Author Topic: Dark Ages and Medieval Reenacting Thread (Metalhead united)  (Read 16157 times)

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Dark Ages and Medieval Reenacting Thread (Metalhead united)
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:30:48 pm »
Here we discuss the Middle Ages reenacting.   

I have started emailing Micel Folcland group about joining. Will be doing Viking and Anglo Saxon as my impression. I honestly am looking forward to start right into this and slay some monks with my horned helmet......jk I know they never wore the horns (thank goodness, they looks quite bit silly) 

Question to you metalheads, where do you recommend getting your stuff from? Can be from EU or NA, I dont give a flying mead where it come from as long it's good.   

http://www.micelfolcland.org/Shopping_Sources.htm

Here is my group shopping recommendations. Thoughts? This group have authenticity officer as well, I shall go under his wing as soon I join. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:19:12 am by DeoVindice61 »

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
Re: Medieval Reenacting Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:25 pm »
Marchand-medieval.com

A French guy, his work is the best I've seen, reasonable pricing, too.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:51 pm »
Dirty medieval plebs, go back to your farms and pay homage to your lord.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »
Dirty medieval plebs, go back to your farms and pay homage to your lord.

Get the fuck out of here napoleonic farb.

Marchand-medieval.com

Stuff looks good but tons of it are out of stock :/   

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »
armae.com is selling a lot of medieval stuff, but I have no idea if it is any good. I know nothing about medieval stuff.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »
medieval scrubs
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:10 pm »
medieval scrubs

Blackpowder pussies.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:08 am »
I'm a big fan of these guys.

http://www.medieval-market.com/
They pretty clearly label the centuries you'll find stuff in (check with your authenticity officer if you're unsure about anything or want a clearer date) which a lot of traders don't do because they want to make a sale even if they're giving you inaccurate crap.

I get my linen stuff from them - usually the 'average' stuff, though I notice it's a bit thin - possibly thicker for their top grade stuff? Which is preferable, especially for braies.
Can't comment on their wool stuff - haven't ordered anything because I'm unsure about what sort of colours their dyes are. Some are more accurate than others.

Their gambesons seem pretty cool as well, I'm trying to see if I can get one that's knee length whilst still being fastenable at the front - which is farby as fuck, but once you've filled a gambeson with sweat and have to get someone to help you out of it, you'll appreciate having one which goes on like a coat.
I have an arming cap in natural linen by them and it looks great, only criticism is it's thick as hell, I should probably have ordered it with two, or maybe only one, layer of wadding, instead of the default three.

You might have to search hard to find some of the 'early' stuff they have, I'm sure I've seen some, even if it's just cool little accessories. They definitely focus on the high and late periods.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:46:15 am by Ililsa »
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:40 am »
I'm a big fan of these guys.

http://www.medieval-market.com/
They pretty clearly label the centuries you'll find stuff in (check with your authenticity officer if you're unsure about anything or want a clearer date) which a lot of traders don't do because they want to make a sale even if they're giving you inaccurate crap.

I get my linen stuff from them - usually the 'average' stuff, though I notice it's a bit thin - possibly thicker for their top grade stuff? Which is preferable, especially for braies.
Can't comment on their wool stuff - haven't ordered anything because I'm unsure about what sort of colours their dyes are. Some are more accurate than others.

Their gambesons seem pretty cool as well, I'm trying to see if I can get one that's knee length whilst still being fastenable at the front - which is farby as fuck, but once you've filled a gambeson with sweat and have to get someone to help you out of it, you'll appreciate having one which goes on like a coat.
I have an arming cap in natural linen by them and it looks great, only criticism is it's thick as hell, I should probably have ordered it with two, or maybe only one, layer of wadding, instead of the default three.

You might have to search hard to find some of the 'early' stuff they have, I'm sure I've seen some, even if it's just cool little accessories. They definitely focus on the high and late periods.

they dont seem to have many Dark Ages items...

Marchand-medieval.com

Stuff looks good but tons of it are out of stock :/   

they will get in stock very quickly, trust me.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 03:22:02 am »
That's good because i really like one of the tunic so much but will check with authenticity officer first.

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 03:29:16 am »
That's good because i really like one of the tunic so much but will check with authenticity officer first.

any authenticity officer that says these arent correct, is an eternal farb

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 04:05:40 am »
http://www.marchand-medieval.com/medieval/lang-en/medieval-tunic-viking-saxon-norman/741-viking-tunic-wool.html

This is what i'm likin'   Dunno about the cloak thing but dat tunic. So purty.

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:08 am »
http://www.marchand-medieval.com/medieval/lang-en/medieval-tunic-viking-saxon-norman/741-viking-tunic-wool.html

This is what i'm likin'   Dunno about the cloak thing but dat tunic. So purty.

the cloak looks later medieval, and the tunic, it wont come embroided.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:34 am »
Poop. 

I'll add it myself later on then.  There's so many recommendation on the micel's website maybe I'll find one based in US instead of France if i'm only getting a plain wool tunic lol. 

as for the cloak, yeah i figured. I'm going for the plain viking look.  Spangenhelm or nasal helms, woolen tunic, chain mail and belt. I really like that look.  Don't worry, I wont be hunting down viking king kit lel. 

Edit:  Wooooooooohoooooooooooo Micel's group responded to my email, commence the joining process!!! Free death hug for everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:28:18 am by DeoVindice61 »

Offline George385

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:56 am »
Poop. 

I'll add it myself later on then.  There's so many recommendation on the micel's website maybe I'll find one based in US instead of France if i'm only getting a plain wool tunic lol. 

as for the cloak, yeah i figured. I'm going for the plain viking look.  Spangenhelm or nasal helms, woolen tunic, chain mail and belt. I really like that look.  Don't worry, I wont be hunting down viking king kit lel. 

Edit:  Wooooooooohoooooooooooo Micel's group responded to my email, commence the joining process!!! Free death hug for everyone!!!

Dark Age embroidery is severely not cheap, but you only need it if you're doing a nobleman impression, as the poor could not afford to have their stuff embroided. Here, my impression is an Anglo-Saxon nobleman from the 10th-11th century, I try and focus on Hastings though, to get my kit up to speed for the 950th anniversary of the battle. Dark Age embroidery costs roughly about $250 per meter, for your whole kit you will need about 6-7 meters, that's if your impression is a nobleman/wealthy person.