Author Topic: Hussars Cup EU (Started)  (Read 16674 times)

Offline Erik le Rouge

• Lieutenant General
  • Depardieu best dieu
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Cpt_Erik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Hussars Cup EU (Started)
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2018, 07:28:37 pm »
I like the single-elimination format, it always brings amazing tournaments. Everyone got into the league-system a bit too much imo, it's always great to have shorter, more intense competitions like this cup. Thanks again for it.

Disagreed here. First of all, what do you mean by "shorter and more intense", this competition surely took a while and had maybe 2-3 tense matches, with very long intervals in-between.

Regiments disbanding/leaving + single elimination format = ruined tournament. League system works like insurance if the pool of participants changes when it's too late to make adjustments. In case of single elimination, there's not much you can do. Hence such oddities as, for example, my regiment entering the competition in semi-finals. We didn't play good enough to realize this scenario, but it still meant that the "cup" could have been won by a regiment that played merely two matches in its last stage. This shouldn't be an option, even technically.

Only bottom half of the 1st bracket went relatively smooth, with majority of the matches actually taking place. So only host's regiment enjoyed a wholesome tournament experience, which makes him look like kind of guy who invites people to a tea party and then pours a full cup of herbal delight only for himself, NOT vErY_nIcE!!!!

You mistook what I said for a criticism of the league format, and it really wasn't. I hosted 2 CNWLs, if I disliked the league format something would be pretty wrong.
All I was saying is that nowadays almost any hosted tournament is going to be either a proper league, or have a group stage to qualify to another stage etc. Which results in tournaments lasting at least a month, if not several.

Take the new 5v5 thing the 2Lr is hosting. It's going to last 6 weeks minimum. You were here back when 5v5 tournaments (the CavGF ones hosted by the K-KA) lasted one afternoon or a week-end maximum, those were fun as hell to play, and we could have plenty of them since they were short. I miss that format. Doesn't mean the league format is bad. Then again after promoting it like crazy back in the days I'd be a hypocrite to criticize it now.

If you're going to tell me this particular tournament lasted long although it was a single-elimination thing, read Stannis' reply as he explains it perfectly. Hosting a tournament right after the summer holidays is always tricky since class/work is resuming for most people and it makes it uneasy to organize stuff.

What I'd love for a next tournament would be a 1v1 or 2v2 cavalry tournament on single elimination. It's been AGES since we've had one of those. They were always fun and drama-free.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:35:35 pm by Erik le Rouge »
Quote from: Treiz35
fuck erik
Quote from: Dokletian
fuck erik
Quote from: Sinjide
yeah fuck erik
Quote from: Aless
fuck erik
Quote from: Michnicki 1
fuck Erik
Quote from: Charles la Valette
i love erik
Quote from: TxM
fuck erik
Quote from: FreyrDS
fuck Erik
Quote from: Termito
fuck erik.
Quote from: Ciiges
fuck erik
Quote from: Remao
fuck Erik

Offline Rastignac

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Hussars Cup EU (Started)
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »
Fair points.

I agree that the short-term/small-team tournaments were super fun, but that's the thing - single elimination works well only in those cases, as a small team of friends is less likely to "disband" than a regiment. So let's have as many 1v1/2v2/5v5 as you want this way. However, for the bigger, regimental competitions, I'd still advocate the league format which grants everybody equal share of participation.

Quote from: Stannis
With regards to the 8th having a fun wholesome tournament experience, it certainly was but remember the brackets were random

I will confess, I had some serious doubts about that. But if you say they were randomized, I'll just have to believe you here.