16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 979924 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #14 Knives)
« Reply #945 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »
The plan is to finish both the French and German factions followed by Britain.Once all those factions are fleshed out we plan on adding other factions such as russia ect.But we might add them :) in the far furture.
In my opinion I  think it's pointless to add Russia as they left the war in 1917, and it's equipment was very irregular. I think it was literally one weapon to two people.
Same in WW2  ;D
What would the 2nd guy be good for then?
Picking up his buddies gun after he dies?
Basically, yes.

This is the worst "Enemy at the Gates" propaganda I've ever heard. I hate hearing it time and time again. Sure the Russians may have lacked heavy equipment at times, but the whole "Man with a rifle, man with the ammo" bullshit runs rampant. There were no shortages of bolt action rifles for anyone in either war.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline VonTawast

• First Sergeant
  • ''An officer doesn't run.''
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oltermanni
« Reply #946 on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:56 am »
What I heard, they used the Mosin Nagant rifle, which at the time was incredibly cheap to produce.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #947 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:28 am »
What I heard, they used the Mosin Nagant rifle, which at the time was incredibly cheap to produce.

Probably the cheapest gun to produce in WWI and WWII, yet one of the best. Surprisingly.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #948 on: April 03, 2013, 01:46:53 am »

Probably the cheapest gun to produce in WWI and WWII, yet one of the best. Surprisingly.

I'm sure the designer of it did that on purpose. ::)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:23 am »
Lol, right? Hmmm... This gun is probably going to suck if it only costs 150 ruebels to make. BAM BOOM POW! Best gun for 40 years... Lol.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 03, 2013, 05:24:11 am »
The MN is great. Huge kick and a very simple rifle. But after doing a bit of research on the Russians in WWII, they get a bad rep, although it's not all unfounded. I can't wait to play as them in IE.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #951 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:50 am »
The plan is to finish both the French and German factions followed by Britain.Once all those factions are fleshed out we plan on adding other factions such as russia ect.But we might add them :) in the far furture.
In my opinion I  think it's pointless to add Russia as they left the war in 1917, and it's equipment was very irregular. I think it was literally one weapon to two people.
Same in WW2  ;D
What would the 2nd guy be good for then?
Picking up his buddies gun after he dies?
Basically, yes.

This is the worst "Enemy at the Gates" propaganda I've ever heard. I hate hearing it time and time again. Sure the Russians may have lacked heavy equipment at times, but the whole "Man with a rifle, man with the ammo" bullshit runs rampant. There were no shortages of bolt action rifles for anyone in either war.
Well then, allow me to flesh out my sentence. In such a scenario as mentioned, yes, there is little for the "second man" to do. That is not to say however, that the said scenario happened with any sort of regularity in either World War. On the contrary, Russia had large quantities of SMGs (like the PPsh 41) that, especially as the war progressed, it equipped its troops with. Let alone bolt-actions. I also don't think they really "lacked" much of anything, if anything it would be more of problem with getting it to the soldier, rather than producing it in the first place.
I also think Russia would be an interesting faction to add in IE, though, at least in my opinion, should defiantly come after other additional factions like Britain and America. ( ;) )

tl;dr
Screw me, and add Russia eventually.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Archibald_Buchanan

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 03, 2013, 11:38:46 pm »
Cant wait for trench-war. Will officers have whistles for charges?

Offline Japan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Japan
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #953 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:55 am »
I hope not. Don't want them to keep playing it none stop and annoying the others.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 04, 2013, 12:16:48 am »
I hope not. Don't want them to keep playing it none stop and annoying the others.

+1 I don't want to hear non-stop whistles when I play.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:28 am »

In 1914 the Russian army had more men than rifles, by a difference of about two million (six versus four), so when Russia launched its general advance, the reinforcements arriving often did not have anything to fight with besides their entrenching tools. The primary issue at the front though was ammunition and lack of artillery support, aerial reconnaissance, and an inability to encode communications properly (the Germans knew what they were doing at practically every step). The image then - if you need one - shouldn't be two men with one rifle, but two men with rifles and bayonets fixed but with empty magazines standing watch in a trench while a third man below digs.

Enemy at the Gates however couldn't have gotten it less correct. Soldiers were already armed before reaching the Volga, and in fact the 62nd Army had more weapons and ammunition than men in September. There was a shortage of food though, especially for the civilian population, since the Internal Forces conducted such a successful and early "grain victory" by evacuating stores and silos across the Volga, that there was a lull before the battle got underway and accurate supply could be calculated that severe rationing had to go into effect. Minor cases of theft and looting naturally took place and, under martial law, the Internal Forces shot these desperate people on sight. Unlike in the film though, army deserters would almost always be returned to their unit by the blocking detachments that caught them. To give a sense of proportion, on the "Stalingrad Front" as of 15th October 1942, 15,649 people were detained by blocking units: 244 were imprisoned, 278 were shot, 218 were sent to penal companies (of regular battalions), 42 were sent to penal battalions, and the remaining 14,833 were returned to their original units. So the scene where infantry are fired on by their own battalion-level Maxims is something out of a Warhammer 40K codex, and not any account of Stalingrad.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 04, 2013, 04:14:00 am »
Well, it was an awful, awful, awful movie, not even considering the inaccuracies. What'dya expect?

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #957 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:36 am »
Well, it was an awful, awful, awful movie, not even considering the inaccuracies. What'dya expect?

Oh Docm, we love you. We aaaall love you, Docm...

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 04, 2013, 06:32:55 am »
Seriously. If you want to see a movie about the Russian front, see a Russian one. Like Come and See or Ivan's Childhood.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 04, 2013, 07:21:52 am »

In 1914 the Russian army had more men than rifles, by a difference of about two million (six versus four), so when Russia launched its general advance, the reinforcements arriving often did not have anything to fight with besides their entrenching tools. The primary issue at the front though was ammunition and lack of artillery support, aerial reconnaissance, and an inability to encode communications properly (the Germans knew what they were doing at practically every step). The image then - if you need one - shouldn't be two men with one rifle, but two men with rifles and bayonets fixed but with empty magazines standing watch in a trench while a third man below digs.

Enemy at the Gates however couldn't have gotten it less correct. Soldiers were already armed before reaching the Volga, and in fact the 62nd Army had more weapons and ammunition than men in September. There was a shortage of food though, especially for the civilian population, since the Internal Forces conducted such a successful and early "grain victory" by evacuating stores and silos across the Volga, that there was a lull before the battle got underway and accurate supply could be calculated that severe rationing had to go into effect. Minor cases of theft and looting naturally took place and, under martial law, the Internal Forces shot these desperate people on sight. Unlike in the film though, army deserters would almost always be returned to their unit by the blocking detachments that caught them. To give a sense of proportion, on the "Stalingrad Front" as of 15th October 1942, 15,649 people were detained by blocking units: 244 were imprisoned, 278 were shot, 218 were sent to penal companies (of regular battalions), 42 were sent to penal battalions, and the remaining 14,833 were returned to their original units. So the scene where infantry are fired on by their own battalion-level Maxims is something out of a Warhammer 40K codex, and not any account of Stalingrad.

I knew very well of the horrible logistics, planning, and communication during WWI, but not of rifles and ammunition.

Stalingrad talk below.

Spoiler
Army Group South, Fall Blau, and the Stalingrad area of operations including the battle for the city itself is where my knowledge is the strongest, so you're very correct. A very famous Division in Stalingrad, the 13th Guards Division (portrayed in the movie as well as many video games) are seen in pictures with their signature loadout of greatcoats, helmets, PPShs, and a gas mask bag.
Spoiler

[close]

Starvation was a large problem for both sides in Stalingrad and the best way to feed the troops were to drop canisters and crates by air, although the amount of anti-aircraft capabilities by both sides were devastatingly huge.

I read a story about German troops in the Red October Factory complex noticing that the Russians holding their narrow strip of land on the banks of the Volga would show where they were by fires and would be dropped supplies. So the Germans did it themselves and received food that way until the Russians caught on.

Speaking of food, if not for the Lend-Lease program, thousands or more Russians would've starved to death during the Winter of '41 up until later in the war. The most recognizable item being... Spam. Yep.
[close]