Author Topic: Waterloo 2015  (Read 16496 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Waterloo 2015
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »
Right. I just received the newsletter of the Dutch Napoleonic Association which tells some bad news.

The max number of military re-enactors (In other words, those who will take the field) has been put at 4000. No more. This does not include 'civil' roles, but quite frankly, I don't give a shit about how many civilian we have running around. They apparently decided to put it at this maximum for the following reason: To get only experienced people on the field who have taken the effort to secure their place. "Quality before quantity"

It's unclear if this 4000 includes artillery and cavalry, but I consider that likely.

Comments! And feel free to discuss Waterloo 2015 in general. What unit will you be in, will you be there, etc etc.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Waterloo 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »
Only 4000?

field who have taken the effort to secure their place. "Quality before quantity"

Im sure allot of quality reenacters havent sighned up for the fact that its 2 years away.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:57 pm »
Only 4000.

And yes, their logic is kinda stupid. I presume they think there are only about 4000 prime re-enactors.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:41 pm »
I really hope they change their minds before the event, in the mean time I'm definitely gonna go to it, nothings going to stop me!

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
Yeah thats strange. Was thinking about using my contacts on the forums down the road to possibly volunteer with a EU unit.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:06:59 pm »
They can't change it. They got their permits with these numbers and not keeping themselves to that permit will result in a cancel of said permits.

Groups present in 2013 automatically get their place in 2015, by the way. Numbers aren't important, it's about the group.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:34:56 am »
Do you think reenacters who can't make it will do their own event? I know this has been the case with some civil war events

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:14 am »
Whhhaaaaat? The logic is simply astounding. It's like they think only good reenactors register early. I'm sure there's already plenty of farbs on the "in" list. Regardless, if this is indeed the plan, I may have to hurry-up and find a unit...
Duuring, is your cav unit accepting American volunteers?

;P

And on a slightly different note; does anyone have any idea what the current number singed-up already is?
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:47 am »
Well this is stupid, looks like D Division may not be showing up, only 4000?? their will be more reenactors at the history festival at lithgow this weekend :/

where do groups registered,my group said it has but just asking?

some of the members of my group who do Zouave are trying to get me to come along to Gettysburg 150th, that might be better
Yeah thats strange. Was thinking about using my contacts on the forums down the road to possibly volunteer with a EU unit.
WE all have to meet up,and tie Duuing to a tree :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:34:33 am by zac »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:41:31 am »
4,000 seems pretty pitiful. And here I thought they had planned to make it the largest Napoleonic reenactment of all time.

I had considered going as a spectator, but if it's not going to be that good, I may not bother going through the huge trouble of flying to Belgium.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:05 am »
Zac is the 21e accepting american volunteers? My dad and I planned on watching the reenactment but im sure it would be easier and more fun to go as a reenacter

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:08 am »
Well im Australian 21eme, where going with he UK 21eme, 1st battalion, so while im sure we would let u join up,its more correct to ask Davout as hes UK 21eme , if u get what i mean

im probally going as 102nd regiment though

and Docm i agree,if its only going to be 4000, i cant see the point in going,i can get that down here
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:54:07 am by zac »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:12 am »
and Docm i agree,if its only going to be 4000, i cant see the point in going,i can get that down here

Yeah, maybe I'll try to make my way to Pennsylvania for the Gettysburg reenactment instead. They're supposed to get like 50,000 people or something crazy.

It's kind of a shame that they're basically ruining the last time any of us will ever see a major (as in centennial) anniversary of a Napoleonic battle.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:03 am »

Yeah, maybe I'll try to make my way to Pennsylvania for the Gettysburg reenactment instead. They're supposed to get like 50,000 people or something crazy.

It's kind of a shame that they're basically ruining the last time any of us will ever see a major (as in centennial) anniversary of a Napoleonic battle.

totally agree, shame is im in Australia so Waterloo was the last and probally only 200th i could go too,and many aussies for that matter, its a shame, but they still may change their minds

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 07:23:56 am »
double post damn,And Docm, could u send me a good link in regards to the fact that trotter packs where not used in the NW, arguing with a guy and i have variouse sources but just wanted to know if u had anything different>

current main source http://www.napoleonicwarsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1186

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:51:33 am by zac »