Author Topic: Waterloo 2015  (Read 16476 times)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Waterloo 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
Well, the history of the British knapsack is nicely outlined in Pierre Turner's excellent book Soldiers' Accoutrements of the British Army 1750-1900. Unfortunately, Frank Packer, who has done probably the most extensive research ever conducted on British knapsacks, has deleted all of his posts from the Living History Worldwide forums, where he had posted extremely detailed information about the subject.

So, I no longer know where you can find a detailed write up on the internet, but suffice it to say that there is absolutely no evidence that suggests the British wore knapsacks with wooden frames in the Napoleonic era. No images, no surviving examples, no mentions in documents or memoirs and the fact that John Trotter stopped trading in 1806, and the very detailed records of his company show that it had never supplied knapsacks, but rather camp equipment. There is, however, tons and tons of evidence that shows wooden frames were not used in the era. Every image that shows a British knapsack shows it as being the envelope type, or after 1812 a fully enclosed, but loose type.

If this guy can present evidence that suggests they existed, he'd be doing a great favour to the historically minded community by showing it. If he can't, then he's just someone that's decided something is one way and simply ignores any evidence to the contrary.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:37 am »

I had considered going as a spectator, but if it's not going to be that good, I may not bother going through the huge trouble of flying to Belgium.

I missed my change ever to meet Docm. NOOOOOOO!!!

Considering that a 'regular' Waterloo has about 2000 men and 2010 apparantly also had 4000 militiary(could be total number, but I believe its militiary), yes; Waterloo 2015 will be pityful small.

I don't know why they came up with this. I have got one hunce, though.
The 7de BvL, the group who usually helps organizing Waterloo, is the most hardcore around, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was their brilliant idea. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:34:24 am by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:39 am »
Thanks alot :) will post back with any evidence he has

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:56 am »
Duuring ill let the ANA ,yes it still exists but going through alot of flak, about of this(if they dont already)  im actually on the commitee as an ordinary member

thanks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:37:15 am by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:11 am »
Sure.

A guy of the 27de actually became rather annoyed after I posted this on Facebook, questioning if this was some sort of vile joke. Like this is something that needs to be kept silent.

Btw, that hunce on the 7de is in no way provable, so please don't take that a a fact. It's just something that sounds likely in my ears.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 08:40:19 am »
ye, if 4000 is the limit u will probably find certain groups, organisations organizing their own "waterloo" etc
"

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:11 am »
God damn, It is gonna hopefully be my 2nd huge event, now they've restricted it I'm looking less forward to it :(

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 08:57:41 am »
Maybe we can convince Waterloo, Ontario to host a better event.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
ye, and theirs 70 odd places called Waterloo in australia... ;)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 11:15:15 am »
That's the thread that used to contain Frank Packer's posts, but no longer does.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »
Ignore them like a maverick and go anyway, don't let a bunch of bureaucrats spoil the fun!
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »

Yeah, maybe I'll try to make my way to Pennsylvania for the Gettysburg reenactment instead. They're supposed to get like 50,000 people or something crazy.

It's kind of a shame that they're basically ruining the last time any of us will ever see a major (as in centennial) anniversary of a Napoleonic battle.

And the first as it would have been impossible to have done it during WW1 in 1915
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »
Yep.

They(the organizers) say you can't get more then 4000 soldiers organised and that size is no garance for a good event. They also don't want 'unknown hobbists' to join the battle.

They seem to carefully ignore the fact that the last bicentrial of the era is something many re-enactors from far away find worthy of the money and effort to get to Belgium.
Those re-enactors are getting universally fucked because the organizers simply don't trust them to be 'real' re-enactors.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:42 pm »
Whhhaaaaat? The logic is simply astounding. It's like they think only good reenactors register early. I'm sure there's already plenty of farbs on the "in" list. Regardless, if this is indeed the plan, I may have to hurry-up and find a unit...
Duuring, is your cav unit accepting American volunteers?

;P

And on a slightly different note; does anyone have any idea what the current number singed-up already is?
Duuring, you must answer my questions! I need to know! D:
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.