Author Topic: A Dozen Inexpensive Ways to Improve Your Personal Impression (By Cal Kinzer)  (Read 11591 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Let me play devils attorney here.

They say the generals horse's leg were ormanted with them. Now, how many gaiters would fit on four horselegs? A few dozen? 60? 100? 200?

Certainly not the entire batallion - this was done by a minorty of the regiment, probably all in 1 company (One guy took the lead, others followed).

Gaiters were part of high fashion in those days, so saying it looks ridicious has hardly got anything to do with. And eventually men regretted trowing away the gaiters, because why else would they fit their pants in their socks?

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
Could they really get away with destroying their gaiters in those armies? in the 19th century British army the deliberate destruction of issued items was punishable by death. Most got off with a flogging, though.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Could they really get away with destroying their gaiters in those armies? in the 19th century British army the deliberate destruction of issued items was punishable by death. Most got off with a flogging, though.
well i dont really know about punishment,  but the civil war soilder would have thrown away grear that sould make them less stremline on marches.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile

On September 6th, 1862, the 16th Maine left their great coats, tents, knapsacks, bedrolls and other supplies when they left DC because they thought the war would be short. They were finally resupplied on Nov 27th, 1862.

I think the army wasn't as strict on their regulations as other countries.

Right, im sure the army was pissed at  haveng to resuppy them but only to some extent And that is how the U.S.  army works
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
i think gators sould only be used for early war impresstions but that they were "lost" very quickly and there for dont use them! no matter how pretty they look.

and besides i like mud on my boots and pants  ;D
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union

Such is an army of volunteers.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile

The British army consisted fully out of volunteers.

Of course some men didn't have much choice, but you know what I mean.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile

"Volunteers"
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
They had, for example, the choice between deportation or enlistment, or the noose or enlistment.

Those men were a far minority, though, and by the greatest part of the people signed up just to make a living. You're not telling me no ACW soldiers enlisted to run away from problems at home.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
and then you got the "press gangs"

"we will hit you until you join the navy"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:44:54 pm by munk »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Spoiler

When he says army of volunteers, he is referring to the United States Volunteers (which was called The Volunteer  Army of the United States at the time) which were separate from the Regular Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Volunteers
[close]

I know. My point is that just because an army is made out of volunteers is no reason they were less disciplined or less punished. Even though he was probably only joking; I just like making points!

"we will hitt you ntil you going the navy"

That's the navy, and I don't think they ever really became violent until AFTER you had signed up.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Spoiler

When he says army of volunteers, he is referring to the United States Volunteers (which was called The Volunteer  Army of the United States at the time) which were separate from the Regular Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Volunteers
[close]

I know. My point is that just because an army is made out of volunteers is no reason they were less disciplined or less punished. Even though he was probably only joking; I just like making points!

"we will hit you until you join the navy"

That's the navy, and I don't think they ever really became violent until AFTER you had signed up.

really, well that the american version of it, but im sure its wrong
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:47:08 pm by munk »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Ah, you silly Americans. Thinking people were violent in the early 19th century! Ha!

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Ah, you silly Americans. Thinking people were violent in the early 19th century! Ha!

What peoplewere violent!!!  I thought everyone was frolicking in field drinking French wine and Switz chocolate in the 19th century!!! 
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
I don't think your understanding what I meant duuring. Although it wouldn't be the best description of it but think the US volunteers as a better trained militia. Where as ditching equipment and such would be frowned upon and punished in the regular army (before the war) the volunteers often commanded by volunteer commanders cared less about that and did what what the men preferred.

If somebody didn't like their equipment they would throw it away. Only arms and leathers were required to be in good order.

To be frank I don't think your understanding that the Volunteer armies were more nonchalant than their European counterparts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:37:48 pm by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.