frankfurt where the server is based was being routed through Washington DC.

I contacted my ISP about this and they said that there was nothing they could do to fix it and i just had to hope it went away.....and it did after about a week or so. Afraid this isn't pro-actively helpful for you but it is a potential explanation and if this is indeed your problem as well it will most likely sort itself out in a week or so.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Treble

• Sergeant Major
  • top kek melee player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Treble
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:49:20 am »
My ping was going crazy today, i think its just Sky though.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:59 am »
A common problem I have with ping is leaving things like BitTorrent open, If an application needs the internet to run, make sure it is closed when playing, unless you need it on. Usually BitTorrent won't affect you too badly, unless you are seeding.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:04:52 am »
Sometimes the server is on it's period lol

Offline JohnnyMaverik

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Pfc_JohnnyMaverik
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:58 pm »
Well I have the same problem, pops up every couple of weeks and goes away in a couple of hours to a couple of days. I'm not the only one, I know 5/6 others people in the 77y that get this problem regularly, including Aztir (our Col and head of the 77y). People think it's just random bad luck with their ISP's, having conflicting programmes or other people using the same connection in the house doing stuff, and it might be, but considering 3 of the people have the problem most often in the 77y, usually on the same days (not always though, which makes it even more confusing) live in the UK, Portugal and Norway, I doubt it's a problem with a specific ISP.

Also worth note is that I've done tons of different checks and if it is a problem with it conflicting with another programme running in the background I have no idea what that programme is since I've tried turning off everything possible while having the problem and it makes next to no difference.

I've also had the problem when I've been the only person in my house and presumably the only person using my connection (I have checked and I'm certainly the only visible person).

This is also a problem that only happens with M&B Warband (I also get bad ping on servers running different modules). I get 100% to 500% increases in usual latency across approximately 80% of the available servers (but some of the servers display no change and play just fine, even when they are populated) while on other games my ping is fine across all of the servers I usually play on (checked TF2, CS:Go and NS2) and this has only been something that's cropped up in the past 2/3 months, and has been getting increasingly more common in terms of frequency and the number of people it seems to effect.

So yea, it is a problem and it doesn't seem to be going away or as of yet have any known fixes or clear reasoning behind it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:31:08 pm by JohnnyMaverik »
Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Offline jesseownsyou

• Private
  • High quality servers: oasis-hosting.net
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Conner
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:43 am »
This problem also creates the 'Connection is lost to server issue' despite the rgl_config thingy.

I hope there will be soon a selution!
Looking for a affordable server host for Mount & Blade: Warband, Counter Strike or Team Fortress? Look no further!http://www.oasis-hosting.net

Offline JohnnyMaverik

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Pfc_JohnnyMaverik
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »
Well, it hasn't happened to me for quite some time now... fixed? Maybe I'm just lucky...
Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.