Author Topic: Flintsoft ~ Poll is up  (Read 48405 times)

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Flintsoft
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »
Exactly why it doesn't belong here. This is a historical re-enactment section of the forum.
Why are you so critical about it? I mean is it worth arguing about it being in the wrong section of the forums?

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:47 pm »
Exactly why it doesn't belong here. This is a historical re-enactment section of the forum.
Are you that upset about it hthough that you'd argue about it being on the section of the forums that you don't think it belongs?

edit: oops, posted twice

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »
I'm not upset. I might have become irritated when someone here compared Re-enactment to LARP. Just show, properly, that this is not, in any way, Historical Re-enactment.

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Slawtering
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:39 pm »
Not sure if entirely legal (atleast to be used on humans) but sounds pretty good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDK40DNgbmQ[/youtube]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:22 pm »
a single musket makes more sound then that.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »
Anyway, I'm actually considering making a group for this because in my area, I'm to young to own my own weapon and too poor to afford one anyway.

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »
Not sure about the legality of airsoft in Canada I've heard of stupid laws like not allowed to import a gun but you can import it in pieces and stuff like that.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »
Not sure about the legality of airsoft in Canada I've heard of stupid laws like not allowed to import a gun but you can import it in pieces and stuff like that.
They're legal.

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:30 pm »
Its a good spor- I mean a way of re-enacting the past :P

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 12:26:34 am »
I think what Duuring is trying to get at, is that there's a lot more to reenacting than just running around a forest shooting each-other. We do a lot more than that.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:45 am »
Not forgetting the fact that there were few soldiers which ran around in forests all the time.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »
Not forgetting the fact that there were few soldiers which ran around in forests all the time.
You know what I mean. :P

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »
You've obviously never played airsoft, (unless on open days) you are always tactical with a wide range of objectives to complete and rules to adhere to its not simply run around a forest and a field for 6 hours.

For example many WW2 airsoft games are heavily based on teamplay from the guy in the tank down to the rifleman in one of the many squads. You can't really bash it til you try it, just like I can't/wont bash re-enactment, only re-enactment i've ever done was more towards 1200-1300 period so muskets and firearms don't come into play.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 05:46:58 pm »
I don't know about Duuring, but I have played airsoft. And yes, I thought it was awesome. What gets us about combining the two, is the lack of authenticity (as shown by the pictures). Not only are the uniforms just wrong, they're obviously based on Sharpe (which many reenactors consider to be a crime in it's-self). The nock-gun is what really disturbs me. It has no place in a reenactment for several reasons. The biggest of which, being their lack of use by infantrymen. It was originally made for the navy. It also had massive recoil, so I doubt any soldier that didn't pull the arms off of monsters for fun, would have wanted to use it. Another thing is the officer's sword, an 1803 light-infantry sword (curved) would be much more accurate.

So tl;dr, what makes us so hesitant about "airsoft-reenacitng" is the lack of quality and historical accuracy. If they had the same standards as decent "normal" reenactors do, they would be taken a whole lot more seriously.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:48:52 pm by König »

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
Oh I totally agree the standards of uniform and weapon style definitely need improving but you could say this was a sort of alpha program, it is not even out of its infancy so there is bound to be bad things about it. At the moment its just getting publicity and mass producing of weapons and uniforms to be used by 'softers and sites alike. Just like WW2 airsoft did not long ago, now a battle is rather authentic.