Author Topic: The community deserves better  (Read 71329 times)

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
  • To be British; is to be haughtily honest.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sid the slick sh*t
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The community deserves better
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
Spoiler
Well, after reading some people's responses, I have a few things to say.
 ;)
First thing: Xeroth, you're a derpstein.

Second thing:
My class starts in 5 minutes, so I only have time to respond to this.

The outrage agaisnt the admins in this thread has not been instigated by them banning "Children", as you described them, on the official servers, something, I dare say, a majority of people in here would stand by if it were to happen. No, It is because there has been people that has gotten extreme and unjust punishments for speaking out agaisnt the FSE Team.

And those decisions had nothing to do with the US administration team, so kindly leave us out of that accusation.

Third thing:
On the topic of Hekko and the overall outcome of events today.
Spoiler
I don't care if someone has a different opinion than me. However I do care if that person is breaking forum policy and/or creating unnecessary disturbance in the community in order to voice that opinion, which is what Hekko did. He felt that making that thread and and in circumstance letting a literal riot start up was the only way the forum admins would listen to the community.

Whether it was his prime intention or not, Hekko did instigate a large disturbance on these forums, which entailed overly aggressive and argumentative posts, disrespectful attitudes and messages, and went as for to extend to hostile PMs and Steam messages, all of which go against the forum rules.

The most infuriating thing about the aftermath of Hekko's actions is that they could have been completely avoided. The forum admins were literally in the process of working out reformations to the forum and server policies when Hekko posted his thread. The changes would have been made clear to the community over the next week, and everything would have worked out nicely, or at least nicer than the outcome of Hekko's decision.

So in essence, the same outcome will be in place, but with a host of unnecessary drama and hostility between members and members and admins. A heart breaking rift has formed in this once happy community, forcing many to take sides. I have truly never seen anything like it, and it was all put to effect by yours truly.

And don't get me wrong; I've been wanting to see some changes in the way the forum admins and server admins work and behave in their duties for some time, probably really starting with the 51st event which is I guess where most people started their thinking. I am in the same critical mindset as Hekko. But nothing shocked me more than this thread. Before that, I thought the process was moving along at a relatively calm pace. Policies would be changed, the community would see them, perhaps negotiate a few things, and then after maybe a week or two the community would go on it's normal business, albeit with the new policies. Hekko knocked the whole thing off balance. The whole process was assimilated and toppled to the ground, and for what? So the forum admins could pry the information they already know out of the frothing sea of over-zealous "revolutionaries," disgustingly disrespectful messages, and a community in a virtual civil war?

No. I believe Hekko's general thoughts were on track. But there can be no argument against the fact that he almost tore this community to pieces. I have worked to make it a friendly place of friendly people, for people of the same interest, which is why we're all here in the first place. This community is something I have been a part of for almost 2 years, and seeing it in its current state is like a stab to my heart.
[close]

You're funny. I think the complaints were against the US admins whacking out the purple chat far too easily. US admins tend to see adminship as an extension of their penis. Flexing of un-needed muscle.
[close]

And accusing north American admins, yet I have never even seen you on. Offices NA server, makes you better? I have never seen a North American official server admin abuse, and I have been playing for quite a while. Proof please?

I have other aliases; Fat_Eric, Sid and so-on. But you're right, I tend not to play on the US server as the vast majority of you beat your chest like a big old silver-back whilst trying to score up ban tallies.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:32:09 am by Robin_Hood »

Instigating arguments is such a broad term, for all could be potentially and usually innocently participating in this joke of a rule. Post an opinion, someone disagrees and therefore you have instigated an argument. Now, sonny, welcome to the FSE graveyard where we ban you all with our sketchy rules as the tool. And why you say? Because we can, son.

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2013, 09:33:00 am »
If we, the NW community, are going to have any structure and relation left, this EU vs NA stuff needs to stop. We are one community. We come from across the world, from many backgrounds, but we all share the same interest: the Napoleonic Wars. That is why we're here. We are not here to bandy words and argue about who's better, because no one is better than anyone else. Sure, there may be those who are annoying, trollish, etc. etc. but if we become elitist and feel superior towards them, we make ourselves no better than they are. Play the game; enjoy each other's company; it really is an amazing thing that we can come together from such a distance, and that is what we should treasure and keep in our minds.
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:12 am »
If we, the NW community, are going to have any structure and relation left, this EU vs NA stuff needs to stop. We are one community. We come from across the world, from many backgrounds, but we all share the same interest: the Napoleonic Wars. That is why we're here. We are not here to bandy words and argue about who's better, because no one is better than anyone else. Sure, there may be those who are annoying, trollish, etc. etc. but if we become elitist and feel superior towards them, we make ourselves no better than they are. Play the game; enjoy each other's company; it really is an amazing thing that we can come together from such a distance, and that is what we should treasure and keep in our minds.
NA and EU players don't really mix, and I am sure some regiments even ban NA players from joining at all or at least discourage it greatly. You're quote won't help you here, as it's idealistic and to be frank; wrong. Just like Crunch's resignation was also; wrong.

But do not think that I don't agree with the concept of it, I just find it about as practical as a chocolate fireplace.

Instigating arguments is such a broad term, for all could be potentially and usually innocently participating in this joke of a rule. Post an opinion, someone disagrees and therefore you have instigated an argument. Now, sonny, welcome to the FSE graveyard where we ban you all with our sketchy rules as the tool. And why you say? Because we can, son.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:36 am »
Lol, robin_hood, you're funny. I can't say I disagree with your arguments, but something about how you just materialized out of the blue a week ago and how literally every single one of your posts have been insulting in one way or another amuses me. Keep going though, we need more people who aren't afraid to represent the more radical stance on the issue, which is that the community is rotten to the core. I can't say I predict you'll be allowed to continue this way much longer though - people don't take kindly to harsh criticism.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:42:13 am by Nipplestockings »

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
Doesn't hurt to hope..?

Hope : to cherish a desire with anticipation
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2013, 09:39:35 am »
Lol, robin_hood, you're funny. I can't say I disagree with your arguments, but something about how you just materialized out of the blue a week ago and how literally every single one of your posts have been insulting in one way or another amuses me. Keep going though, we need more people who aren't afraid to represent the more radical stance on the issue, which is that the community in rotten to the core. I can't say I predict you'll be allowed to continue this way much longer though - people don't take kindly to harsh criticism.

Hey, I never made that weak sperm called Crunch resign, did I? That was you!

and P.S. I already got watched for telling Jacob he is a lump of turd for being a Benedict Arnold (applying for community rep when he voiced dissent in the thread).

Offline Creed

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Nr57_Fus_Creed
« Reply #456 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:19 am »
NA and EU players don't really mix, and I am sure some regiments even ban NA players from joining at all or at least discourage it greatly. You're quote won't help you here, as it's idealistic and to be frank; wrong. Just like Crunch's resignation was also; wrong.

But do not think that I don't agree with the concept of it, I just find it about as practical as a chocolate fireplace.

i find it understandable if EU regiments do not wish to have NA players in their regiments because of the time difference and the ping issues

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:41:58 am by Creed »

Offline Creed

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:24 am »
i feel that Hekko had every right to make his arguement public. if it was sent by PM to any of the FSE staff it would be taken lightly and forgotten in a couple of days. isnt this what the arguement is all about? the community having a voice when it comes to decision making instead of being left in the dark. now i agree that it is wrong how most admins earned there admin place because they simply were in the same regiment or friends with a admin but this should not instantly make them a bad admin. think of a real life situation where you got a job because your family was part of a business? would you be complaining. i dont have any grudges against any admins and i think they do a pretty good job most of the time but something needs to be changed. i dont think community representitives is a step in the right direction because they will most likely be chosen the same way as the admins and we wont be getting anywhere.

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:51 am »
i feel that Hekko had every right to make his arguement public. if it was sent by PM to any of the FSE staff it would be taken lightly and forgotten in a couple of days. isnt this what the arguement is all about? the community having a voice when it comes to decision making instead of being left in the dark. now i agree that it is wrong how most admins earned there admin place because they simply were in the same regiment or friends with a admin but this should not instantly make them a bad admin. think of a real life situation where you got a job because your family was part of a business? would you be complaining. i dont have any grudges against any admins and i think they do a pretty good job most of the time but something needs to be changed. i dont think community representitives is a step in the right direction because they will most likely be chosen the same way as the admins and we wont be getting anywhere.

Not all admins earned their admin via being in regiments with other admins. Some got it for being active but others, as you quite rightly said; got their admin via decadent acts of self-disrespect or via the official channels of relentlessly kissing arse.

I  got my admin via being heavily active on duel server, Hekko got his via being Hekko and there are others who have also got their admin via merit and not due to having a gold-plated relationship with Del boy. I can't name a single admin who got it via merit who had a complaint against him, I really can't.

I suppose a chocolate bar that you've earned means a lot more than a chocolate bar given.

EDIT

Community rep's will not work unless they are given higher power than the head admins, and then again I suppose it will be rather humorous if the community vote in the wrong type and thus initiates it's own hardship. In fact I will say this: community rep is an extension of someone's phallus and boy will he swing it, just pray that he is batting for your team and not FSE's.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:11:37 am by Robin_Hood »

Offline Creed

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2013, 10:07:31 am »
yeah i didnt say all admins got their position based on ass kissing. i can think of one that got it on merit. he applied after everyone recommended he applied to admin as everyone thought he was a reasonable guy. since he got admin he hasnt been on reguarly which may be down to the melee side of the game sucking.

Edit: i think that maybe putting a trial system into place for the admin applications so that the community can see who they see fit to admin the server and not being picked because they are one of the "Cool Kids"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:12:59 am by Creed »

Offline Arthur Ney

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_SdtP_Arthur_Ney
« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:41 am »
Lets keep it like this they got there money and now leave there community alone i miss MM and if there wile be a Server again of MM i will play on that we only have more Admin's more people leave the game because you wanted to change the melee, i bet the devs of NW don't even care anymore about the players and now you want to make your own game but we have to pay that !, i mean i don't ask if people wana pay my Game PC i think you guys should show some more respect to us

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:10 am »
Lets keep it like this they got there money and now leave there community alone i miss MM and if there wile be a Server again of MM i will play on that we only have more Admin's more people leave the game because you wanted to change the melee, i bet the devs of NW don't even care anymore about the players and now you want to make your own game but we have to pay that !, i mean i don't ask if people wana pay my Game PC i think you guys should show some more respect to us

Even though your reply was written and constructed badly, I do give full support to your claims and also think they should go back to leaving the community alone with limited intervention when it is actually needed. For example, removal of admins. If they do not do this they risk people grabbing their pitch forks again, especially if they pull another 51stgate (watergate).

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2013, 10:25:10 am »
Ok I've read through Hekko's post, skim read the revolutionary + 1's :) and also looked at Death by EMP's post, some of the trolling and then Rogov's post and Spearing's post.

I suppose I'll give my thoughts to Hekko's post as best as I can.

I am finally fed up with the idiotic way this community is ran by. The way justice and bans are handled, the way threads and criticism is met, how people are promoted within the community and the hypocrisy of the top level leadership.

Justice is blind, it is often impossible to get a full fledged overview of how well certain admins do their job 24/7 and its difficult to always feel empathy or emotional sympathy for what players may be going through or for what is perceived as a ridiculous abuse of power.

Currently I play quite often on the Australian Servers and I swear every admin action that is taken whether reasonable or not (and the Aussie server Admins tend to be pretty reasonable) is met with an outcry of outrage by those on the sword end the received justice.  It therefore becomes pretty easy to decensortize yourself to the notion that every complaint has a significant amount of validity. P.S. I am not an admin on said servers.

Typically admins are loved by some and hated by others, just from looking through this thread the community is oft split in opinion as to the merit of individual admins. In any case admin abuse is something that can and should be reported but I suggest it is done so in a mature manner in order to be taken seriously.

Lets first discuss the current events. The choice to retire the 51st name, it was a ridiculous proposal and was both unpragmatic and unfair.

On the Australian servers; regimental names are protected and regiments must be unique in name from one another afaik by punishment of temp/perm ban (this is not an FSE thing but a LCC community rule which imo works well but may be unpragmatic or even unfair to impose as a whole). This is however intended to stop trolling of/in someone's regiment/regimental name in the LCC community, which is sadly a common occurrence amongst competitive regiments and it gets pretty damn ridiculous. While I agree that you have some legitimate concerns, (Afaik the 51st apparently had guys adorn the 51st regiment tags on servers for trolling purposes) and given that there may be the possibility of beta testing in the future with the 51st, I would be concerned if people outside the reg got in without permission or someone gave the 51st a bad name thus making the confidence in the testers for the FSE somewhat questionable during development.

In any case I am not saying that the decision to close the 51st is right or wrong but personally I can't seem to find my rage button over it especially when I see the level of ridiculous competitiveness, ages old pretty rivalries and jealousy amongst individual regiments flare up every other day.  On these forums alone I see a ton of reported posts because one regiment member is claiming that another regiment member has stolen either a) Thread resources, b) the regimental name c) guys from his/her regiment (stolen recruits etc) or d) is just plain trolling another regiment.

In the time that I've spent in the 1stAVR (formerly known as the 104th) I've seen some ridiculously immature actions and reactions from the community and various regiments and their members including my own.

The 51st are getting a special privilege for the sake of their contribution to the game. Lets get one thing straight, the reason the 51st has contributed to the dlc is because of the closed-shop nepotistic ways of the developers got help for it. I am sure that the mapping done by 51st members could just as well have been done by people from the 84e or the 1er etc, as long as they would have been granted the Chance to do so. What few people know is that the 51st during the beta actively impeded allot of testing by being hellbent on playing commanderbattle whenever more than 4 people were on. I came to the beta fairly late, yet still the game had a gamebreaking flaw of a fixed height up-stab, which meant that you could duck under the up-stab by holding in a downstab. However, since I didn't belong to the cool kids I was ignored at first when pointing out that this was a serious problem. Infact I was probably the most active poster about gameplay in the beta, and alto of the stuff I posted about has gotten implemented since, just that it took several months after the release for it to be done. Once again because I didn't belong to the cool kids.

Its difficult to find ways to repay community contributions. FSE has chosen to honor the 51st in its own way. Your argument is that the 51st a) do not merit such an honor b) your initial beta test point changes where ignored because you where not part of the cool kids and that advancement in FSE is based on favoritism/nepotism. Personally I am in no position to argue that the 51st deserved or did not deserve any honors but I don't believe you where ignored, rather that fixes don't always come overnight especially when your working to deadlines while attempting to prioritize key issues and not being able to fix a particular critical item in a short time frame. The issue you mentioned was eventually fixed in patches, while later-than-one would have wished, it was none-the-less fixed and not game-braking to begin with. As far as favoritism vs merit goes; I think your argument is valid in a professional context and I think that FSE is still very-much in the transition from a bunch of highly-skilled fun loving guys to a professional company that will hopefully one day employ more than just a few devs.   

While on the topic of professionalism however, Death by EMP did have a point. I can't see that you've raised this issue in the admin forums, if I am wrong then I take it back but I don't see any topics from you on this issue, instead you kind of went out of your way to vent your frustration directly to the community, which in turn has created a shit storm.  However, every cloud has its silver lining.

Perhaps, this is for the best momentarily, so that FSE can better gauge that the less it involves itself in the community or decisions pertaining to the community management, the better. I have suggested to Vince previously that FSE focuses on the work at hand rather than doing any micro managing of the community because the community tends to get easily excited/incensed over issues that may sometimes be deemed as trivial to some of us (given differing priorities and circumstances in life) but that will come across as being extremely rude to others and given the pace of development there is little time, as it is, to deal with shit storms.

Thus as far as admin oversight goes, FSE cannot always be in all places 24/7.
Anyway suffice to say a few changes are being made which will hopefully be for the better.

Spoiler

[close]

JackieChan

« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:38 am »
Its difficult to find ways to repay community contributions. FSE has chosen to honor the 51st in its own way. Your argument is that the 51st a) do not merit such an honor b) your initial beta test point changes where ignored because you where not part of the cool kids and that advancement in FSE is based on favoritism/nepotism. Personally I am in no position to argue that the 51st deserved or did not deserve any honors but I don't believe you where ignored, rather that fixes don't always come overnight especially when your working to deadlines while attempting to prioritize key issues and not being able to fix a particular critical item in a short time frame. The issue you mentioned was eventually fixed in patches, while later-than-one would have wished, it was none-the-less fixed and not game-braking to begin with. As far as favoritism vs merit goes; I think your argument is valid in a professional context and I think that FSE is still very-much in the transition from a bunch of highly-skilled fun loving guys to a professional company that will hopefully one day employ more than just a few devs.   
I more or less agree on pretty much all your points, except this one. The 51st has not really contributed to NW. They contributed to MM, but I did not see them host any real events in NW nor regularly frequent the in-game servers. They chose to switch to another game and I guess it is because they did not enjoy NW as much as the other game. So why honour people for their contribution to a game they do not even play in any more.
I do not have a problem with them being beta-testers, since in my opinion the more the merrier. If more people test it, then the game will be created to the liking of more people. Yet, saying they were chosen as beta-testers for their contribution is kind of slighting for the actually active people, who love this game and play it a lot and are thankful for it.
They can be beta-testers for all I care, but not because of the reason that they contributed and no, this is not the 91st member speaking, because I fully agree on your point concerning retarded regimental fewds. I am merely trying to show that credit should be given where it is deserved.

EDIT: This is concerning the regimental name and the special status, which has actually already been resolved.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:44:25 am by JackieChan »

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2013, 10:44:17 am »
I more or less agree on pretty much all your points, except this one. The 51st has not really contributed to NW. They contributed to MM, but I did not see them host any real events in NW nor regularly frequent the in-game servers. They chose to switch to another game and I guess it is because they did not enjoy NW as much as the other game. So why honour people for their contribution to a game they do not even play in any more.
I do not have a problem with them being beta-testers, since in my opinion the more the merrier. If more people test it, then the game will be created to the liking of more people. Yet, saying they were chosen as beta-testers for their contribution is kind of slighting for the actually active peopl, who love this game and play it a lot and are thankful for it.
They can be beta-testers for all I care, but not because of the reason that they contributed and no, this is not the 91st member speaking, because I fully agree on your point concerning retarded regimental fewds. I am merely trying to show that credit should be given where it is deserved.

Hi Jackie, you are so right here.

But allow me to go further and say they did not contribute to MM either. Their activity was in the first year of MM and after that, well, they no longer existed except for a few mentionings of Fortune, Deathstar, MrTikki and Refleax.

The previous is what really grinded my gears about the whole situation.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:48:49 am by Robin_Hood »