Author Topic: All regiment & mess hall threads capped at 100 pages  (Read 29349 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: All regiment & mess hall threads capped at 100 pages
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:56 am »
It was explained on the threads that were locked, and again in more depth on a stickied thread of its own. Every poster that asked for their OP had it returned to them. Literally all people had to do was PM a moderator for the code and start a new thread - considerably less effort than people have spent in complaining about it in the first place. You're making mountains out of molehills here.
I just think personally, #1 The Moderators should have contacted the regiment leaders or the community as a whole what is happening in more depth. Say as sending a message to everyone on the forum, stating whats upcoming with the forum etc.

Yeah, just the regimental leaders. As if they deserve to know more just because they host a group of players. Notify the entire community, or no one at all.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2014, 02:13:12 pm »
I didn't feel that it was necessary to give more warning because I wasn't aware it was such a big deal. All it meant was that users would have to create new threads - hardly a strenuous task in the first place, the forums are full of them after all. The inability to quote locked posts wasn't anticipated, and I believe that's where much of the community outcry has stemmed from, but that would have happened whether we'd given warning or not. We provided alternate means to obtain your post, and the forum generally carried on as normal. What's the big deal.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline PurplePanda

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Old Gen boy, led a few bad regiments.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purpie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:51 pm »
There should always be a warning for any changes made to any forum.

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2014, 04:20:35 pm »
You were obviously wrong,  Blob. The main outrage is people losing their original thread. If you don't understand why people are outraged then clearly you have no perspective on what the community is like.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »
I didn't feel that it was necessary to give more warning because I wasn't aware it was such a big deal. All it meant was that users would have to create new threads - hardly a strenuous task in the first place, the forums are full of them after all. The inability to quote locked posts wasn't anticipated, and I believe that's where much of the community outcry has stemmed from, but that would have happened whether we'd given warning or not. We provided alternate means to obtain your post, and the forum generally carried on as normal. What's the big deal.

Your entire line of thinking was based on assumptions. I know this isn't about life and death, but in the Fire Department Lieutenants are drilled to the core with this:

Assumptions kill.

It's a generally nice motto. I would kindly suggest (actually meant kindly) that this will also be in the back of you and the rest of he mod team's head in upcoming decisions.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
No-one lost their original thread. They are all right there, for the world to see, in horrifyingly plain sight.

Riddlez, none of it was based on assumptions. I knew it had to be done, and I knew that the forum users would be able to make new threads. What I didn't know was that they wouldn't be able to grab their originals - which I fixed, by sending them to anyone that needed them. None of that was an assumption.

There should always be a warning for any changes made to any forum.

That's a very sweeping statement. I don't see why you should need a warning unless it's something you'd need to prepare for - which until after the event, we weren't aware this was. If I'd known users wouldn't have been able to grab their original posts then yes, I'd have given some warning, but if it wasn't the case then there's no reason not to go ahead and do it. The vast majority of you are not fragile old men living out their last days - you can easily survive a little unexpected change in your lives, especially when it has no real consequence on your overall quality of life. The Regimental forums are exactly the same as they were before, only with less posts per thread. Stop getting sentimental.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Clausewitz
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
I don't see why you should need a warning unless it's something you'd need to prepare for.

Alot of people seem to care about (what you call) minor changes. You might as well notify people instead of having to explain it multiple times to avoid confusion altogether. Doesn't seem to be that much of a hassle.

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:54 pm »
And maybe Blob. Just maybe, someone else might have foreseen the problems you did not. And then warned you about them so there would be no problems. But I guess we're not moderators so everything we say is just whiny bullshit.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:35 pm »
It was a minor change. It takes less than 30 seconds to pm a moderator for your OP, and under another 30 to make the new thread. In contrast, the community have been complaining about a small number of them having to make this one-minute sacrifice for over a week now. I totally agree that in hindsight some advance warning may have been useful given the complications that have arisen, but using that to justify the amount of abuse we received because of it is ridiculous. I personally have been sworn at and attacked as a result of that childish retaliation, and it's entirely disproportional to the actual effects of the new policy. A small number of forum users have reasonably requested that they be given more notice in the future, and as a result I'll likely try to do so in the future. But the way many users have gone about it - abusing us and demanding that we do so, as if simply creating an account on these forums entitles them to act like an entitled ass should they choose, is wholly disrespectful and entirely unnecessary.

We're only people, we're all volunteers, and we do make mistakes - just as every one of you do. Show us a little more respect and courtesy and we'll be far more inclined to give you what you want.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »
Yes some people are whining and insulting, but there are plenty of people offering up a good debate who are not necessarily assaulting you as a person, rather the Policy or the choices made (and how they were followed through).
Of course, I am pretty sure everyone realizes by now that it's a bummer, but it had to be done and we'll have to move on.
Hopefully we will see warnings or discussions concerning changes or problems in the future.
Also please note, that one could also splitt topics and thereby get rid of old posts whilst still keeping the OP and the latest posts. (but this is a slightly bit more work!)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:57 pm »
Blob, why are all your posts here so focused on justifying your actions, making excuses, telling us our complaints are dumb, talking about how there was nothing you could have done, on and on and on. Seriously, how hard is it to accept that you upset the community and you screwed up. You obviously did do that. Just take responsibility for your actions, Jesus Christ. Not only is this incredibly unprofessional, this is pretty immature. When you make someone upset or unhappy, you acknowledge it. This is how you deal with a problem. You do not try to convince us that our problems are insignificant and we're all dumb for caring about the things we care about. Jesus Christ, what is the issue here? You dun goofed. Now work from there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:02:15 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:44 pm »
I didn't feel that

Assumption right here.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:06 am »
Much h8. By the way Nipple, don't mention the Saviour's name in vain!
<3

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:15 am »
He's not hating.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2014, 12:38:25 am »
Nipplestockings, I've just got just as much right to defend my actions as you all do to complain about them. Calm the hell down and get on with your life. I've already agreed that in hindsight some warning may have been useful, however at the time I was unaware that it would cause such a major problem. I'm not even aware that it personally affected you, and if it did I can't imagine it would be anywhere near worth the effort you're putting into condemning me for it. No-one takes responsibility for their actions across the whole forum, least of all you. Take yourself off that pedestal and simmer down - you've got what you wanted, and next time we make a major policy change I'll make sure everyone's aware of it well in advance. Now chill out.
Spoiler
[close]