Poll

Who do you consider to be the greatest hero of the war?

Sir Issac Brock
William Henry Harrison
Laura Secord
Charles de Salabery
James Madison
Tecumseh

Author Topic: The War of 1812 Historic Discussion [New Poll!]  (Read 21812 times)

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
The War of 1812 Historic Discussion [New Poll!]
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:21:42 am »
Aside from colour and color there is always one thing that Americans, Canadians and Brits can always argue about...The War of 1812.
So I invite you to discus who won (try and give reasons pl0x) the war. To get the ball rolling I'll start us off....

POLLS

1st Poll = Who won the War of 1812?

Noone did as it was a white peace! = 11 (12.9%)

Canada/ England Won the War! = 34 (40%)

WOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOO MURICA WON!!!!!!!!!!! = 11 (12.9%)

Noone won but it really sucked for the Native tribes = 19 (22.4%)

Wtf is the war of 1812? = 10 (11.8%)

CANADA WON THE WAR!!!!!!

Here are my reasons as to why we CLEARLY won the war
1. The Americans Invaded our country in an attempt to gain land and failed to do so
2. We burnt all public buildings in their capital
3. We held of three invasion attempts
4. At wars end we were invading the attacking country

So yea..... that is why I think we won the War of 1812!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:54:43 am by Conway »

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Who won the war of 1812? (Had to be done)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:24:58 am »
My understanding is that it was a tie between US and Canada, but as the US were the invaders I could see interpreting that as a victory for Canada. But whoever won, the Native Americans lost.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:34:49 am »
My understanding is that it was a tie between US and Canada, but as the US were the invaders I could see interpreting that as a victory for Canada. But whoever won, the Native Americans lost.

This pretty much. The US also came off worse because a lot of their infrastructure and cities were damaged or destroyed. It was a pretty insignificant war, though. The only people who care about it anymore are the Canadians, and that's because it's the only major conflict to ever have taken place on their homeland. lel

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:15:00 am »
Considering Britain was technically in the defense here and the Muricans failed to conquer anything as well as losing several battles on their own soil, I definitely would say Britain (and not Canada, which was merely a colony) won the war.

I get why Canadians love to say they (Canada) won the war, but that would be rather silly as all the regulars were British. I don't think Canada would have fared so well without the British army.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:22:00 am »
Britain was invaded and defended her colony, drove the Americans back to their own soil, won several battles and then burnt the white house. Since America had declared war to conquer Canada when Britain was at her most vulnerable fighting Napoleon, the definatley lost the war and Britain won as defenders. The Native Americans were the biggest losers since British politicians thought helping them wasn't worth another war with America. A unfitting thank you to those Natives who'd fought with the British.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »
In terms of the actual reasons for war, both America and Britan were able to achieve their goals. America declared war because Britain had been kidnapping and forcing American sailors into the British Navy. Britain had also imposed trade restrictions between France and the United States which was seen by many as illegal in international law. Britain also still maintained outposts in what was American frontier territory. Despite famous British victories that led to the White House being burnt down, America had achieved enough during the war for Britain to settle for peace. In terms of land, the war ended in status quo, Britain had agreed to cease impressment of American sailors, as well as the abandonment of British outposts in American territory. In exchange, America withdrew troops from British Canada and enter an agreement with Britain to work towards ending the international slave trade.

The war fell into a stalemate leading to both countries eagerly wanting to sue for peace, British invasions of Maine, Maryland, and technically Louisiana had been defeated while several American invasions of Canada had been defeated. The only lasting victory that any side gained during the war was the American victory over Native American tribes allied to Britain, resulting in there being no possibility of a united Indian confederacy.

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
  • Don't expect much out of me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_SoPV_Bruin
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:35:51 am »
2. We burnt all public buildings in their capital
3. We held of three invasion attempts

So yea..... that is why I think we won the War of 1812!
lel #1 Washington D.C. was still like a town. It wasn't a city yet. So woohoo you burnt down Washington; when Boston, New York, and Philadelphia where bigger.

lel #2 that's why at the battle of New Orleans Andrew Jackson fought you guys off.
Spoiler
[close]
So don't say
when we pushed you out of the Mississippi.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »
battle of New Orleans

You mean the one that happened after peace was declared?
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
Also would like to point out how the US failed its main goal of invading Canada and Britain held on to it colony. You can't say "Well we won more battles" because here's something that no one really knows about the war. When negotiations were being held in Ghent England was going to ask for northern Main, Minnesota and all land around the great lakes to form a Nation for the native tribes to live in. Why did this not happen? Because England refused Russia and Prussia land in Europe so they decided not to take land from their victory in NA as it would be very hypocritical on tier part.

PS: You can't say the battle of New Orleans did helps your case seeing the war had ended when it began.

Offline Alpharion

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Jnafu Ajunf Najfu Fanju Ufanj
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »
Right.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 06:39:30 pm »
Not militarily but I feel the US Won or atleast came out of it stronger than before. The end of the war ushered in a new sense of national unity and confidence. The "Era of good feeling" as it was gave Americans the confidence and the feel of divine right to push west. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Era_of_Good_Feelings

You could also say something similar about Canada and how it national identity began to take shape out of the defense of their homeland.

Really its a gray area. All you can say for sure is the Indians on both sides lost.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:42:07 pm by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:59 pm »
The problem is that both countries both teach in school that their own country won the war.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 08:27:00 pm »
The problem is that both countries both teach in school that their own country won the war.

That's not true. If a teacher even bothers covering the war (often they won't) they'll teach that it ended in status quo, which is true. Admittedly it will have some pro-American bias like "USA USA we kicked them out of our lands at the end!" but it'd never taught that we straight out won. Really the war is just passed over here. Nobody really considers it important enough to talk about for more than a single class period.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Also would like to point out how the US failed its main goal of invading Canada and Britain held on to it colony. You can't say "Well we won more battles" because here's something that no one really knows about the war. When negotiations were being held in Ghent England was going to ask for northern Main, Minnesota and all land around the great lakes to form a Nation for the native tribes to live in. Why did this not happen? Because England refused Russia and Prussia land in Europe so they decided not to take land from their victory in NA as it would be very hypocritical on tier part.

PS: You can't say the battle of New Orleans did helps your case seeing the war had ended when it began.

The US goal of the war wasn't to take Canada, likewise the British didn't want to take any American land. And do not say that Britain had won a victory in North America as virtually all historians agree that the war was a stalemate. All British campaigns on American land were defeated as well as all American campaigns on British land, with the exception of American victories over British sponsored Natives.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »
The US goal of the war wasn't to take Canada

Uhm...Yes it was. Sure, it's claimed that they started a war because they were tired of the British navy pressing 'Americans' into their service, but the only thing they did was apprehend British deserters and this had pretty much stopped as the war was ending. Another reason is trade blockades but those had also been lifted just before the war.