Author Topic: Gun Control Debate  (Read 31310 times)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Gun Control Debate
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2013, 09:53:06 pm »
I fully agree with you in the point of self defense. It's just the methods that differ.

The only way to defend yourself against another fellow using firearms ( Which we can agree on that he will likely have if your firearm regulations were to be implemented) is to shoot first, which has a very, very broad possibility of mistakes, where people who incorrectly feel threatened fires first.

So the fact that mistakes happen is a reason to deprive a people of arms, and the ability to defend themselves?

Offline Melmil

• Second Lieutenant
  • Since when are we entitled to anything?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 76th_Ojajajsjsjs_Hans
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »
Thus far, it looks like there's been some fairly staunch advocates and opponents of extremely strict gun control, thus scaring off all the moderates. So here's me waving the moderates back in hoping that some kind of compromise could be reached which would afford the greatest safety and preservation of rights, etc.

I've also noticed a lot of things said about gun crime and Mexico. I live in Arizona just north of the border, and I'm going to go ahead and offer a local perspective on how that works in this state:

On the border, gun crime is limited to individuals involved in the drug trade. On the Mexican border, various groups are vying for control in the hopes that they can spread their influence in the US, thus making the max profit. The nature of this competition is somewhat violent, and occasionally spills over into the US. Generally, however, it seems that the majority of the violence is in Mexico. The most common crimes on the US side seem to be the ranchers who are unfortunately killed or injured as drug transports run across their land, generally armed. Consequently, there's the occasional gunfight reported in news outlets. From what I've read, it seems that the ranchers who are armed are able to defend themselves more effectively, scaring off their attackers without any serious injury. As a result, I feel that firearms (to a degree) assist ranchers in the protection of their livelihood, as they are isolated.

All these stories about how gun crime in Mexico poses some kind of imminent danger to the metropolitan centers is grossly exaggerated. While the drug trade is a violent thing, it seems self-contained from my perspective, with violence (for the most part) being played out within the characters of the trade itself.

Offline Reindly

• Sergeant Major
  • Captaine de Batallion, 1er Marins
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reindly
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2014, 05:23:22 am »
Nope, no reason. Won't do much but get a whole bunch of gun owners extremely angry. We all know what happens when you get a bunch of gun owners angry.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42:06 am »
I forgot this thread existed.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2014, 06:18:14 am »
Nope, no reason. Won't do much but get a whole bunch of gun owners extremely angry. We all know what happens when you get a bunch of gun owners angry.

Well done necroing a thread nearly on its one year anniversary since it was last posted in, but I really don't think this needs to be continued here. I would make a new thread if you really want to talk about it, and even then I'm not sure how well another political discussion thread will go over here, given recent events.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde ImpĂ©riale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
  • Side: Union
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2014, 04:39:41 pm »
Yeah, I really have no wish to let this topic restart.  :P

Please look at the date of the last posts before you post, Reindly.

Kielbasa!