Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231450 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2010 on: May 07, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »
So, who of you is going to Quatre Bras?

If your group is not taking part in the march, but you want to do so anyway, I am offering that you take part with us. You do, however, have to also take part in the "battle" with us on Saturday, as we plan on arriving to the battlefield in marching order.

People from the 85e Dutch are not included in this offer. You either take part with them for the entirety of the event, or with us, can't do both.

We're not banding together? What happened?

Oh yes I am coming btw.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:58 pm »
Well, we thought the Dutch 85e and the German 85e were practically one group spread over two groups cos of legal mumbo-jumbo. I mean, the Dutch 85e shows all the Germans and Vlad on their facebook page as if they were members, they claim to have a WW1 impression while no Dutch 85e'ers actually do (they use our pictures), we would always do stuff together on events, and they even signed up Dutch people we got into the hobby (like yourself). We didn't mind, because it made sense legally. It never was a problem.

However, when I tried to become a member (because I need to get a gun licence), 85e suddenly said that 'I'm always with the Germans, who are a different group' and that I never came to their events, so they didn't feel like they should sign me up as a member. It's incredibly retarded because I actually tried to join the 85e a year or so ago already and they refused to accept me, and then they complain 'hey you're never with us'. Nevertheless, Sean said I should just send in registration papers and they'll look at it.

So I did. February 10th. It's now the 7th of may, and I haven't heard a single word from the 85e leadership. They have seemed to have vanished from the face of the earth. How long did it take them to accept your membership? Not three months, I suppose. So until we hear something, we assume that the Dutch 85e wants nothing to do with us. So we're joining up with a light infantry group.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:24:14 pm by Duuring »

Offline Stasiulek

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 07, 2018, 03:13:17 pm »
Is anyone going to Leipzig or Austerlitz this year?

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 07, 2018, 04:25:43 pm »
How long did it take them to accept your membership?

About two days... but mostly because Sean, Hans and Willem like me. And I dont involve myself in the political bullshit.

If you want I can gently poke around a bit with especially Sean. Just some feelers. I mean... It doesnt make sense that you cannot join the 85e. there's people who are already memebers who come to less events.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 07, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »
About two days... but mostly because Sean, Hans and Willem like me. And I dont involve myself in the political bullshit.

Of course. And that's exactly the bullshit, because it should not be dependent on whether you personally like someone. I don't know exactly what Sean has against me, though; he has neglected to inform me about anything. No e-mails, no facebook messages, no phone call. Nothing. All I know is what Christine told me.

If you want I can gently poke around a bit with especially Sean. Just some feelers. I mean... It doesnt make sense that you cannot join the 85e. there's people who are already memebers who come to less events.

There are people who haven't been at events since years. It also doesn't negatively impact the 85e what-so-ever if I am a member or not. I already told Sean I do not wish to get involved in internal politics and would like the situation to remain as it is now, because (as Sean said himself) the current situation works for everybody. Trust me; if I could get a gun license by joining the German 85e, I would. But that's not an option. It's joining the Dutch 85e or leaving the hobby.

I can think of no other reason but that Sean just does not like me and feels that justifies the decision (or more precisely, a lack of any decision). And that's just childish and unprofessional - there's no other way around it. Maybe there are other reasons, but if I'm not informed on them, I can only draw my own conclusions. And the conclusion is that the Dutch 85e does not feel the need to help us (or other Dutch people who prefer to join us) out by an action that involves me paying membership fees (where are those membership fees going to, anyway?) and getting a document saying I'm a registered member. That's it.

Reminds me, we should also request they take down all photo's with us on it from their new site. Just to illustrate how retarded the split is.

One other thing; Riddlez, do you have any idea how many 85e people are going? Sean signed up a whooping 51 people, including 35 armed. But the Dutch 85e barely has enough depot to dress three recruits.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:47:17 pm by Duuring »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
If you ever want thge situation to calm the fuck down - which would be in everyone's best interest, not in the last place yours... if you ever want a firearm license - It would be best to not let this spiral out of control from your side. Right now you are just not in contact, let's not escalate it into war. There is already too much of that in Re-enactment.

What I heard is that they have 42 people coming to QB, and I got that update from Sean a week ago. I do not know how they're going to dress them... I suppose they have their own stuff.
And except for shoes, they can dress about 6 people from what I have noticed... So I hope they have a lot of people coming with their own shit.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:39 pm »
And except for shoes, they can dress about 6 people from what I have noticed... So I hope they have a lot of people coming with their own shit.

The Dutch and German 85e have very different definitions of 'dressed' people, true.

If you ever want thge situation to calm the fuck down - which would be in everyone's best interest, not in the last place yours... if you ever want a firearm license - It would be best to not let this spiral out of control from your side. Right now you are just not in contact, let's not escalate it into war. There is already too much of that in Re-enactment.

We don't feel we are escalating the situation, to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:54:11 pm by Duuring »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2017 on: May 07, 2018, 06:48:57 pm »
It is quite simple. We will ask Sean whats up with the request while in Quatre Bras. If we get no response, i.e. he just wants us to withdraw the request, we no longer work together with them, if we get a "no" we also no longer work together with them.

There is no point in working together with them if they openly reject the idea of doing so legally.

So far, nothing escalated or anything. Casper simply asked for them to join and since then we have not heard anything back from them despite various reminders. I and casper have sent Sean, Sebastian and Truus various messages reminding them of the request. I have also posted in the closed Facebook group (That I AM a member of, but Casper is not?) about it.

The Dutch and German 85e have very different definitions of 'dressed' people, true.

Yes, very true. Casper and I talked about it a few days ago, because we were wondering how they plan to equip all their new members. Then we realised that for them "dressed" means a pair of pants, a pokalem/bonnet/shako and a greatcoat/habit veste/gilet veste.

For us, it means that at the very least you can get a pair of more or less authentic shoes, leatherwork, greatcoat, bonnet/pokalem, shako, trousers, gun and preferably a backpack.
But I secured enough gear that this would only be necessary if I have to equip more than 6 guys. I can fully equip 6 guys, and the next 2 guys would only be missing a habit veste if I were to equip 8.
I have also exchanged some of the shitty gear with less shitty gear just recently, meaning I could potentially equip up to 12 people, if I did it the 85e style.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:56:25 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 07, 2018, 07:21:33 pm »
Dressed in our 'comfortable' 1810 uniforms, of course.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #2019 on: May 07, 2018, 07:30:21 pm »
Glad to see "reenactement politics" are the same everywhere...

For us, it means that at the very least you can get a pair of more or less authentic shoes, leatherwork, greatcoat, bonnet/pokalem, shako, trousers, gun and preferably a backpack.
But I secured enough gear that this would only be necessary if I have to equip more than 6 guys. I can fully equip 6 guys, and the next 2 guys would only be missing a habit veste if I were to equip 8.
I have also exchanged some of the shitty gear with less shitty gear just recently, meaning I could potentially equip up to 12 people, if I did it the 85e style.

Not the first time I ask you Olaf, but are you selling drugs ? Seems the only answer to all this investment capacity
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:32:29 pm by Cara »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 07, 2018, 07:37:46 pm »
Re-enactment politics is 99% people shitting on other people because they don't like them while claiming it's because of various other reasons.

Offline Vorposten

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-channel
« Reply #2021 on: May 07, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »
Is anyone going to Leipzig or Austerlitz this year?
I'm planning to go to Leipzig.

One video from my first event/battle this year (205th anniversary battle near Möckern, Magdeburg) from early April:

It was small and the battle started slow, but it got better after the Prussians attacked the "village". And sadly I had to fought with the napoleonic site, because they weren't enough...  :-\
Gezeichnet,
69thNY_CSgt_Outpost | [DL]III_KBR_Sap_Vorposten | 3tesWaldeck_Fhr_Vorposten

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #2022 on: May 07, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
Glad to see "reenactement politics" are the same everywhere...

Not the first time I ask you Olaf, but are you selling drugs ? Seems the only answer to all this investment capacity

I am simply not throwing away/selling our old gear, so all the crappy stuff goes into the depot to loan to other people. And we are getting new gear ALL the time, because we are constantly trying to improve our impression. That also means that the depot gear to loan gets better and better.

But yeah, I got a bunch of stuff here... + some more stuff at other peoples places.

Spoiler

[close]

To add to my previous post, the real point here is that we do not invite more people than we can equip, but the 85e Dutch are more than happy to invite anyone, even if they do not know if they can equip them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:58:10 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 07, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »
jesus olaf now i now where all that NW money went

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 08, 2018, 04:48:59 pm »
What the fuck Olaf