The Lounge > Historical Discussion

Could Germany have won on the eastern front?

(1/12) > >>

Derps9:
Could Germany have won ww2??? Lets see what the community thinks  ;D

Cazasar:
No. The entire Eastern Campaign was the idea of a lunatic and completely doomed from the get go.

William:
Had Japan joined in then I believe that Germany could have easily won. The Siberian divisions were key to defending Moscow and were only sent there after Russian intelligence confirmed Japanese neutrality over the area. If Japan had contested further it is likely those divisions would have never arrived or arrived too late to defend Moscow.

That being said, even without the Japanese I still don't think they could win due to the stretch of supply lines and size of Russia.

Cazasar:

--- Quote from: William on June 06, 2018, 10:16:24 pm ---Had Japan joined in then I believe that Germany could have easily won. The Siberian divisions were key to defending Moscow and were only sent there after Russian intelligence confirmed Japanese neutrality over the area. If Japan had contested further it is likely those divisions would have never arrived or arrived too late to defend Moscow.

That being said, even without the Japanese I still don't think they could win due to the stretch of supply lines and size of Russia.

--- End quote ---
What makes you think they could have easily taken moscow then? And what would that even achieve. Russia isnt france, its not a capture the flag game.

William:

--- Quote from: Cazasar on June 06, 2018, 11:16:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: William on June 06, 2018, 10:16:24 pm ---Had Japan joined in then I believe that Germany could have easily won. The Siberian divisions were key to defending Moscow and were only sent there after Russian intelligence confirmed Japanese neutrality over the area. If Japan had contested further it is likely those divisions would have never arrived or arrived too late to defend Moscow.

--- End quote ---
What makes you think they could have easily taken moscow then? And what would that even achieve. Russia isnt france, its not a capture the flag game.

--- End quote ---
No, but Stalin was staying in Moscow as a show of support and strength. Had Moscow been overrun then it is presumable that the Soviet chain of command would have imploded or fragmented with his death or capture. The capture of Russia would have provided vital oil reserves to the Germans alongside huge agricultural yields. I'm not saying Moscow would be a total victory but it would definitely be a huge blow and potentially get a 'surrender' of some sorts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version