Author Topic: Favourite All Time Leader(s)  (Read 101235 times)

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favourite All Time Leader(s)
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »
Focşani and Rymnik were fought in 1789. In both cases Suvorov was outnumbered by the Turks by at least 3:1.

The entire Russian army may have been a million strong, but they never committed anywhere near that many in the theatre of operations. Both Russian and Turkish sources cite 100,000 Russians total against 97,000 - granted, a Russian advantage.

"281,000" is the figure attributed to the Ottoman Army in 1877-78.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
Focşani and Rymnik were fought in 1789. In both cases Suvorov was outnumbered by the Turks by at least 3:1.

The entire Russian army may have been a million strong, but they never committed anywhere near that many in the theatre of operations. Both Russian and Turkish sources cite 100,000 Russians total against 97,000 - granted, a Russian advantage.

"281,000" is the figure attributed to the Ottoman Army in 1877-78.

Sorry for my ignorance, im not so good in Turkish-Russian wars! I was checking the wars he had fought because it was really impressing with 0 loss, then I came across wikipedia and misunderstood stuff :P

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 06:31:44 pm »
Buenaventura Durruti - Anarchist leader of the Durutti Collumn during the Spanish Civil War, took Catalonia and successfully implemented Anarchism, they rushed in the defense of Madrid and helped repulse the Nationalist attack.
He was quite an inspirational leader, too bad he got shot by a sniper early on in the civil war.

Doesn't Anarchists and leaders usually not get along very well?

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 07:54:51 pm »
Doesn't Anarchists and leaders usually not get along very well?

When they started organising the Columns, They organised in groups of 10 and 10 groups would be called a Century.
The Group leader was the person who was nominated as your Group leader.
Then the 10 groups that made up the Century, nominated a Century delegate aka Commander.
Out of Friendship, or trust, or because of the persons personality, abilities etc someone would be chosen as commander.
Then it was same as usual, you had a proper commander chosen for his merit and orders were given and carried out.

“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline 34th Artimus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2013, 04:31:32 am »
There are quite a few for me here...

1. Alexander the Great: As a military commander, in my eyes there has never been a man better. The odds he was stacked against both at home and abroad, and yet he led his army to victory after victory, conquering the largest empire in the known world in just a matter of years. I think his qualities as a king were lacking, however. He should have payed more attention to his people and a little less on conquering everything in sight.

2. Julius Caesar: Caesar knew both how to control an army and to control an empire. His term as dictator in the final years as the Republic heralded the end of that same Republic and his military conquest of Gaul followed by a huge civil war in which he defeated all of his opponents are incredibly worthy feats. I wonder what he could have accomplished if he had lived long enough to invade Parthia.

3. Subutai: The little I know about the Mongol commander doesn't detract from the fact he never lost a battle (I think). Subutai was the real Mongol threat from that entire horde. I feel sorry for all those thousands who went against him.

4. Erwin Rommel: I like his abilities as a general in North Africa. He was all that kept the Germans and Italians there from a complete and total defeat. If he had still been alive and in charge of the Normandy defenses during D-Day, I have a feeling it might have gone differently for the allies.

Those are mine for the time being. I know I have many more than that, but I don't want to mass post.

Offline Hawkes

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »
Sun Tzu - just because I love his book.  :-[

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:32 pm »
4. Erwin Rommel: I like his abilities as a general in North Africa. He was all that kept the Germans and Italians there from a complete and total defeat. If he had still been alive and in charge of the Normandy defenses during D-Day, I have a feeling it might have gone differently for the allies.

Rommel was alive in June '44, and he wanted to concentrate the defense at Pont-de-Calais. Had he not been on leave at the time though, they may have released the armour in reserve earlier than they did.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:45 pm »
So you could say Rommels wifes birthday cost them the war?

Nicht slecht.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 12:06:31 am »
He was also responsible for the defences against Glider units landing in Normandy. 'Rommel's asparagus' were wooden poles set up in fields (some of which I think he flooded) that were meant to tear apart a landing glider.

Of course, in the end, the airborne landings were disasters anyway, even if it did end up advantageous as the scattered paratrooper attacks gave the Germans the impression they were fighting a lot more men than they actually were.

I like Rommel too though. Particularly for the ideal of Krieg ohne Hass.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Skott

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skott
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
I have a lot of leaders that i like! But as I finds it to hard to do them in rank order I will just post my top 5 in random order:

1. Napoleon Bonaparte

2. Arthur Wellesley (more known as Duke of Wellington)

3. Horatio Nelson

4. Karl XII (a Swedish king 1682-1718)

5. George Washington

I chose those most because I like the time around 1700s to 1850s.
England expects that every man will do his DUTY.
 - Horatio Nelson

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:30 am »
So you could say Rommels wifes birthday cost them the war?

Nicht slecht.
Hitler having person control of 2 key panzer divisions cost them the battle for normandy and in turn the war.

Favourite leaders:

Vladimir Illych Ulyanov (Lenin)

Erwin Rommel

Alexander the Great

Napoleon

Marchal Lannes

Marshall Zhukov

Frederick the Great
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:29:37 am by Frederickson »

Offline 34th Artimus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:33 am »
Bumping with a couple more.

1. Napoleon Bonaparte I: Our very own Napoleon has to take this list, as a general at the time, there were few men who could be equal. We speak in awe of his victories at battles such as Austerlitz, and his fine campaigning where he won battle after battle despite eventually losing the war when the Coalition had him on the run in France.

2. Arthur Wellesley: The Duke of Wellington is well remembered for his defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo, but it's for his earlier achievements that I bring him into this. His siege of Gawilghur (Spelling?) in India is no mean feat, as well as the battle of Assaye, which he always used to say was his toughest battle when people would ask him of it. His campaign through Portugal, Spain and eventually France is another example of his genius, managing to beat every Marshal Napoleon sent against him, even ousting the false King Joseph Bonaparte from Spain. And when he was finally matched against Napoleon, it was the good old Duke who bested him.

3. Trajan: The Roman Emperor who brought the Empire to its greatest extent upon his death in 117. He conducted a successful campaign against the Dacian kingdom, who were renowned for their savage fighting skills, having beaten Rome in a previous war and wiping out an entire legion. His subsequent invasion of Parthia was incredibly successful as far as Parthian campaigns go. He annexed Armenia as a Roman province, deposing the Parthian proclaimed king of the region and accepting the submission of multiple tribes in the area. He then began a conquest of Mesopotamia, taking the great cities of Babylon, Seleucia and finally, the Parthian capital of Ctesiphon itself. He even managed to depose the Parthian king, and wipe out a surge of resistance from the nephew of said king. It is a shame he wasn't a younger man, or he could have continued on with his conquest.

4. Alexander Suvorov: This Russian commander is one of few men who is famed for never losing a battle in his entire career. His tactics often employed decisive charges with the bayonet, preferring not to rely on musketry too much. And while my history on Suvorov is sadly lacking, even I can realise his genius. Once again, if he had been but a little younger, perhaps Napoleon wouldn't have had such success as he experienced.

Offline Diplex

• Vital Supporter
  • Colonel Edward B. Fowler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2013, 08:49:49 am »
Adolf Hitler and Bony.

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:46 am »
Lasalle

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »
Adolf Hitler.
Eh? His own generals resented his control over the army. As they put it, he was a corporal leading an army, and he was a major reason Germany lost WWII. His direct control over the eastern front destroyed any chance the Germans had of winning. Although he got Germany on its feet after the post-WWI depression (no small feat), he was a cruddy military leader. Also, he was a mass-murderer. As far as evil goes, he fits the bill pretty well.

Personally, one of my favorite leaders is Jan Zizka. I also like Suvorov, but I feel Zizka is under-appreciated. Zizka pioneered mobile defensive warfare, using new technology (handgonnes and artillery) and new tactics (war wagons) to great effect. He lost both of his eyes, and led his forces blind while never losing a single battle (alongside Alexander the Great, Scipio Africanus, Genghis Khan, Alexander Suvorov, and Khalid ibn al-Walid). A typical example of a battle he fought would be Kunta Hora. It is typical because Zizka's peasantry is outnumbered 10-1, they are fighting the creme of the Hapsburg army (knights), and they win, inflicting heavy casualties.