Author Topic: What should children be taught? (History)  (Read 23504 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What should children be taught? (History)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:58 pm »
Pff. The Batavian Revolution was years earlier.
Errrr... WAT? plz mark irony next time.

Nah. The Dutch Republic was in an undeclared civil war between 1783 and 1787, with the anti-Orangists (or Patriots, as they called themselves) effectively taking over the country in '87, only to be kicked out by a Prussian intervention. They fled the country and settled in France, where they rather enthusiastically joined the French Revolution which some people claim was 'inspired' by the Batavian Revolution. To be honest, I consider that unlikely, but it's still not true that the first 'anti-monarch' revolution happened in France in 1789.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
The French weren't the first european nation to depose it's king, kill him and declare a republic.

Just look at the English civil War, nuff said. But that is completely offtopic.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 04:58:46 pm »
The French weren't the first european nation to depose it's king, kill him and declare a republic.

Just look at the English civil War, nuff said. But that is completely offtopic.
Dis.

But these prior revolutions did not really export to europe. French one did, you can't deny that.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
The first revolution involved within the Enlightenment period, then? I dunno. You're right anyway.

No, the American Revolution doesn't count because that wasn't a revolution, at all.

But these prior revolutions did not really export to europe. French one did, you can't deny that.

That's true. It was sorta 'imported' into the Netherlands. The Batavian Republic was declared with the French army at the doorstep of the capital, pretty much.
"Mon ami, we are giving your freedom!" "Aah, thanks, but we already took it yesterday. Have a nice trip back home!".

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
  • Don't expect much out of me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_SoPV_Bruin
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:11 pm »
I just know this from my experience through school. (American standpoint) Also many schools in America have different curriculum so my school might of thought different units and different subjects at different times or did or didn't teach us something another school did. But this is what my High School-Middle School thought me.

1st Grade-7th Grade is very vague all I remember is learning of other nations culture's, religion, Government, and a little bit of Politics.

8th Grade American History- Colonization of America, The Pilgrims, 7 Years War (French & Indian), American Revolution, Lee's Rebellion, and American Civil War.

9th Grade (Freshman)- I took Humanities- Post WWII, Modern, Classical Babylon, Classical Greece, Classical Rome, and Religion.

10th Grade (Sophmore)- Modern European History- I believe we started around 1400's with Absolutism, Protestant Reformation, Italian Renascence, Sale of Indulgences, Martin Luther, Industrialization, Unification of Italy, Franco-Prussian War, Bismark, Kaiser Wilhelm, Unification of Germany, WWI, Propaganda, WWII, Cold War, and then the Establishment of the EU.

11th Grade (Junior) American History- Started around late 1800's after the Civil War (Because we "learned" about the Civil War and Revolutionary War in 8th Grade) then moved up the ladder towards Womens Suffrage, Child Labor, Industrialization with JP Morgan and the Rockefeller's, Texaco, Railway system, Teddy Roosevelt, and then took a break and started learning about Laws, Politics, Constitution, Bill of Rights, and other misc. things like that. Then wen't back to WWI (which was mainly about Europe's point of view didn't learn much about the early parts with America) Then the Great depression and the trickle down effect. Then we jumped to Modern Times with learning about Terrorism with the Mujaheddin and al Qaeda; with their roots and how they formed. Then a bit of Osama Bin Laden and his hatred towards the Western World, how he got his money, where did he train and stuff like that. Then moved towards our mistakes in Afghanistan and how we could of and should of gotten Bin Laden at Torah Borra and that we relied on the Afghans and Pakistan's when we shouldn't have. Then talked a little on how we should have went to war with Al Qaeda after the bombing of the USS Cole and the Kenyan Embassy Attack. All within the 90's and how if Bill Clinton wasn't an idiot and worried about his public ego for being cough cheating on his wife we probably could of prevented 9/11. Then we moved down to the 80's with the movements like Women Rights and other things. We ran out of time and didn't get to learn/talk about Vietnam, Korea, or WWII.

12th Grade (Senior) Government- Just talk about the U.S. Government and how we can prevent inflation, checks and balances, and other stuff.

Now I probably left out a lot of things but I think I got a lot down.

But I truly do think majority of American's don't know much about what their history is or the USA history, or are able to point Ukraine out on a map. But I think the school curriculum here does get the job done. Now yes we may be more bias when it come to war like the Civil War because I live in the North; my school is gonna lean more to the Union the rather a southern school is gonna lean more to the Confederacy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:42:35 pm by Bruin »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »
To be honest I cant complain about my high school history classes. Yes its basic and just gives an overview but its effective in giving a general flow to history. To be honest and I doubt many will agree on this but I believe history really isnt all that important in schools. Yes it must be taught but I would rather see more effort go into more practical skills. So what if a good amount of people arent good at history or cant point out Ukerain on a map? Were a completely functioning society without that.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:39 pm »
To be honest I cant complain about my high school history classes. Yes its basic and just gives an overview but its effective in giving a general flow to history. To be honest and I doubt many will agree on this but I believe history really isnt all that important in schools. Yes it must be taught but I would rather see more effort go into more practical skills. So what if a good amount of people arent good at history or cant point out Ukerain on a map? Were a completely functioning society without that.
While it is important to learn practical, everyday skills, I would argue having a decent to great knowledge on historical subjects is even more important. Its a cliche but I'll be damned if it isn't true: those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. Children are the future (another cliche huehuehue) and they are taking over the future governments and future problems. The majority of my peers (and not to sound smug or euphoric) are complete idiots in history who have paid little attention to the subject. Hell, I have been insulted many times using the American slur "communist" and when I try to explain my ideological differences, it goes over their goddamn head. And these are people who want to be functional members of society. It is an ignorance of past events (such as governmental manipulation, fabricated claims for imperialistic goals) that leads to...sheeple. This allows an easy manipulated people who are, of course, soft targets for any megalomaniac who does know his/her history. I honestly feel if a teacher isn't teaching history to his students in a way that creates some sort a massive passion (anger/sadness--like myself. Or, something on the complete other side on the spectrum--cold, calculated justification for past horrors) then you end up with a mob of neutral, happy little lambs.

But hey, it's just me.
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 02:41:00 am »
Honestly, I believe students should have a moderate understanding of global history and a considerable understanding of their own history so that they might learn from the past and better their world and nation. This is idealistic, of course.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »
National history is always slanted with a patriotic touch, we don't need to be creating more nationalists in this day and age. If people need history, then they also need more humanities which people here would consider useless.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »
National history is always slanted with a patriotic touch, we don't need to be creating more nationalists in this day and age. If people need history, then they also need more humanities which people here would consider useless.

Words of wisdom, you can see that especially in the UK with the increasingly heavy emphasis on "British values" in education, particularly history. Broader humanities are vital, though even these can be subjected to nationalistic tendencies.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

Words of wisdom, you can see that especially in the UK with the increasingly heavy emphasis on "British values" in education, particularly history. Broader humanities are vital, though even these can be subjected to nationalistic tendencies.
In Germany we have the opposite of that happening. ::)
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:02 am »
My high school History teacher kicked me out after the 3rd day and told me to sit in study hall I had an A for the semester. She told me that at 16, I knew more about World History than she did. I had her later for Government class and she gave it a day before doing the same thing.

I certainly am not "gifted". I just put in a lot of effort to learn theory and perspective. Overall, I think she just wasn't prepared for a 16-17yo that read Chomsky on a regular basis.

Most things you learn in life are achieved in an idependent capacity.

“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:42 am »
That Hitler was right.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
That Hitler was right.
Hey man, different strokes for different folks
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
While it is important to learn practical, everyday skills, I would argue having a decent to great knowledge on historical subjects is even more important. Its a cliche but I'll be damned if it isn't true: those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. Children are the future (another cliche huehuehue) and they are taking over the future governments and future problems. The majority of my peers (and not to sound smug or euphoric) are complete idiots in history who have paid little attention to the subject. Hell, I have been insulted many times using the American slur "communist" and when I try to explain my ideological differences, it goes over their goddamn head. And these are people who want to be functional members of society. It is an ignorance of past events (such as governmental manipulation, fabricated claims for imperialistic goals) that leads to...sheeple. This allows an easy manipulated people who are, of course, soft targets for any megalomaniac who does know his/her history. I honestly feel if a teacher isn't teaching history to his students in a way that creates some sort a massive passion (anger/sadness--like myself. Or, something on the complete other side on the spectrum--cold, calculated justification for past horrors) then you end up with a mob of neutral, happy little lambs.

But hey, it's just me.

This whole belief about our generation being idiots and unprepared to take on the roles of leaders in society... It's... It's just plain incorrect. It is a fact that 99% of people in any society ever were completely inept and utterly unable to make a responsible decision if their life depended on it. This is true today and it will always be true. The thing is, these 99% of people are natural followers. These people are not the ones who rise to positions in government, invent great things in the name of progress, or create great works of art. These are the people who are drafted into the military and die. They do what they're told for the whole life and live their lives poor and unskilled.

Our generation is just like any other - no better and no worse. We will have our great men, our prodigies, our maniacs - this doesn't mean there will be a surplus of any of these. The intelligence of the human race has been increasing consistently with the millennia and we have access to the greatest resources ever available to the average person. To say that this generation is doomed to fail is frankly ridiculous. Sure, many people are uneducated and don't know history, or can't even find their own country on a map, but that's an all time high for the human race. Three hundred years ago 99% of people could expect never to leave their isolated villages a single time in their lives. If they ever left it was to be drafted in the King's army to die a horrible death for a cause they didn't know existed before being called to arms. How could you say this generation is off badly? We have the most potential for smashing success of any generation in human history.

And the thing is, EVERYONE who thinks they're hot shit talks about how bad this generation is. I would think something like 30% of people in the western world have not uttered the words "my gen sucks" or "doomed to failure", or something along those lines. Everyone is thinking the same thing as if they're unique and the only saviors of the human race, but the thing is that simply the fact that so many people agree on the same thing shows that we are set up to achieve the greatest things ever imagined, and probably things that the human mind at this stage in our history cannot even properly comprehend.

Have some optimism - we'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:27:46 pm by Nipplestockings »