Poll

Are the "Oldest Pyramids of the world" that were found in Crimea, the real reason for the War?

Yes! Putin only took Crimea because of the alien pyramids.
13 (61.9%)
Yes! I don't believe that the pyramids were made by aliens, but I do believe that Russia took Crimea because of the incredible cultural treasures hidden inside them.
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 367936 times)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #4620 on: May 06, 2015, 05:36:54 pm »
This tank is the F-35 of the Russian army, in many ways. It's like half a generation behind almost every other country with an arms industry. Outclassed by pretty much every other widely used tank - and Russia doesn't have the industrial capacity to produce them in extremely large numbers anyway.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:42:04 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4621 on: May 06, 2015, 05:39:27 pm »
Nice large flat spaces on the armour.  :D

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: May 06, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »
K2 Battle tank.
Sadly it appears to be awesome.

It's ok. The Russians can sell rocket engines from the 70's to the Americans so they can go in space.
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4623 on: May 06, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »

Read. it isn't supposed to matter, since it has explosive reactive armour.

This was invented because of RPGs, who literally do not care about any armour whatsoever and pierce it anyway.

What ERA is, is basicly some shotguns with hail shot at certain points on the tank. sensors detect an incoming missile and fire the shrapnel at the right time at the proper place, making the projectile explode without touching the tank, barely damaging it as a result. One major disadvantage of this is, is that you cannot do combined arms. Infantry taking cover behind or to the sides of the vehicle wi;; get shot by shrapnel, equivalent to frag grenades. Oh, and a grenade explodes in their faces. That tends to ruin the fun as well.

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:44 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uralvagonzavod

It is one of the largest scientific and industrial complexes in Russia[1] and the largest main battle tank manufacturer in the world.

In 2008 the number of tanks produced by the company was greater than the number of main battle tanks produced in all the other countries of the world taken together.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:25:36 pm by MarshalKim »
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #4626 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »
The T80 could do that too. The T90 is a strong and cheap tank. As usual Russian military products are not only excellent, they are also much cheaper than their western counterparts. For example the S-300 family is much cheaper and stronger than the Patriots. A T-90 costs 4.25 million dollars while a Leclerc costs 27 millions.

Quote from: Wigster600
Furtivity, like the French Leclerc. Or this PL-01:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:09:31 pm by MaxLam »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: May 06, 2015, 08:11:00 pm »
Russian military products are not excellent lol. Holy shit how much propaganda have you been eating? Aside from their small arms industry their military hardware is largely trash. They have some decently tough equipment but most of it is at least a generation behind, even at the point of first being designed. Their aircraft are hardy but lack critical equipment on board and are prone to failure and malfunction. Russia is not prepared for war against another western power. They may be improving, but they're still far behind most other powers in almost every way.

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #4628 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:02 pm »
The S-300/500 are indeed excellent, and cheap, it's not a "small arm" and there is no western equivalent. The Borei-class submarines are also good and cheap. "The total cost of the submarine is $713m, including the research and development expenditure of $280m."

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/borei-class/

American Ohio-class submarines cost 2 billion dollars.

The new Novorossiysk submarine (2013) is said to be undetectable.

The BUK-2 is so strong that it can destroy the whome Malaysia airline fleet.

Russia is still far behind the USA, but western countries like France, Britain and Germany wouldn't have a chance in a 1vs1 war (nukes apart).

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:53 pm »
The Russian navy is a joke. Submarines are really the only thing they have modernized (meaning they got most of them in the 90s).

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4630 on: May 06, 2015, 11:26:10 pm »
And yet the Germans produce better Submarines, so who the fuck cares? If it really would come to a war, I don't think that the western countries would just sit around with their current equipment and wait until it is all destroyed.
They would probably start ordering more of it, and start producing it in less time. 

But there simply is no need for it right now. Why do you need to pump out 2000 submarines/tanks/airplanes/whatever every second?

That being said, ofc. a country like Germany, France or the UK would not be able to stand in a 1v1 with Russia... (Because Russia can pump almost double as many soldiers into the the fight.)
But they do not have to, if Russia feels like attacking one of them, half of the World is suddenly fighting Russia, and I do not think that Russia likes that very much.

Also, just look at the population comparison. Russia has 140 million citizens, while the EU already has 500 million...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:27:53 pm by Olafson »

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4631 on: May 06, 2015, 11:31:52 pm »
And yet the Germans produce better Submarines
But we give them to Israel for free.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: May 06, 2015, 11:38:56 pm »
Russia has some decent submarines. At least they achieve what they were designed for.
Russia has really good helicopters. In fact they have the best helicopter platforms in the world.
Russian nukes, missile technology and silo's are excellent and reliable.

Russia has good torpedo's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval  Supercavitating torpedoes developed by the Soviet Union. They are capable of speeds in excess of 200 knots (370 km/h).

Hypersonic cruise missile    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrahMos-II  Mach 7 (8,575 km/h; 5,328 mph)

Russia's military achieves it's task and acts as a perfect deterrent.
A lot of the stuff they develop is good for exports and some of their aircraft are very underrated.

The military talk on this forum tends to be childish. Rejenorst is an exception. His posts are of high quality.

But there simply is no need for it right now. Why do you need to pump out 2000 submarines/tanks/airplanes/whatever every second?

That being said, ofc. a country like Germany, France or the UK would not be able to stand in a 1v1 with Russia... (Because Russia can pump almost double as many soldiers into the the fight.)
But they do not have to, if Russia feels like attacking one of them, half of the World is suddenly fighting Russia, and I do not think that Russia likes that very much.

Also, just look at the population comparison. Russia has 140 million citizens, while the EU already has 500 million...

War does not work this way anymore or at least has no worked this way for the past 70 years.
This whole post is irrelevant.

"Germany, France or the UK would not be able to stand in a 1v1 with Russia"

Irrelevant. Those countries are united and share responsibilities over fields and geographical region. They each have their roles and together form something that could be called a "western" bloc.

The Russian navy is a joke. Submarines are really the only thing they have modernized (meaning they got most of them in the 90s).

The fact that the only thing of "worth" is submarines is actually a good thing. What else should they have for their needs?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:47:39 pm by MarshalKim »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: May 07, 2015, 12:07:22 am »
Submarines are indeed pretty much the best investment a country can make into its navy, besides aircraft carriers of course. But even then, Submarines are more versatile and can be relatively cheaply produced. Still though, Russia is woefully lacking in pretty much every other department when it comes to conventional war. Their electronics are so underdeveloped it's ridiculous. Most of their tech is still from the 80s and 90s. They're updating the hardware on their older aircraft and equipment, but it doesn't change the fact that the equipment itself is too old to hold up longer than a few decades from now.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4634 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23:05 am »

"Germany, France or the UK would not be able to stand in a 1v1 with Russia"

Irrelevant. Those countries are united and share responsibilities over fields and geographical region. They each have their roles and together form something that could be called a "western" bloc.

Wat? Did you even read what I wrote?
I wrote that they do not have to, because as soon as someone attacks one of them, it is like attacking all of them...

Aircraft carriers are useless in a modern war with modern armies. They are a way to large target and can be easily hit by any properly guided missile.
However, they prove to be extremely useful against countries who can not use this kind of technology.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:32:46 am by Olafson »