Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2023, 03:43:00 am »
Lately, I have been playing NW daily. Mostly Tropical Paradise and Minisiege. I haven't seen a lot of individuals with regiment tags. There is truth in Zeyden's comment. However, there are still people playing on these servers frequently, but they aren't as populated as ever. And most of them don't like regiments at all. Today, I was on Minisiege and almost the full L-G regiment was there. Good to see them still going.
If you are looking for a NW type game go to Holdfast. I haven't played HF in a while so not sure how active the community is there. I will warn you that the mechanics are quite different compared to warband.

Offline IcePimpDaddy

• Goofiest Forum Member
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CockJohnson
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 06:01:52 am »
Lately, I have been playing NW daily. Mostly Tropical Paradise and Minisiege. I haven't seen a lot of individuals with regiment tags. There is truth in Zeyden's comment. However, there are still people playing on these servers frequently, but they aren't as populated as ever. And most of them don't like regiments at all. Today, I was on Minisiege and almost the full L-G regiment was there. Good to see them still going.
If you are looking for a NW type game go to Holdfast. I haven't played HF in a while so not sure how active the community is there. I will warn you that the mechanics are quite different compared to warband.

never forget when nickcole got ratiod by glenn
CoC > any other team

Offline Chainsor

• Major General
  • Nr13 - Hauptmann, EGS
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr13_Hptm_Chainsor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 09:49:41 am »

how can you say this without having a laugh?

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Xephaeston
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 10:58:36 am »
The problem with Holdfast is in my opinion how the community manages their regiments and events. It is all through seperate Discord servers. It is such a sloppy mess. In my opinion forums are far better to manage such a widespread community. If you use it simply for a regiment to communicate with each other, also because it is a lot cheaper and in most cases free, I could really live with that. Maybe I am growing old I do not know, but in my opinion sometimes what gets invented in the future is not always better than what exists in the past. Besides, the community is also very toxic (ofcourse it is an internet community, every has a bit of that), but still. If you come up with different ideas, they just cannot deal with it.

About the gameplay of Holdfast, I tried it and the gameplay is just not satisfying or by any means enjoyable. This got nothing to do with skill (I know I get shit on by a lot of players) the game feels very unresponsive, hitboxes are bugged. Also, I feel the game is more a shooting fest, especially on the public servers. To this day, I still feel NW is superior than any other Napoleonic game of its genre (except for the graphics, ofcourse Holdfast is eye candy compared to NW). We will have to see if Sword & Musket will be able to pull out something magical. I hope the Napoleonic singleplayer mod (Guns & Powder I think?) will be something good as well.

Only real solution is making NW an independent game which is not possible. FSE tried a while back and if I’m remembering correctly Paradox shot the idea down.
I get your point, it would be awesome to have another standalone Napoleonic game, but if that would have happened, if Paradox accepted it, then I am afraid it would have ended up like BCoF. It's almost like Holdfast but in the ACW period. I could be wrong, but seeing how long they worked on BCoF, and how dead it is right after release. It's worrying.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:15:37 am by Mikhail Maksimov »

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2023, 05:21:55 pm »

how can you say this without having a laugh?
Hehe ;). On a serious note trust me I know the game sucks but just was just giving him an option incase he hasn't played it yet.

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 61e_Col_King-Macbeth
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2023, 06:22:24 pm »
What even happened to EU? Last time I checked like 2-3 months ago there were at least 3 open events at a Saturday EU time now theres 1 event left??? Maybe I just noticed this at a time when an event was cancelled… Did a bunch of regiments check out or something?

Wursti

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2023, 06:23:16 pm »
The Top3 regs disbanded / their Gren companies

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2023, 06:23:56 pm »
The Top3 regs disbanded / their Gren companies

You mean they all disbanded within the last 3 months??? Also could you let me know what they are?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 06:26:00 pm by King_Macbeth »

Wursti

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2023, 06:25:40 pm »
15th_YR, 55th and 45thN Gren company all disbanded after last RGL

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 06:50:02 pm by Wursti »

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2023, 06:50:58 pm »
15th_YR disbanded, 55th disbanded and 45thN Gren company disbanded after last RGL
Oh wow thats a shame to see.

I cant speak for EU since I dont usually like to get involved in EU stuff. But I think NA we had a big decline in 2022 but in 23 I think we are doing pretty well with what we got all things considered. Theres 2 NA events and 2 SA events per week that ppl can attend and although the weekday NA and SA barely get anymore than 70-80 the weekend events have been up to 140 most of the time. Though to be fair its rly inconsistent with a shitton of fluctuation, i.e last week during july 2 some regs called out and we only got about 80-90 people online for the event. But I think we have been doing better to slow down the decline by inviting pubs to play the event and using auto admin to solve most of rule enforcement issues i.e instead of slaying for FOL, just make the shot emit 0 dmg.

And I think the remaining NA regs especially 61e Nr9 CSC and 84th have been doing pretty well to retain numbers despite the decline through other means. Idk about the rest but as long as you think outside the box youll find rcts. I also noticed SA has been having a bit of a resurgence. Regs like the BGP LFR and 6L have resurfaced and have been playing pretty consistently which is a big deal since they also get rcts and keep their regiments alive. Im rly hopeful for 6L since they an argentine regiment and argentine players have a similar issue as to French players. They almost always only stick with their own and never with anyone else so now that there is an Argentine regiment again im hopeful thatll get more bros playing. The big thing right now is that I think NA and SA regs have never been closer before. We got a whole thing organized where the admins of NA and SA events coordinate and discuss things together and agree one scheduling to keep both regions as alive as possible.

Also as long as we got 1 public server for NA overall, BBG Bot survival, I think we should be alright as is. Alot of new players rly like playing bot survival and its not a terrible place to find rcts. Whenever theres an NA event, ill always send a shoutout to the BBG server to come play and I think now a good amt of the pubs have begun to routinely play the NA event because of it.

If you asked me right now how long NA will last. Id prob say at least until early 2025 at this rate unless Bannerlord fixes its shit until then. some of you might call BS on this. But as long as I dont die or get a woman accidentally pregnant (cuz nw players get babes 24/7) im willing to continue to host NA events and I dont see any reason now as to why other NA and SA regs wud stop playing now except for like 41e cuz the comp league might end soon afaik (dont quote me on this i dont run the league just noticed there havent been any games going on). But all the other regs seem to be fine playing just public events anyway.

Asia has been a fuckfest recently with some anti GM drama against zhengdes 2ic and the new leader of the 60th. But I dont think Asia will die either anytime soon.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 06:54:11 pm by King_Macbeth »

Wursti

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 06:55:40 pm »
Yea Warbands player numbers are increasing while Bannerlord's is decreasing aswell

And thats without WSE taken into account, so I think the state didnt change in the past 1-2 years, its just the ppl that leave that try their best to talk it dead

Offline tommyxd

• Major General
  • Swigma Male
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Kpt_tommyxd
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 06:58:09 pm »
Yea Warbands player numbers are increasing while Bannerlord's is decreasing aswell

And thats without WSE taken into account, so I think the state didnt change in the past 1-2 years, its just the ppl that leave that try their best to talk it dead
Also june-july has always been dead AF for nw for years now cause exams and then holidays/vacations. Same thing happened in 2022, 2021 was more alive around this time period due to EGS

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2023, 07:02:02 pm »

Yeah, I am a bit worried to see that the 3 biggest in EU have disbanded/downsized though. But overall, from my experience, most new players I rct are just flat out uninterested to play comp shit. They just want to play huge ass linebattles and duke it out against others. I remember back on 2018-19 every once in a while I would have ppl leave the 61e and join a competitive only regiment but that hasnt rly happened to us since like 2020. most of the ppl on these forums who are active are comp players so they are the ones who are naturally most likely to preach about the game being dead here.

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2023, 07:03:06 pm »

Also june-july has always been dead AF for nw for years now cause exams and then holidays/vacations. Same thing happened in 2022, 2021 was more alive around this time period due to EGS

Yeah true in EU a couple regiments go on break during summer

Offline tommyxd

• Major General
  • Swigma Male
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Kpt_tommyxd
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2023, 07:06:28 pm »

Yeah, I am a bit worried to see that the 3 biggest in EU have disbanded/downsized though. But overall, from my experience, most new players I rct are just flat out uninterested to play comp shit. They just want to play huge ass linebattles and duke it out against others. I remember back on 2018-19 every once in a while I would have ppl leave the 61e and join a competitive only regiment but that hasnt rly happened to us since like 2020. most of the ppl on these forums who are active are comp players so they are the ones who are naturally most likely to preach about the game being dead here.
Compared to 2018-19 nowadays there is a pretty big skill gap between the comp players that are still playing and the newer players which doesn't make comp very attractive to new ppl unless u market it specifically for them with a league 2 which didn't really work last EGS since the top l2 teams demolished everyone else and teams that actually consisted of new players got stomped.