16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 979629 times)

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Iron Europe - WWI Mod
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »
To extend on to the above question, will there also be the option of sprinting? After playing on a custom trench map on NW I realised it is near impossible to run at a group of entrenched infantrymen with muskets let alone accurate bolt action rifles and machine guns, so I hope there will be a sprint mode so my Sturmtruppen can raid trenches and get into hand to hand combat before being shot to bits when they climb out the trench.   ;)

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2012, 02:25:01 pm »
To extend on to the above question, will there also be the option of sprinting? After playing on a custom trench map on NW I realised it is near impossible to run at a group of entrenched infantrymen with muskets let alone accurate bolt action rifles and machine guns, so I hope there will be a sprint mode so my Sturmtruppen can raid trenches and get into hand to hand combat before being shot to bits when they climb out the trench.   ;)

Sprinting is pretty much impossible to code, cause warband only support 2 movement types: Walk / Run  :-[

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:31 pm »
Damn, that's going to hamper the fighting a lot, seeing as initially there will only be a handful of players like the start of N&S, if theres a machine-gun squad either side, the MG-08 and Lewis guns are going to have to either be reduced or players will rage-quit over dying anytime they pop their head over, Guessing this is why there isn't that many World War One mods on most games. But heres hoping there is a way to get round the sprinting, If the admin horse can run faster than an ordinary horse and the admin tools on PW4 allow the admins to run 2x as fast as standard players, I'm sure there must be some way around it.  :P

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
Damn, that's going to hamper the fighting a lot, seeing as initially there will only be a handful of players like the start of N&S, if theres a machine-gun squad either side, the MG-08 and Lewis guns are going to have to either be reduced or players will rage-quit over dying anytime they pop their head over, Guessing this is why there isn't that many World War One mods on most games. But heres hoping there is a way to get round the sprinting, If the admin horse can run faster than an ordinary horse and the admin tools on PW4 allow the admins to run 2x as fast as standard players, I'm sure there must be some way around it.  :P

Rather than pub servers, I believe IE is going to be best served by events and my god they will be fantastic!

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »

Rather than pub servers, I believe IE is going to be best served by events and my god they will be fantastic!

I'm sure they will be! My battalion will be specialsied in raiding trenches, grenades and melee, so I'm hoping the sprint feature can be worked out!

Offline dion1195

• Volunteer
  • How many men have died in the name of freedom?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1tesElbe_Oblt_Folcwar
  • Side: Union
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »

I'm sure they will be! My battalion will be specialsied in raiding trenches, grenades and melee, so I'm hoping the sprint feature can be worked out!

the mod light and darkness made an option to sprint.
Maybe ask them?

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,314.0.html

Offline Sanada

• Private
  • The last samurai.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 28ste_Karelsruhe_Oberst_Erich
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:26 pm »

You obviously never played Battlefield 1916 during an event :P.

Machine gun posts are the prime targets during a charge, the rifles have got average accuracy to take them out from long range, just hop from cover to cover like real ww1 :P

I won't want any sprinting option this shouldn't be a cod-look-a-like the normal running speed is just fine, if you get killed fast isn't that obvious during a trench war.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »
Just occured to me I have something else to reserve, an army as opposed to a regiment. 3rd Division please :) By the way I'm more reserving these on behalf of people in my army/division. I'm not greedy ;)

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »

You obviously never played Battlefield 1916 during an event :P.

Machine gun posts are the prime targets during a charge, the rifles have got average accuracy to take them out from long range, just hop from cover to cover like real ww1 :P

I won't want any sprinting option this shouldn't be a cod-look-a-like the normal running speed is just fine, if you get killed fast isn't that obvious during a trench war.

Nope I haven't played Battlefield 1916 at all. And if you take out the MG team by an easy peasy sniping, that defeats the point of an MG team being able to play due to them getting killed within seconds. If the MG team will be similar to the Arty team, having to set up the gun, reload it, piece it together etc If they die whenever they attempt to reach it because of campers, that'll be just like COD. And run from cover to cover, real WWI? I'm not sure what version of WWI your talking about but there was barely 'cover'.

Spoiler
[close]

The ground had been bombarded, there was barbed wire in the way, wooden pikes, stakes, mines, it was initially open countryside that had turned muddy, what cover is there on an open field? Besides you were told to advance, not crater hop to the enemy like people would do in COD or on Omaha Beach, they hadn't learnt that lesson yet. Another point is, In WWI they had regiments and battalions of hundreds and thousands of men to 'spare' in suicidal charges. Whereas I'm sure there won't be 1000 player regiments, because if its using NW Battle mode, you get one life a round, the round will be over in about 30 seconds with no melee, however if the walk and sprint options accompanied the standard jog option, I think it would be all round more realistic:

Spoiler
[close]

And this will look absolutely nothing-at-all like COD, I'm not too sure where you got that from. You have a sprint option in most games, for example Red Orchestra, you can barely play without sprinting in-case of snipers and artillery. I understand you may not want people sprinting at you, but if you were a soldier in WWI, I'm quite sure you wouldn't want a nice brisk jog across the field like the Napoleonic run speed, because you'll be an easy target. Just look at the Somme, our boys were told to advance by walking, worst day in our military history. So I think a sprint option would come in handy if it was limited with a form of 'stamina' bar, like most games. And yes, it is obvious you will get killed fast, but that is the main reason why a lot of people stopped playing the WWI mod for Battlefield 1942 (Battlefield 1918) because there was only 4-5 players on a server due to there being no way to sprint so they'd die, die and die some more with a little extra death on top of that, and just a sprinkle of dyingnessly deathness. They had no chance to enjoy the full benefits of the mod, because it was a great mod, the feeling 'Will I make it?' that went through many soldiers minds. Hopping above onto no-mans land with a 'I've got to 'cover hop' to the enemy side according to Sanada, probably won't make it but hey ho thats life' way of thinking, I'm sure isn't going to be the best way to enjoy the mod. Much like the feeling I get whenever I attend a 77y line battle "Theres no chance we're going to win." because there are impossible odds against us, so in the end people ragequit and don't enjoy it.  ;)
That was my point as to why I think a sprint option would be useful.  :)

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
  • Bullets have the right of way!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Pte_Ralph_Fitzgerald
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »
Right, I know this is a somewhat derpy question. But is/will there be the option of some form of grenades in this mod?Not sure how they'd be implemented - perhaps remodeled bottles that the Partizani sometimes spawn with...

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »
Right, I know this is a somewhat derpy question. But is/will there be the option of some form of grenades in this mod?Not sure how they'd be implemented - perhaps remodeled bottles that the Partizani sometimes spawn with...

Well if you base it off the Holy Handgrenade in the Admin options, I'm sure they'll be fairly easy to remodel and maybe tone down the explosion slightly. :D

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »
This is a mod for Napoleonic Wars. As such, you should understand that when you try to use the name of a reputable regiment in this community, there could be a disagreement.

The fact is the 84e already existed before you decided to reserve it for this mod, and now you've been asked not to use it. If you had any respect at all for the larger NW community as a whole, I would ask that you revoke or change your reservation.

Doesn't anyone else see why there is this public reaction? What if it was your regiment that someone was trying to impersonate.
He reserved it, get your pathetic argument out of here and vent at something else. We go an entire page without this bullshit and you bring it back up.

Offline Sanada

• Private
  • The last samurai.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 28ste_Karelsruhe_Oberst_Erich
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »
There was plenty of cover in late WW1(which is the mod located) because of the shelling..

your pic is from early WW1

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
  • Bullets have the right of way!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Pte_Ralph_Fitzgerald
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »

Well if you base it off the Holy Handgrenade in the Admin options, I'm sure they'll be fairly easy to remodel and maybe tone down the explosion slightly. :D

Fair point. Didn't even consider than :P With me only being a measly Lance-Corporal I hardly ever witness the Holy Hand-grenades - though is a nice Monty Python reference xD

Offline John Cameron

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant-Colonel
    • View Profile
    • 92nd Gordon Highlanders Forum
  • Nick: John Cameron
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2012, 05:02:14 pm »
Hello dear folks.

The problem with the 84e is not when Aldemar discovered it or if he intended to reserve anything.

The problem is that the 84e is here since more than 2 years now. And they have a reputation to loose if others use their tags. And it is obviously the exact same tags. I am sure some of the folks who play Iron Europe will play NW as well... and other way around. So there will be people with 84e tags in both games but from different regiments. It can only lead to confusion.

People who used regimental tags without being allowed to do so on NW were always banned after a first warning and their refusal to remove / change it. Do you want that to happen to your fellow members? I guess not.

Just be so mature and change it. Shouldn't be a big deal as you do not actively use it yet anyway. The game is not even out yet. You have nothing to loose... just a lot of fights and confusion to avoid.

Best regards,
John Cameron

PS: I have nothing to do with Iron Europe. I just post this here on behalf of admins. As it seems it will cause trouble not only here but also ingame when people use the exact same tags for different regiments.

As for the future I would like to ask both sides to discuss this matter privately or together with mediators such as myself, any other moderator or the heads of the community, namely FSE. I think it is pretty rude to have such a fight on the Iron Europe developer forum.

May i take the chance though. To wish the developers the best of luck with their modification. It sure looks promising :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:25:31 pm by John Cameron »
Lieutenant-Colonel of the 92nd Regiment of Foot - Gordon Highlanders

Founded on the 28th September 2010