Weapon?

Sword!
84 (24.9%)
Musket!
174 (51.6%)
Pike!
79 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 334

Author Topic: The Century of War (Serverfiles are available)  (Read 197244 times)

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: [NW|M] The Century of War (NewTrailer/Screenshots on Pg.44)
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2014, 05:13:37 pm »
So amazing mod.. shame that its gonna be dead after 2 months  :'(

You are the reason why.

I got a positive reply already, I don't need negatives anymore.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

You are the reason why.

I got a positive reply already, I don't need negatives anymore.
Then don't be a fucking hypocrite and post the most negative thing anyone can say about a mod.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Waterbeetle

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Volumed
  • Side: Union
« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »

Still longer than Iron Europe. :P

Too soon?

You are the reason why.

Stop blaming the community for your own incompetence.

If everyone stops playing this mod, it will be our own fault the mod was just not good enough. Ofcourse the NW community is dying, but that is not the blame to the people, but to the poor management.

For a example Iron Europe did get a big part of the community back to the game, people that left before. But high expectations lead to big letdowns with the server problems, but I don't see Rigadoon blaming the community for their own mistake for not enough testing. You can also not blame the community for not patching if you give people such a letdown.

But that is all I can see you do all the time blaming others.

And to be honest this mod is also not going to be savior of the community.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2014, 09:48:07 pm »
Dude, just... stop right there. Please.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #709 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:27 pm »

Still longer than Iron Europe. :P

Too soon?

You are the reason why.

Stop blaming the community for your own incompetence.

If everyone stops playing this mod, it will be our own fault the mod was just not good enough. Ofcourse the NW community is dying, but that is not the blame to the people, but to the poor management.

For a example Iron Europe did get a big part of the community back to the game, people that left before. But high expectations lead to big letdowns with the server problems, but I don't see Rigadoon blaming the community for their own mistake for not enough testing. You can also not blame the community for not patching if you give people such a letdown.

But that is all I can see you do all the time blaming others.

And to be honest this mod is also not going to be savior of the community.

...Shut up. Please just shut the fuck up.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #710 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »
On the subject of 1600's mods the Deluge update is coming out soon.  ;)

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »
pls ppl staph fightin n b friendz
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:39:19 pm by OttoFIN »

Offline Ozzy

• Sergeant
  • 20th East Devonshire Lt Orvar
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ozzy/Orvar
« Reply #712 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:58 pm »
Great Event regards from "Jämtlands Regemete Till Fots"

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 14, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »
First off thank you hosting the event, we had fun despite the lack of a few regiments (not a fan of the Rome mod group of dudes sub group of dudes, more of a regiment A goes pikes reg B goes muskets guy) and it was an interesting fun thing.

Me and my guys had a discussion whilst dead and after it was over and basically have some feedback for this mod for you guys to chew over. We are aware you guys have a way to go before release too, this is just our general thoughts thoughts from playing:

The Artillery UI Cursor. I get that you guys want the player to just use the sights as a general area of fire marker and estimate the aiming stuff in their head but as it works now it is too open and vague. It sadly is quite useless and you might as well not have it.

Muskets. I know you don't want them to OP, you are sort of going for a combined arms thing for the moment but with the fork mechanic and general reload time they seem really awkward to use. Also, the sound effect for them is great but really really loud and needs toning down a little. Shaving a second off the time of undeploying the fort will help a lot.

Combat speed is a factor too, It seems anything but fast seems too awkward and slow for the melee weapons with anything not on fast. If you guys could work out a way to be able to brace and move pikes without breaking the brace that'd be grand too. Oh, and the shields for the round shield units are a bit too durable. Two musket shots directly to them should mess them up. People can pretty much just charge boldly into a musket line with those things without being stopped.

Also, I know this isn't as important not but for the future the regiments could do with a little more visual variety. Also, Musicians are sorely missed and we hope they will make a return of the mod. Oh, and remove the female taunts utterly if you don't have replacements as the English VA bark is very silly :p.

The maps from what I saw were very top notch, I love the fortress and the field pieces of the era.

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
« Reply #714 on: June 15, 2014, 12:46:50 am »
Bracing needs to allow turning without breaking it
More visual variety
Faster, longer swords
Artillery needs nerfing that isn't really inaccurate cannons
Claymores need to be faster
Shields need to be more fragile to bullets especially and in general
Have unfinished units have a sign not to be chosen
Combat in general is too slow, but it may just be the server
The fort needs steeper walls, so you don't just walk up the walls
Pikes need a minimum range
Pikes kill horses too slowly
Musicians?
Pikes in Imperial for Austist accuracy?
Cavalry swords are weak

Edit: the above is a summary of the points below.

Here's my feedback after the test event, in no particular order.
Pike bracing is utterly useless right now. This is an NW issue, but in this mod, where pikes and cavalry will clash a lot, bracing would be a really nice if it was possible to turn the pike quite a lot more before the pike is raised and useless. The Deluge mod actually has a very nice pike bracing mechanic where you press b and lose all mobility until you press it again to unbrace the pike. Combat is also really slow and unresponsive at the moment, but that may just be an issue of the server running on medium combat speed. Swords are also too short and too slow, you can't actually kill anyone unless you get someone from behind when formations merge.

Now shields. Shields are far too resilient to bullets. I think they ought to either break instantally on being shot, or be barely affected, because bullets are not going to affect a shield in terms of actually being able to block. They are also extremely resilient to general blows, I didn't even get any indicator my shield was damaged in some of the heavy fighting in the river. Claymores are too slow and the animation has them holding the blade, I'm summing this is an oversight due to being what looks like a re-modelled axe.

For the sake of players not being banned or playing as the wrong class, I'd recommend having placeholder or something similar to high light which units should not be played.

Also, while the fort we played was nice, it had the issue of the walls being climb-able, which made defending it near impossible and it's easier to attack than the defend.
I also found during the random brawls before the event that pikes weren't that useful in killing horses, I was taking at least 3 stabs to kill the horses of the cavalry that attacked me, to the point where I'd have been better off using a gun. I also found that cavalry swords seemed a bit weak, taking too long if dismounted to be a competitive weapon against the swords used by the line. I would suggest having it at a higher damage than it is now, but still lower than the infantry swords, with a slower speed and longer range to make it more useful while on horseback.

Also, are musicians an option? I'd quite like to have a drummer that would increase the speed or defence of formations, to make them a more worthwhile than the blobs we favoured during the event. Another less mechanical thing would be having pike length in Imperial, seeing as the Metric system wasn't invented for another 150 years, but this isn't important and may only be for the sake of the majority of the world using Metric now to describe a distance.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:42:19 pm by Hazzard »

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #715 on: June 15, 2014, 12:54:53 am »
tl;dr

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 15, 2014, 12:55:44 am »
If you don't read feedback, how are you going to improve a mod?

Offline KArantukki

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Chaotic Evil
    • View Profile
  • Nick: KArantukki
« Reply #717 on: June 15, 2014, 01:00:09 am »
Thanks for your feedback, in the next days i will balance the weapons and work on the artillery. The invisible units are there because we havent managed to delete them, well of course we can delete them like we did with many other units but than we have the problem that the swedish sapper wont work anymore. I will try to replace the surrender animation with a pikeanimation like this (wich kill horses):
Spoiler
[close]

We havent thought about musicians yet, its very hard to find sounds wich are suitable.

Offline DanyEle

• FSE Associate
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
« Reply #718 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:12 am »
Thanks for your feedback, in the next days i will balance the weapons and work on the artillery. The invisible units are there because we havent managed to delete them, well of course we can delete them like we did with many other units but than we have the problem that the swedish sapper wont work anymore. I will try to replace the surrender animation with a pikeanimation like this (wich kill horses):
Spoiler
[close]

We havent thought about musicians yet, its very hard to find sounds wich are suitable.

Tukki, we had a similar problem in Iron Europe with removing units but it's easier than you might think. Just set the faction of said unit to fac_neutral. This would remove the unit from the game without affecting the game mechanics.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:48 am »
Great. I believe with the right tweaking you can certainly pull off the perfect combined arms with pike, musket, cannon and cav of this era :).

Keep up the great work. Mod shows promise.