Author Topic: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread  (Read 10278 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:17 pm »
Spoiler
Still, why would you want to re-enact a unit of cowards who betrayed their country and voluntarily supported the Nazi Regime?

*face desk* The answer would come down to it "Why not?" much the same as "Why would you re-enact a bunch of belgian cowardly seperatist movements?".

Lets take Napoleon ... happily set people to their death for the sake of "Democracy" ... well "Imperialism" but same difference right? dosn't make him any less of a charasmatic tactful leader. The same would go for the SS divisions where killing civilians in "Opposing countries" was actually employed by the US to sanction the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski even though the Japenese were about to give up but the message was "never received".

A political state of mind does not entitle you well ... to a title put on you. I voted conservative last election in the UK, does that make me a ponce who trots around in suits? nope it still makes me a working class scumbag ... if only the dreams of politics would make me richer with a single vote ... curse you!

The problem is "They lost", if you lose its not sanctified ... the German nation lost the war thus "Murderers!" but the bombings on civilian sectors during the Gulf war AND WWII by the US "Tactful". Dosn't make any sense.
[close]

Riddlez seconds.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:28:22 pm »
Why would you want to re-enect a country who in all history books are cowards who ran at Waterloo?

Who would want to re-enect a country that keeps saying they won their own revolution?

Not all history books say that and you and I both know that's complete bullshit.

What revolution are you referring to? The Batavian? It was won, but people sometimes forget the first one (in 1787) was put down by the Prussians.

Still, why would you want to re-enact a unit of cowards who betrayed their country and voluntarily supported the Nazi Regime?

*snip*

Your first sentence makes sense, everything after that one again misses a point. What are you trying to say?

Oh and just in case you are wondering; I had a lovely weekend at Waterloo. Saddled the horses of the Duke of Wellington and the Prince of Orange, fired a few shots with a musket and touched the wall of Hougoumont. It rained from time to time, but that's re-enactment too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:30:12 pm by Duuring »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »
I am referrong to the American Revolution
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »

Then it's a idiotic thing to say. They shouldn't re-enact it because they weren't the only ones fighting in the war? That's like saying people shouldn't re-enact the French in the Napoleonics because they had so many foreign units and allies.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »
Oh really now?  :P

Well, we did win it. Just not alone, if that's what you're referring to.

Now how about steer this a bit closer to the original topic?

Edit:
 Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Ninja'd by Duuring.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:49:09 pm »

Then it's a idiotic thing to say. They shouldn't re-enact it because they weren't the only ones fighting in the war? That's like saying people shouldn't re-enact the French in the Napoleonics because they had so many foreign units and allies.

Riddlez doesn't day he is agreeing to this reply, but it clarifies how some are thinking about other arguments, why not to re-enect the SS.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
No, you are just being fantasticly unclear. How about you stop with the 3rd person talk for a moment and respond like a normal person. Not only it will be easier to understand you, but we might also consider taking you serious.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »
Forget the Waffen-SS, no unit is more elite and tasty than the Waffle-SS

Spoiler
[close]

Or the dreaded Luftwaffle!
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
A love historical reenactors!  8)
When someone is reenacting such "elite troops" as some guys say, you should be Aware that there was a strict figure law in that Units. Wondering why some guys are still portraying them (I know that at least one guy is Luftwaffe on that Picture)...

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
A love historical reenactors!  8)
When someone is reenacting such "elite troops" as some guys say, you should be Aware that there was a strict figure law in that Units. Wondering why some guys are still portraying them (I know that at least one guy is Luftwaffe on that Picture)...

Spoiler
[close]
Ah, that infamous picture...
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »
if were going to have a discussion about reenacting the SS then people who arent reenacters scram. Go make a thread in the main historical forum.

As said before reenacters can reenact what they want even if I may not agree with it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:18:01 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:55 pm »
No, you are just being fantasticly unclear. How about you stop with the 3rd person talk for a moment and respond like a normal person. Not only it will be easier to understand you, but we might also consider taking you serious.

Just replace the 'Riddlez', with 'I', and the He, as well, sure you can figure it out.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:57 pm »

Just replace the 'Riddlez', with 'I', and the He, as well, sure you can figure it out.

I refuse to decode your posts. Want to be taken serious? Act serious.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
retarted posts like these is why people who arent reenacters should not be in the reenacter forum.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:53 am »
if were going to have a discussion about reenacting the SS then people who arent reenacters scram. Go make a thread in the main historical forum.

I can see why you'd want to re-enact the Waffen-SS; Bigotry and segregation seem right up your alley.

...was actually employed by the US to sanction the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski even though the Japenese were about to give up but the message was "never received".

Japan had no intention of surrendering and was preparing to repel the invasion of Honshu and Kyushu right up until the end of the war. They had repeatedly refused Allied demands to surrender and had made it quite clear that they would never surrender while they could still fight.

Operation Downfall (the planned invasion of the mainland) was estimated by the Allied command to cause half a million American deaths and between five and ten million Japanese deaths. The entire populace would be hostile to the invaders and they had been strongly encouraged to fight (they even raised a corps of armed civilians that wound up numbering over 28 million. Like the Volkssturm, they'd have died in enormous numbers), not to mention the sizeable armies still in Japan. It would have been an absolute blood bath. The 200,000 or so deaths caused by the atomic bombings seem scant in comparison.

The Atomic bombings may have been among the worst things Man has ever had to do, but they saved millions of lives. To claim that they were equivalent to Nazi war-crimes is ridiculous.

Basically every wartime army in history has committed crimes against humanity. The difference is that the Waffen-SS was an armed political group who were officially tasked with committing war-crimes (among other things. I do realise they were soldiers that fought proper). I don't know of any other such group that is widely re-enacted. Napoleon's army may have committed war-crimes, but does anyone re-enact a unit that killed as many civilians and POWs with official sanction as the Waffen-SS?